SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: r230 recovery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 500R
r230 recovery

I am in the process of saving a 2003 Sl500 w/ a little over 100,000 miles from the big scrap yard in the sky. As you can see, the vehicle sparred with an object and lost. So far I removed the bumper, core support, impact bar, and headlamps. Lucky for me, the impact bar stopped short of the radiator. Additionally, the headlamps and the fenders were uninjured. Sadly enough, her bonnet was damaged. The interior was soiled but the leather and carpet cleaned up nicely. The original owner was asking $4500. I offered slightly less and he accepted my offer.

Last edited by Toomanybenzes; 02-09-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: pics
Old 02-09-2016, 09:38 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Pretty ambitious project!
Interior looks clean. Have you located all the replacement parts you need? Are you able to do all the work yourself including painting? Does the car have a salvage title or is it an insurance write off?

Good Luck,

Bob
Old 02-10-2016, 12:22 AM

SL 500R
Thanks Bob.

Do to the fact the elderly gentleman received a DUI, he neglected to involve the insurance company. So, I am happy to report the automobile has a clean title. No, I have yet to find all the parts to restore her. Today, I purchased the upper radiator support. I still need a bonnet, impact bumper (transverse support), bumper cover, driver headlight washer cover, and a passenger bumper reinforcement bracket.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Sounds like a project

I flip cars myself ( about 4-5 a year ^_^ ) so i can tell it's not as hard as it looks. If you're good enough on DIY stuff shouldn't be a problem. But still i'd recommend two things
1. If you're going to keep it for yourself find someone who can check for frame damage. Because the front reinforcement bar bent that much the frame most likely got some damage too - the bars that support all front end got closer - from being | | to being \ / - if you see what i mean. Not too much to be noticed but enough to impact the engine.Don't get scarred, easy fix - just find someone who can check and fix that.
2. A decent paint job is preferred, so nobody could notice it's history ^_^.

So have fun with your project I was going to do the same thing if i'd end up keeping one on the long run. Who knows, maybe eventually i will get a cheap damaged one and fix it ^_^

Keep us informed on how it goes

P.S.

There should be enough used parts for the car, as not than many are good to be fixed after a crash. Keep the dealer as a last resort, due high prices ^_^.
And don't throw away any parts until you get the replacement one, because many times there are small clips/parts that you will take from the old parts
Almost all parts are interchangeable in this class (R230) - doesn't have to be exactly from an SL500. But always double check to be sure

P.S.S.

Don't forget to have alignment check when you'll be done - saves tires from wearing fast and helps the car not to go right or left when driving

Last edited by Ghostty; 02-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:18 AM

SL 500R
Originally Posted by Ghostty
Sounds like a project

I flip cars myself ( about 4-5 a year ^_^ ) so i can tell it's not as hard as it looks. If you're good enough on DIY stuff shouldn't be a problem. But still i'd recommend two things
1. If you're going to keep it for yourself find someone who can check for frame damage. Because the front reinforcement bar bent that much the frame most likely got some damage too - the bars that support all front end got closer - from being | | to being \ / - if you see what i mean. Not too much to be noticed but enough to impact the engine.Don't get scarred, easy fix - just find someone who can check and fix that.
2. A decent paint job is preferred, so nobody could notice it's history ^_^.

So have fun with your project I was going to do the same thing if i'd end up keeping one on the long run. Who knows, maybe eventually i will get a cheap damaged one and fix it ^_^

Keep us informed on how it goes

P.S.

There should be enough used parts for the car, as not than many are good to be fixed after a crash. Keep the dealer as a last resort, due high prices ^_^.
And don't throw away any parts until you get the replacement one, because many times there are small clips/parts that you will take from the old parts
Almost all parts are interchangeable in this class (R230) - doesn't have to be exactly from an SL500. But always double check to be sure

P.S.S.

Don't forget to have alignment check when you'll be done - saves tires from wearing fast and helps the car not to go right or left when driving

Great advice, thank you. No, you are right, it is not as hard as it looks. The upper radiator support unbolts without removing the fenders. I believe most of the fasteners are 10 and 13mm. I assume Mercedes-Benz designed it to take a hit. I am clinging to the mere possibility that she does not have (much) unibody damage from the fence post, but I will have bodyshop check it out. Although the passenger-side impact bar buckled a half inch, the driver-side bar is not deformed. Maybe one day I will throw the 500 in my SLK. Thank you again for your guidance, it is well appreciated.

