Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s Edition 1, ML250
2003 Sl500 ABC problem. C1525-001

Dreaded ABC problems

2003 SL500 w/ 70k miles.
In the past few months the ABC visit workshop warning has started coming on. At first it was just occasionally, I flushed the system and changed the filter and problem seemed to clear up. In the past month it started coming on a lot.

Usually when first starting the car it would be ok, but after running for a while, or after stopping and restarting, the warning would come on- sometimes blue, sometimes red. Now, it's usually red when I start the car and I'm not driving it further until I figure this out.

I have an eBay-China special diagnostics package (not the real STAR system) and the only code that ABC system s setting is c1525-001 critical vehicle level front left. HOWEVER- the car is sitting level- it's not sagging at all on the front left or elsewhere.

The only other odd thing I'm seeing with the computer is there's an Airmatic/ABC dynamic height monitor function that reads the height of the front left, front right, and rear. Ive found no info on how to interpret the readings I'm getting or what the expected values should be (and I'm not even sure it's a valid test for the R230, as its under a subsection of the R211 IIRC rather than the 230). The only reason I mention it is it reads a height of ~-20mm front left, +120mm front right, and -115 rear. With the car sitting level I would expect a similar reading on all 3? Since the front left reads so much lower than the front right it seems like it ought to be related to the C1525-001 code.

I found that the little pivot arm type level sensor in the front wheel well is what's generating this reading. As a test I switched the left and right sensors, but the height reading remained the same (it did not follow the sensor). I then unhooked the mechanical arm of the sensor and manually adjusted it to produce a height reading similar to the right side (~+120mm). Upon clearing the C1525-001 code and restarting the vehicle the ABC Warning reappeared after about 10 seconds, with the same fault code. So- all my fiddling with the sensors produced no benefit at all grr... I'm not even certain this is related to my issue but it sure seems like it ought to be.

It seems like this is a sensor problem but haven't been able to make sense of it.

While I was at it, I pulled the Accumulators and pulse dampener since I read they tend to go bad around this age. They all looked ok- I didn't see that the diaphragm had collapsed into any of them and none were full of fluid. I should probably go ahead and replace them anyway, but I don't want to spend the $$ until I'm confident I can resolve the current issue I'm having.

Sorry for writing a novel for my first post here. I'm out of ideas, help help help!

Thanks

Last edited by Laardvark; 07-16-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Not a pro, but it sounds like a bad sensor inside the strut/shock. Unhook the wire to the top of the strut and see how the car responds. Be careful if you drive it this way.