SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Warning Light - Trunk Lid Open (What to do?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning Light - Trunk Lid Open (What to do?)

I have a 2007 SL55 AMG that is a weekend driver for the most part (little over 6K miles). Last week, I got a reminder for "Service B missed for 27 days." Then when I pulled out of the garage, the warning sign came on indicating my trunk lid is open. It was strange as the trunk opens effortlessly with my remote and even tried the driver side switch. The trunk lid closes easily also. Without the warning sign, I would not think something is wrong! And then, I found out that the top wouldn't come down either... I assume because the system thinks the trunk lid is open.

I'm now doing what I didn't do before. Today, I took the car to a non-dealer shop; the same mechanic that services my Volvo XC90 for years, a reasonable guy and very trustworthy. I asked him to look at the problem and also perform Service B.

Anyone in the forum ever experienced this? And what did you do? Also with the real low miles - is Service B necessary every two years? I had been taking it to the dealer before and I just don't trust them anymore after my last experience with them on another issue. But that's another thread....

Thanks,
Bari
Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
2002 C4 Cab, 2014 Audi A5 cab, 2017 X5 35d
My 2003 gives me the 'close boot lid' warning on occasion. I'm sure it's a sensor in the trunk that is malfunctioning as I know the 'boot lid' is closed. The power top will not work when this warning is active. My solution is to open the trunk lid and close it firmly then give it a push downward to be certain it's contacting the sensor. Usually works.
This is one of those quirks one should expect to deal with in a 12 year old car. No big deal!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Originally Posted by bari
I have a 2007 SL55 AMG that is a weekend driver for the most part (little over 6K miles).
Also with the real low miles - is Service B necessary every two years?
Service B has a brake bleed, and is intended to clear any moisture from the brakes. Brake fluid absorbs moisture, even when not driven.
With the very low miles you could possibly wait another year, but then you could get rusty brakes. Depends on your climate...if in Arizona no problem...if in Florida I'd do it every 2 years. Mercedes recommends in the Spring, after winter rain/snow can be absorbed.
The other B items are not that critical, like cabin filters and such. They are more mileage based, not time based.