SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Front bushings cracked.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Front bushings cracked.

The front bushings are cracked on my 2003 SL55 AMG. The car has approximately 80,700 miles. I have three questions:

1) Are the bushings part of the control arm/thrust arm or are they a separate part? In other words, in order to replace the bushings, do I have to replace the entire control arm/thrust arm or can I just replace the bushings by themselves?

2) Repairpal.com says that if the bushings are not repaired quickly, damage to the front subframe unit can occur, which is very expensive to repair. Is this correct? Has anyone heard of damage occurring to the front subframe unit if cracked or broken bushings are not repaired quickly?

3) Repairpal.com also says that updated control arms are available that prevent damage to the front subframe unit when the bushings wear out. Is this correct? Are there updated control arms that can be purchased that prevent damage to the front subframe unit when the bushings wear out?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
1. Bushing is separate part, replaceable, typical wear part.
2. When the rubber crack is so bad that it separates, the control arm can rub the subframe, causing damage to both.
3. I believe the update is a pair of large washers that mount to either side of the bushing, and prevent direct rubbing of the arm to subframe.

See this thread for info on DIY of the bushing: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...m-bushing.html
Old 07-17-2015, 02:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
The bushing is not part of the control arm, as stated above, and can be replaced alone, but you will need the proper tool to press in the new bushing. Otherwise, replacing the control arm all together may be easier and avoid you from having to buy the proper tools or have a shop do it for you. Otherwise, do your research on a good replacement and see what you find. We do offer some here, not sure if they're the updated control arm though, but Lemforder is a good brand. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2005 SL65
More info here

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...-bushings.html