SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Rear Lights LED problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Rear Lights LED problem

The rear light assembly has 2 "regular" bulbs and a LED strip that has a number of LED light bulbs in it. In my case, a couple of the LED lights in that strip are burnt out.

According to the dealer these LED bulbs are not replaceable and I must replace the whole rear light housing assembly at a cost of $500 USD (approx, I don't remember the exact number).

Now.. I don't mind spending money for maintenance on this car, however, $500 to replace something as simple as a rear brake light bulb... seems rather excessive.

Has anyone been faced with a similar problem and found a solution other then buying the whole rear light assembly?

I will pull the rear light assembly out and see what can be done, it just boggles my mind that MB would engineer it that way.

This is like incorporating spark plugs into the engine, where you would have to get a new engine, if one of the spark plug is defective, lol!

Last edited by DieselMartini; 10-28-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by DieselMartini
The rear light assembly has 2 "regular" bulbs and a LED strip that has 3 LED light bulbs in it. In my , a couple of the LED lights in that strip are burnt out.

According to the dealer these ED bulbs are not replaceable and I must replace the whole rear light housing assembly at a cost of $500 USD (approx, I don't remember the exact number).

Now.. I don't mind spending money for maintenance on this car, however, $500 to replace something as simple as a rear brake light bulb... seems rather excessive.

Has anyone been faced with a similar problem and found a solution other then buying the whole rear light assembly?

I will pull the rear light assembly out and see what can be done, it just boggles my mind that MB would engineer it that way.

This is like incorporating spark plugs into the engine, where you would have to get a new engine, if one of the spark plug is defective, lol!
Post some pics of the LEDs up close. Measure them if you have calipers. Replacement LEDs are cheap (couple of dollars or less. DigiKey is a great source). The trick is getting the correct replacement (relative to footprint or diameter, current and color temp).

Chris
Latemodel 21 Products