SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Front valve block R&R'd, No more sagging but has one new issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230, W201(s), W124 & E31 and of course, a Prius
Front valve block R&R'd, No more sagging but has one new issue

I recently completed R&R of my front valve block cleaning, with new accumulator, new O-rings and square Tetra Seals installed in the 4 pressure sensors; front end now no longer sags. At normal setting with no lights on ABC switch, I get a reading of about 27" from ground to fender lip, but do notice the right front is 1/8" higher; this condition existed even before the valve block was R&R'd. I noticed this condition existed for the opposite corners, that the left rear would be 1/8" higher than right rear. Is this normal?

I took my 2005 SL (65k on the clock) out on a 20 mile test drive and everything appeared normal until I came home and made a slow right hand turn into my driveway. My driveway has a very slight incline, perhaps about a 1/12 slope. During this slow right hand turn (Less than 5mph), I heard the chime followed by the red ABC Car Too Low warning message. I stopped the car in its track and then the message disappeared in about 10 seconds.

I put the car in the garage and the first thing I check was the fluid level. It was low and took about 1/2 liter to bring to proper level. I examined the under carriage and found nothing unusual. Hoping the low fluid level was the culprit that triggered the red warning message, I backed the car out and duplicated the right turn movement, and there it was , the red message ABC warning message appeared again and then went away quickly.

I made a few left hand turns into the driveway and did not get any red warning message. I made one final right hand turn to put the car into the garage, but this time, I increased my speed a little, may be 4 to 9 mph and lo and behold, no red warning message. Has anyone any idea what is happening here?

I like to share that during this R&R process, I saw the hose with the banjo fitting that attached to the pulsation dampener was bad. The hose (230 320 8153) was 'Sweating' but there was no visible sign of hydraulic fluid droplet. I reaffirmed this condition by cleaning the hose while R&R of the valve block, and checked and found same condition during ops check of ABC system. I am now waiting for this hose from ECS Tuning.

Last edited by alas; 08-23-2015 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added text.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
SL550
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I cannot speak to the scenario where your ABC warning light came on. Some combination of variables that triggers the computer, but if no leaks and good fluid level and does not come on in otherwise normal driving...just enjoy. About the 1/8" side to side difference, I'm no expert but have done the measurement exercises you described. I gotta believe 1/8" difference is well within normal tolerances. Is it different with the engine running? Have you measured corner height differences on any other vehicles (with conventional suspensions)?
Old 08-27-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230, W201(s), W124 & E31 and of course, a Prius
I have confirmed after many test runs (Below and above 5mph) onto my slightly inclined driveway, the error only appears under extremely slow right hand turn. So now I will just increase my speed slightly to avoid triggering that error. Regarding the O-rings, I am confident the O-rings were properly installed as the system is functioning correctly to date (No unusual condition noted during vehicle operation and after shutdown). So for now, I'll treat this condition as chronic nuisance, but will keep a watchful eye out on the system.

Moving forward to the next task. I have just replaced the pressure hose to the pulsation dampener, as well as the accumulator; I leak checked and ops checked the system with nothing unusual noted, except for one thing, which I never really paid attention to before. I am hearing this sound of air escaping (Hissing) from the engine compartment after shutdown. I've isolated this noise to be coming from the ABC pump area, and the soft air hissing noise is steady, like pressure relief, and last only a minute after vehicle shutdown. I've bled the system several times to no avail, sound still persists. Should I be worried about this new discovery?

** Update: After reading several blogs last night on hissing noise from the ABC pump area that may relate to my concern, I am happy to report the issue has been resolved, and I wish to share the procedures I exercised from reading the forum board.

1. I jacked the right front so the right wheel/tire rest on the Rhino ramp all night, leaving the front end tilted up on the right.
2. This morning, I re-positioned the floor jack and raised the entire front end so both tires cleared the ground.
3. With ignition switched to #1 pos., I turn the wheel, lock to lock, 30 times to bleed the steering system; there was certainly air in the system as some of the fluid was spitting up and out of the reservoir.
4. Lowered car, start engine and turn the wheel lock to lock 3 times then went on short test drive, got into the garage and there was no more hissing noise from the ABC pump area after shutdown. Fluid loss was very minimal.

Last edited by alas; 08-27-2015 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Text correction.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
I have had no problem with my ABC and I also turned right into my driveway on a slope and had exactly the same thing happen about two weeks ago. Parked, turned the car off and on and no problem then or since.

Originally Posted by alas
I recently completed R&R of my front valve block cleaning, with new accumulator, new O-rings and square Tetra Seals installed in the 4 pressure sensors; front end now no longer sags. At normal setting with no lights on ABC switch, I get a reading of about 27" from ground to fender lip, but do notice the right front is 1/8" higher; this condition existed even before the valve block was R&R'd. I noticed this condition existed for the opposite corners, that the left rear would be 1/8" higher than right rear. Is this normal?

I took my 2005 SL (65k on the clock) out on a 20 mile test drive and everything appeared normal until I came home and made a slow right hand turn into my driveway. My driveway has a very slight incline, perhaps about a 1/12 slope. During this slow right hand turn (Less than 5mph), I heard the chime followed by the red ABC Car Too Low warning message. I stopped the car in its track and then the message disappeared in about 10 seconds.

I put the car in the garage and the first thing I check was the fluid level. It was low and took about 1/2 liter to bring to proper level. I examined the under carriage and found nothing unusual. Hoping the low fluid level was the culprit that triggered the red warning message, I backed the car out and duplicated the right turn movement, and there it was , the red message ABC warning message appeared again and then went away quickly.

I made a few left hand turns into the driveway and did not get any red warning message. I made one final right hand turn to put the car into the garage, but this time, I increased my speed a little, may be 4 to 9 mph and lo and behold, no red warning message. Has anyone any idea what is happening here?

I like to share that during this R&R process, I saw the hose with the banjo fitting that attached to the pulsation dampener was bad. The hose (230 320 8153) was 'Sweating' but there was no visible sign of hydraulic fluid droplet. I reaffirmed this condition by cleaning the hose while R&R of the valve block, and checked and found same condition during ops check of ABC system. I am now waiting for this hose from ECS Tuning.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
sl500 R230
Sounds like your ABC pressure drops under the alarm value when you fully engage the ABC pump on the steering and abc side at the same time. Check your ABC pump pressure during this condition. Furthermore what is the condition of all your other accumulators ( Pulsation damper and return accumulator 215 and 415)? If one of these is shot you will see a pressure drop under load and triggering this error.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Like mbwolf said, I'd look at the pulse dampener in the rear of the left front wheel well. It takes the highest pressures from the pump, and if failed could throw this error. An SDS would store the error and show why you have this red warning.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 widebody - built viper - ls1 turbo 350z
sounds like an accumulator issue