SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Replacement Key Fob Reprogramme/Recode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E280 CDI Sport
Replacement Key Fob Reprogramme/Recode?

Hi, I've read several threads that state that a replacement key fob can be reprogrammed by following specific key-press sequences, but they all differ. So I'm hoping for a definitive answer plus sequence (if possible) ... I have a 2005 SL350 (R230) with Keyless-Go

I purchased a Chrome Key Fob to replace my original all-black Plastic Key Fob (see picture) because I really prefer the bling and quality of the chrome - it looks so much better than black plastic. Equally, I was advised that this replacement was compatible with an SL. However, I have 2 issues:

1. The Chrome Key does not turn in the Ignition.
2. The reprogramming instructions I chose to use do not work.

As the key does not turn in the Ignition, does this indicate that the key fob is incompatible with my Ignition Switch, or is it the fact that the key is not programmed to my vehicle, which is causing the issue?

Is there a specific reprogramming sequence that I need to follow, which will resolve both issues?

Grateful for a definitive way forward and/or resolution - it would be great to be able to use a chrome key fob with my special vehicle, thanks.

Wolfgang Souter
Westbury, Wilts, UK
2005 SL350 (R230)
Attached Thumbnails Replacement Key Fob Reprogramme/Recode?-p1010102.jpg  
Old 08-01-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350, 2012 SL550
Here in the US, the key fob can only be programmed by a dealer. The replacement fobs come from MB not linked to any vehicle. One must provide the VIN and proof of ownership before the dealer will program it to link with your car.

Regards,
Don