SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Parking lamp bulb dropped in housing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'11 SL550 - '08 ML350
Parking lamp bulb dropped in housing

I was replacing the passenger side parking lamp bulb and I must have twisted it wrong or something, because the bulb pulled out of the holder and fell inside the housing. It is part way in the hole it is supposed to be in, so at the front of the housing. I don't see anyway to get the bulb short of removing the front bumper and pulling the entire headlight housing out. There is not any room to work with. The only way I can see it is using a mirror and flash light. My fingers can't reach it, because wires are in the way. Any suggestions or confirmations?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2007 E350; 2018 GLE350
Can you see the bulb? Can you get to it with a flexible-grabber gadget ... the long, flexible gizmo with a four-prong grabber on the end? Or could you snake a coat hanger wire to it? If you can, I'd try sticking some play-dough or even chewing gum ... anything that's malleable and sticky ... to the end of the wire and try plucking it out. Good luck, Mate. Let us know how this ends.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 AM

'11 SL550 - '08 ML350
Originally Posted by Heatwave
Can you see the bulb? Can you get to it with a flexible-grabber gadget ... the long, flexible gizmo with a four-prong grabber on the end? Or could you snake a coat hanger wire to it? If you can, I'd try sticking some play-dough or even chewing gum ... anything that's malleable and sticky ... to the end of the wire and try plucking it out. Good luck, Mate. Let us know how this ends.
I'll try one of those methods. It's tricky because I have to hold a mirror and light in one hand and the pick up tool in the other. No other way to see what I'm doing because of the tight space constraints.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
I'm not that familiar with the '11 facelift model lighting...but is it possible to pull the inner fender liner to access the bulb? Not sure which bulb you dropped
Old 07-27-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
might try this

chewing gum sounds great, if that fails you might try a drop of 5 min epoxy on the end of a wire, touch it to the bulb, keep it in place on the bulb as best you can and let it set up an hour or two. It should form a tight bond and with a little luck it will come out. GOOD luck

Moretech
Old 07-27-2015, 09:25 PM

'11 SL550 - '08 ML350
Originally Posted by kbob999
I'm not that familiar with the '11 facelift model lighting...but is it possible to pull the inner fender liner to access the bulb? Not sure which bulb you dropped
Here are some pictures to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

The yellow arrow is pointing to the housing access.

Now the mirror needed to see inside. The high beam is at the top and the black hole under it is where the parking lamp goes. The wires you see are right in front of the opening and cannot be moved.