Last edited by Toomanybenzes; 02-18-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:32 AM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Sounds awesome Everything has a price in this world, and i'm glad you found yours ^_^

I've had to work on a SLK320 before. The whole mechanism for the hard top was in a box in the trunk. Had to put it all back together, with help and guidance on the forum. Biggest help was from my brother in law, i took apart his SLK32 to see how everything is mounted. Can't remember what tools i used but definitely worth everything. With codes erased worked like new!

So after that nothing is complicated enough
Old 02-18-2016, 08:33 PM

SL 500R
Replaced all the damage except for the diamond silver bumper cover. Waiting on the bonnet and aluminum bumper bar to arrive. Paint will come soon!

Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2012 E350 4Matic P2
Quick question. Was the car running and driving?

Everything is exposed in the front, good time to do a thorough inspect and replace of any worn or suspect ABC hose etc.

Bob
Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 PM

SL 500R
Yes, the automobile runs and drives. I drove it before I purchased it. Shortly after I began this tread, I drove it once more before I purchased the upper tie. The radiator was undamaged. While it may look as if the car was totaled, in reality it was not when you consider I have a little more than $4,000 in it. Any one can buy the entire radiator support directly from Mercedes-Benz for $390 dollars (2306202016). The fenders are not bent. The headlights are not broken. Luckily enough, the headlight tabs are intact. It is true that the car was in an accident, but for the most part, the front impact bar (2306204734) worked as designed. The bumper is broken into two pieces, but hey it is made of a synthetic material. The pair of inner liners that fasten the fog lights to the bumper are in great shape. I did, however, damage the bumper revits in the removal process. The damaged items include: Bonnet, bumper, front impact bar, impact shock absorber, foam energy absorber, (1) plastic trim molding, (1) washer cover mounting bracket, tow eye cap, hood latch, grille but not the star, plastic lower and upper radiator seal (2205050816, 3862205050, 230505028). Everything except the bonnet and the corresponding latch has been ordered or replaced. I always wanted a R230. To be quite honest, the car is a graduation present for the years I spent as an undergraduate.

I realized a while back that there are tons of bodyshops that work in collusion with the insurance company to short change consumers, so I will not allow my vehicle in any garage besides my own. Many if not all of the bodyshops are controlled by or under a contract with an insurer or two. Even if you pay cash, it is likely your local bodyshop has an obligation (unethical contract) with a dozen insurers. As far is my car is concerned, I can image the original owner taking the SL to a bodyshop of his choosing or the bodyshop that he would have been steered into. I am sure the bodyshop would have discovered the car was five dollars short of totaling (LOL). The car may have been totaled out, but I seriously doubt it.

Let it be known, some states lack the equipment to properly repair a Mercedes-Benz. Just because the bodyshop is a Mercedes-Benz “certified collision center” does not mean that they are located on Mercedes owned property. Take for example Arkansas, the Mercedes bodyshop is onsite. Now if you live in Colorado, and you desire a “certified collision center” you will be sent to a private owned bodyshop. So what I am saying is, in most states, Mercedes-Benz does not mend wrecked automobiles. Not that I buy into the idea that Mercedes will repair the car better, I just do not like the thought of some gal or gal attending a two-hour workshop to become collision certified. For the unlucky, when they wreck their beloved vehicle they are forced to take the car to Billy Bobs or something similar. Some areas do not have a single “certified collision center.” I refuse to buy a car that has been in the hands of a bodyshop. I determine if the car is fixable. When I find a Cellete machine I will put the car on the loaned jigs. Why would I take the car to a bodyshop that does not own a Mercedes-Benz authorized frame machine. My philosophy is, if a car was in the hands of a bodyshop, I will not buy it. If a car was wrecked I will not bother with it unless I fix it.

Most of your local Mercedes-Benz dealerships may repair mechanical problems at all their facilities, however, most areas do not have a Mercedes-Benz owned bodyshop. I believe there are more than a few bodyshops who would have cut corners to save the car. Of course most owners would demand new Mercedes-Benz parts, but I elected a mixture of new and recycled parts. If you are ever in a wreck and decide to keep your car, ask the bodyshop to show you the DRP contract.