SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Please help with wheel question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes SL550, 2009 Lexus IS250
Please help with wheel question

Hi everybody, I have a 2009 SL550 and I will soon be installing the widebody kit from mishadesigns.com

This obviously requires wider wheels and tires.

Can anybody give me a straight answer on changing the rims from 19 inch to 20 inch - exactly what does that do to the ride ? I understand that that in general the tire profile lowers when increasing the wheel diameter. I do NOT want to sacrifice the cushy, floaty, luxurious ride. I don't care about "feeling the road" and "better handling" and all that. In the case of the SL550, is there any room for a THICKER tire, when changing to a 20 inch wheel, to preserve the soft ride ?

And as for the width, does anybody know what 10 and 12 inch width will do to the ride ?

If changing to a 20-inch will compromise the soft ride in any way whatsoever, I'm sticking with my 19-inch rims when I install the body kit.

The pure joy of driving this car to me is the soft floaty ride. THANKS
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Direct answer - yes, it will affect the soft, cushy, floaty luxurious ride.

I did a 18 to 20 swap - it is even greater. to maintain the ride quality with 20" bigger tires will be the answer, but(!) it will raise your car. i kept approx same total height when swapped and my car still raised about an inch, but my actual tire height it's about half what it used to be. So you get an idea of the change in ride. Now depends on the body kit, that's where you might have room to work with. After all it's simple - bigger tire - more room is needed. If you can figure that out - you got yourself an answer. Otherwise - stick with 19".

Regards, Ghostty