SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Removing roof and roll bar hydraulics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL350
Question Removing roof and roll bar hydraulics

My roof locking cylinder has started leaking on a 2005 SL350. I plan to remove all 11 hydraulic cylinders to have them rebuilt. This way I only have to remove the interior panels once. I have access to the full Star system so have read all of the documented procedures. What is not clear is whether I should remove the roll bar cylinders or the roof cylinders first.

My concern is releasing the pump pressure in the lines. The roof has to be down to work on the roll bar. To relieve the roof cylinders' pressure requires lowering and raising the roof. Even though the pump operates at two different pressures, I am guessing that I can't operate the roof hydraulically once I have removed the roll bar cylinders. I am also assuming that relieving pressure on the roll bar will not also relieve the roof pressure.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 SL550
If that is anything like my old SL was, be careful with roll bar. That thing can deploy fast, with enough force to lift the car, so don't be all wrapped around it if/when it releases that energy. The danger areas should be red on the hydraulic.
I know I sound like an old lady, just saying, be sure before you go wrenching on it. Good Luck.... Rich