SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL550 SAL Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
SL550 SAL Warranty

I just bought a 2009 SL550 and was offered a 4 year 80Km warranty form SAL Warranty protection plan. It was $3500 with a $300 deductible. In your view- Is this worth taking?
Terry
Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
I do not know SAL (nor did I research it before posting this), however I did do a fair amount of investigation into extended warranties about a month ago. I purchased a 2011 SL w/ 21k miles and still under factory warranty. It is a CPO car so will get the additional year of CPO warranty.

The big points I took from my research were:

- Must have an exclusionary policy and look at what is specifically not covered. These are typically the most expensive policies offered, for a reason though.

- Insurance company backed plans tend to be the most financially sound although that is not absolute. The big players I was looking at were EasyCare, Carchex, Endurance and Warranty Direct. Financial backing, do they do their own claims processing, are repairs permitted at any licensed mechanic...these are a few of the criteria to consider.

- There are numerous websites purporting to evaluate although their validity I did not try to substantiate. I looked at several and these were the big names that seemed to keep coming up. I also asked a nearby independent mechanic about experiences he had. I rattled off the big names and he seemed to recognize them as legitimate, reasonable.

I'm certain the premium varies by car model, mileage, age, etc. The highest-level exclusionary policies I was looking at were in the $5k-$6k range...minimal deductible. These were five year plans. I won't need one for over a year so was not buying now. Also in the running was the MB Extended Limited Warranty. It is zero deductible, period. It covers everything except wear items...it specifically covers the ABC suspension. The dealers will start at retail ($4,695) but if you shop you can lower that substantially. If you do not use it it will be refunded, once into the coverage period refunds are prorated, and it is transferable.

I purchased the MB warranty last week.

Hope I did not get too far off-topic by not commenting on SAL warranty...sharing my experience regarding warranties. Mark
Old 05-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550
Thanks Mark and much appreciated. It is a gamble for sure.