SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: That old sub-woofer chestnut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
SL500 R230II
That old sub-woofer chestnut

What are the options for installing a sub into the footwell, as per the Bose sub/enclosure (which I have) and that doesn't involve me having to cast my own enclosure in place?

For so many other cars it is possible to simply buy ready made enclosures to fit the suitable space in the car. Does ANYONE offer these for the R230 SL?

Failing that, does anyone have the precise specs from which an enclosure could be made? I was thinking a multi-layer MDF box could be made with just the right shape, but surely someone must be making something like that?

Otherwise, has anyone simply upgraded the actual speaker within the Bose enclosure? Surely something else could be found that could be shoehorned in there. Hasn't anyone ever tried that?
Old 08-20-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
Originally Posted by BiKenG
What are the options for installing a sub into the footwell, as per the Bose sub/enclosure (which I have) and that doesn't involve me having to cast my own enclosure in place?

For so many other cars it is possible to simply buy ready made enclosures to fit the suitable space in the car. Does ANYONE offer these for the R230 SL?

Failing that, does anyone have the precise specs from which an enclosure could be made? I was thinking a multi-layer MDF box could be made with just the right shape, but surely someone must be making something like that?

Otherwise, has anyone simply upgraded the actual speaker within the Bose enclosure? Surely something else could be found that could be shoehorned in there. Hasn't anyone ever tried that?
Plenty of guys have replaces bose sub with JL sub and are happy with extra bass. But let's face it, a sub is only as good as its enclosure...
Old 08-21-2016, 03:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
SL500 R230II
Yes the JL sub looks like a very good option, but in what box? Are they fitting it into the Bose enclosure (which cannot be that bad - at least it fits) or another box. In which case, what box? Is everyone custom building their own? Does no company actually make a suitable box?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 3rd coupe!
They are using the same factory enclosure, if I remember correctly, the 10 inch shallow mount was the preferred replacement. But double check that...

Jl Audio 10tw3-d4 Shallow-mount 10 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EJWSLBU..._HYAUxbXE7CN0H

And for a less expensive option I onto think you can go wrong with Corwin vega:

CERWIN VEGA VPS104D Pro Shallow 600 Watts Max 10-Inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer 4 O... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K01ZLP8..._Y2AUxbGAGEJ9A
Old 08-24-2016, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by BiKenG

I modified the stock sub enclosure and was happy with the results. Here are a couple of pics, I have more if you are interested.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post6841381

Cheers,
Chris