SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Hi new here just bought my car and have ABC ISSUE ;(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320cd sport & SL55
Unhappy Hi new here just bought my car and have ABC ISSUE ;(

First of all, Hi everyone, after a very long time i managed to buy myself an sl mercedes. Its a black low mile car thats been sitting for a while.

I have experienced the worst problem already and joined to hopefully make some new friends and help possibly to fix my car.

The situation is nothing happens when abc is hit. There is fluid all over the floor but the rear end is sitting high and the floor slammed to the ground. The resovoir is empty and there doesn't seem to be an obvious leak near the block valve.

However under the front middle of the engine i can just about see fluid sitting there but can see from exactly where its coming.

I am very good with cars and stripping them etc so any ideas what and where the leak could be from. Also what should i do to temporarily raise the car.

Please help. I know this is a first post.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 SL500
Do not start the engine...

If your reservoir is dry, you will seize the ABC pump. Read everything you can on the forums on ABC to learn about the pump, fluid, filter, front and rear valves, four accumulators, struts, split hoses, etc. There is a wealth of information. Hopefully some experienced experts will chime in.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:20 AM

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 SL55 AMG
As you sound mechanically inclined start here and read up on the ABC system:

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html
Old 03-16-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Probably need SDS to resolve.

If the reservoir and pump runs dry, it senses no pressure and sends a message to lock down the system. No amount of button pushing or battery disconnects will fix it. This happened to me during an ABC fluid flush.
When this occurs it flashes a red ABC warning that can only be reset with the Star Diagnostics System (SDS). You need to take it to an independent or dealer to pressurize the system and reset the warning.
Then you can tackle the leak, which is likely to be a hose. Common for this car unfortunately.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM

320cd sport & SL55
Originally Posted by kbob999
If the reservoir and pump runs dry, it senses no pressure and sends a message to lock down the system. No amount of button pushing or battery disconnects will fix it. This happened to me during an ABC fluid flush.
When this occurs it flashes a red ABC warning that can only be reset with the Star Diagnostics System (SDS). You need to take it to an independent or dealer to pressurize the system and reset the warning.
Then you can tackle the leak, which is likely to be a hose. Common for this car unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for enlightening me and thanks kbob. Yes i have the red abc saying car too low stop vehicle. So i need to have it reset and re pressurised? Only then can i find the leak. Cheers i will try that and get back to you guys.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:19 PM

320cd sport & SL55
Originally Posted by vtvette
As you sound mechanically inclined start here and read up on the ABC system:

http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully....y-part-of.html

Good link nice one Vtvette thanks