SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Convenience services temporarily unavailable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
2009 CLK550 convertible, 2012 ,,E550 Cabrio, 2012 Audi Q5
Convenience services temporarily unavailable

After driving for 1 hour today, I stopped for gas. I hit the stop/ start button on the shifter and the dash went black, radio shut down and nothing worked . I started the car using the key fob in the slot and that was the message I received, "convenience services temporarily unavailable ".The car started using the same method and I proceeded home. For a short period there was a yellow triangle in the dash ,ABS/ESP. this went off after 1 minute of driving. I drove 2 more hours home and everything was back to normal. My initial thought was something with the consumer battery, after a 3 hour trip the voltage was 12.5 and % of charge was 75. I have a charger on it now but my thoughts are time for new consumer battery. Any thoughts from anyone else.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:32 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Yep, most likely consumer battery. Odd that it did this after an hour of driving. It may not be charging well, or intermittently, which could mean the regulator or alternator is tango uniform.

The ABS triangle is because the car needs power to run the brake system, and with low power it will freak out, eventually leading to the "STOP" red warning. You did not get this far down on juice.

If the battery is more than 3 years old, it is probably time.
Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 SL500, 2016 ATS, 2016 CTS 2015 Volt
Originally Posted by Ptrigg17
After driving for 1 hour today, I stopped for gas. I hit the stop/ start button on the shifter and the dash went black, radio shut down and nothing worked . I started the car using the key fob in the slot and that was the message I received, "convenience services temporarily unavailable ".The car started using the same method and I proceeded home. For a short period there was a yellow triangle in the dash ,ABS/ESP. this went off after 1 minute of driving. I drove 2 more hours home and everything was back to normal. My initial thought was something with the consumer battery, after a 3 hour trip the voltage was 12.5 and % of charge was 75. I have a charger on it now but my thoughts are time for new consumer battery. Any thoughts from anyone else.
Depending on how quickly you checked the voltage after your trip, it sounds like you trunk battery needs to be replaced. After sitting for hours it should read 12.6V. If you check it right after running, it should be over 13.0