SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Vario Roof / Trunk Assist Issue (Pics Inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Vario Roof / Trunk Assist Issue (Pics Inside)

Backgound.
2004 SL500. Previous to current issue, the PSE pump has not been working properly (the keyless entry remote opens up car locks but does not close them - I have to manually lock the doors; the trunk assist feature does not work - I have to forcefully close trunk for it to property latch in-place).

Current Issue.
Went to lower top. The system stopped at the tail-end of the process (see pics below). I opened up the trunk to inspect things. Realized that my passenger-side trunk/hardtop flap was hanging lower than usual and probably caused the issue. Closed the trunk and physically taped the trunk/hardtop flap in-place in order to engage sensor and finish the process of opening the top.

Went to lower roof and although I closed the trunk, the car believes the trunk is still open (red dot on interior trunk switch on driver door is illuminated, dashboard tells me to close trunk when vario roof switch on center console is pulled). In the cars defense the trunk does seem to be open as it has a bit of play in it, but I cant seem to get it any tighter or firmly latched on.

It seems like the first step is to figure how to get the trunk properly close, then address the trunk/hardtop flap since I wont be able to get the roof to budge with the trunk properly closing. Thoughts?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Problem fixed...sorta.

Solution: Carefully "slam" the trunk downwards AND forwards. Re-posting instructions on how to manually close vario roof for anyone that may need it. Good read.

Now onto fixing the passenger side flap.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
CLUBVIEW (09-01-2016)
Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 SL500
Gutsy! Thanks for follow up posting, so we all learn.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 Mazda 3 & '08 Lex IS250
i don't know if I would stick my hand in there like the pictures show.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:03 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
2003 sl 500
close trunk lid tightly

I had to work this trunk lid issue also. If you can get the top closed completely I suggest you then tackle the PSE pump and then see if the soft close mechanism of the lid will now close it tightly and the red light goes out. You can always try the epoxy method in the forum if the lid close mechanism has the usual cracks in the case. It worked great for me a few months back and is still fine, There is a brass colored rod in the mechanism that must be carefully positioned to get a good and tight close of the lid. There is a ball and socket clamp on the rod that is a bugger to open or close. it must be properly positioned on the rod or the light will not go out. As high up on the rod as you can go. If the soft close feature can finally work the trunk lid properly part of your top open/close may be solved. Plenty of info on the flap droop already in the forum. My trunk lid is tight when closed, no red light either, many thanks to the forum and all of its members.