SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Charging Rear Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Charging Rear Battery

Posted on another forum, but thought I would check here too. I know this type of post has been mentioned here & there, with pros and cons of applying a maintenance charger to the rear battery. However, due to many collector cars I just do not drive mine maybe once or twice per week or so and would like to hear the pros & cons of having a maintenance charter on the trunk battery. I heard some cons already where doing such a thing could burn up the electricals, which concerns me. I asked reputable MBZ dealers, and got no benificial advise.

On my SL600 I use a Battery Tender shown in the link below with no problems yet, with connections hooked on the battery, and i have that wire exit under the trunk porthole to connect to the charger outside.
Battery Tender® Plus

On my SL65 it came with a MBZ maintenance charger in the trunk (CTEK I believe), and I keep it connected to the battery and worked the plug wire to exit outside to plug into an extension cord when I want to charge. So that is what I do on my SL65 with no problems yet:

Charger plug exiting trunk by WIKD Cars & Such, on Flickr

Charger plug from trunk by WIKD Cars & Such, on Flickr
Old 03-07-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
That is a CTEK charger MB have just branded it, the trickle charge is what it is designed for and that type of charger cycles the battery when connected so no ill effects will be had.

I don't like the power cord through the trunk floor idea much.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:23 PM

Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
[QUOTE=F1BHP;6356107

I don't like the power cord through the trunk floor idea much.[/QUOTE]

But how else could it be done and still close the trunk to keep the charge going? This way for me anyway it is easy plug in, and when not plugged in, the brown cord just tucks behind that black plastic shield.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
I just close the trunk on the wire, I have had no issues, quick connect fitting with the charger hanging from the roof in the garage.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by F1BHP
I just close the trunk on the wire, I have had no issues, quick connect fitting with the charger hanging from the roof in the garage.
That sounds good too. My trunk must be too tight, as it was squeezing the wire quite a bit when I tried that way. Plus I keep my car outside some, and didn't want the cord just sticking out of the trunk drawing someone over to mess with it. Plugging in like this I also tell my neighbors I have an electric MBZ.