SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Consumer battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB sl 55
Consumer battery

Had to change my consumer battery, this was totally dead after 6 months of storage. Had to use key to open doors for starting. After we change the battery we use the Star diagnostic to erase all wrong codes. But when I started the car I got this red symbol of battery and visit workshop. Why does this happening, my start battery is from Oct. 15. Thank for all reply.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 AM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
The red battery warning comes on when the system voltage is way too low. The cumsumers offline comes on when voltage is a little low.

Has the battery been charged since you put it in? Do you keep it on a battery maintaining charger, like CTEK? You should if the car sits for more than a week.

Did you jump the car, and to which battery? Only the front should be jumped, otherwise you may have fried the fuses under the subwoofer.

There are a few others items that can throw this warning, but those are the likely causes from storage.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 AM

2003 MB sl 55
Originally Posted by kbob999
The red battery warning comes on when the system voltage is way too low. The cumsumers offline comes on when voltage is a little low.

Has the battery been charged since you put it in? Do you keep it on a battery maintaining charger, like CTEK? You should if the car sits for more than a week.

Did you jump the car, and to which battery? Only the front should be jumped, otherwise you may have fried the fuses under the subwoofer.

There are a few others items that can throw this warning, but those are the likely causes from storage.
like I said it's was stored for six months. I put e Ctek on the front. When I come back almost no electric was working. I go to shop who have the Star diagnosis, changed the consumer battery and erase all fault codes. After a few starts this red alert with battery and visit workshop come on. Put into my garage and put the ctek on the front, the rear one is new as mentioned. When ready I went for a local trip and again when the same happens again. ??????
Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 AM

There is no good reason to put the charger on the front, unless stored for 6 months. The rear battery is the one that constantly discharges, not the front.
Put the charger on the rear and wait 2 days. This will likely fix the problem.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:05 AM

2003 MB sl 55
There is no good reason to put the charger on the front, unless stored for 6 months. The rear battery is the one that constantly discharges, not the front. Put the charger on the rear and wait 2 days. This will likely fix the problem.

I tryed to the Ctek on the rear, but get a red light who is not normal. If I put it at the front, then normal lights come on. Then you switch to the car sign everything works normal. Why this different?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 AM

I have no idea why you have the red light, unless it is hooked up backwards. I don't own this particular charger so I can't say.
Try another charger, and/or double check your connections. Concentrate on the rear battery, the front is not the problem.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:10 AM

2003 MB sl 55
I have no idea why you have the red light, unless it is hooked up backwards. I don't own this particular charger so I can't say.
Try another charger, and/or double check your connections. Concentrate on the rear battery, the front is not the problem.
Thanks, but got strange light on a normal charger as well. As said before brand new expensive consumer put in yesterday. The front is org mb from Oct 15.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Red Battery Warning must be reset by Star Diagnostic

In all the material I have researched on the "red battery warning of death", it is clear that the warning light is triggered by low voltage in the combined battery system. Once the warning is on, even though the fault is corrected, the code must be erased using the Star diagnostic or it will NOT go out. I agree that the convenience (rear) battery is the main electronic player, and I maintenance charge the rear battery all the time (especially in the hot summer months here in Texas when the AC is blowing and you are idling at stop lights discharging all the time). I had a similar experience with the front battery going bad after 3+ years. You could hear the starter working harder to turn her over, and then one day-nothing. Charging would bring it back some, but I got caught at a car wash and it wouldn't start. Front battery tested very weak and was replaced. Problem solved.