SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Cranks real bad on an immediate re-start after running 30 minutes in park.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL 500
My 2004 SL has an issue with the batteries. Does the alarm/siren run down the front starter battery or the rear one?

The car has had one battery replacement, I am on the second. It's about 5 years old. The dealership recently said they were fine, but I do not know if they were load tested. They appear to be recharging on a highway run. I do not get these bad starts at all after it sits overnight, just if I leave it running in park for 30 minyutes and attempt to do a re-start right away.

It generally starts weak, but it gets a very rough start, almost no start, after she sits parked, on and idle for 15-30 minutes. I then turn it off and turn it back on right away: that is when the start is really rough.

No warning lights. I just get a "dead battery" type of start after letting it sit runnning in park for 15-30 minutes, then turn it off and on.

Could it be an alternator/regulator issue or just a bad starter battery? I had the alarm siren issue for months before it was fixed. I dont know if that drains the front or rear battery or both. Also, why would it be weak under such circumstances but not ever as much as after a start following an overnight sit?

I do not get these ultra-weak starts after a 12 hour sit or if the car is not left running in park. (I usually keep the car in park, running, for 30 minutes while I eat my lunch in it.)

I had the siren replaced after the thing was alarming for about 3 months. It may have drawn down the batteries but the oil change shop said they were fine.

Engine running for 30 minutes with heavy load wont restart until another 15 minute sit. Other than taht it starts fine.

Thank you.

Last edited by joeorzechowski; 07-26-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: delete it
Old 07-28-2015, 10:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
The starter battery needs replacing, it is either not the correct crank rating or it is on its way out. It could also be an alternator issue.

The reason it starts after it has sat for a while is because the aux. or trunk battery is charging the starter battery through a DC/DC converter while turned off.

Do you ever get a limited function message with some items not able to be used, like the A/C?