SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL 600 (2003) Regulator / Alternator Issues - Recall?

Old 11-22-2016, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl-600 (R230)
SL 600 (2003) Regulator / Alternator Issues - Recall?

Hello! My SL600 failed miserably while I was driving on the motorway. Dealer says it is most likely the regulator (the was overloading in several systems and the batteries are now dead).

The only solution that they can propose is a new alternator for EUR1400.

I have made some research and found that as regards other models (e.g. SL500 etc) there was a recall as regards the electrical systems. My dealer says that no recall exists as regards the SL600. Since the issue is suspiciously similar with the issue that led to the recall of other models I am looking for information (possibly unknown TSBs, anecdotal evidence etc) that would allow me to push to fix the car under the recall concept. Any help would be really appreciated!

Moreover, for the case that this fails I would really appreciate it if you could indicate a source where I could buy a new regulator for the car.

Many thanks!! :-)
Old 11-23-2016, 12:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like you are loosing sleep over an issue that you don't have all the information to make a decision----you are correct "most likely" sounds like HS---why not have the car quick tested to determining the real fault and then make your decision!!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM

Sl-600 (R230)
Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify: the car is currently at the dealer who - after doing all the relevant tests - has already removed the alternator and has sent it for checking and - subject to my approval - also repair. It was the repairman who said that the regulator is for sure bust and need replacement. The alternator seems to be working fine, but this will only be confirmed once a new regulator is put on it.

The dealer told me that if I can source a regulator he can install it on for me.

Given the history as regards the regulators of Mercedes (e.g. similar issues on SL500), I wonder whether the root of my problem is the factory defects of the regulator.

Many thanks once again for any ideas as to what to do!
Old 11-23-2016, 05:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by EvansGR
Thanks for the reply! Just to clarify: the car is currently at the dealer who - after doing all the relevant tests - has already removed the alternator and has sent it for checking and - subject to my approval - also repair. It was the repairman who said that the regulator is for sure bust and need replacement. The alternator seems to be working fine, but this will only be confirmed once a new regulator is put on it.

The dealer told me that if I can source a regulator he can install it on for me.

Given the history as regards the regulators of Mercedes (e.g. similar issues on SL500), I wonder whether the root of my problem is the factory defects of the regulator.

Many thanks once again for any ideas as to what to do!

I think that you are giving us a load of HS--no authorized MB dealership would allow one of their customers to supply a non MB part and install that part!!
Old 11-23-2016, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Plutoe
I think that you are giving us a load of HS--no authorized MB dealership would allow one of their customers to supply a non MB part and install that part!!
Not true. Depends on your relationship with the dealer.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:58 AM

Sl-600 (R230)
They are a formal Mercedes dealership and service and this is what they told me. It is not HS.

In any case, can anybody help as to regards the defective regulators on other models? Can anybody provide me with a link to a regulator?

Many thanks
Old 11-24-2016, 11:07 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Where are you located (at least your country)? Please update your forum user's profile so we'll know.

As for the regulator in your car, it's internal to the alternator and not officially available as a separate part as it is in many other models. Of course you might find one that was extracted from a used alternator, but that's about it. Otherwise, here's what you need:

http://www.mboemparts.com/mercedes-b...ame=alternator

You might take that part number (2751500150) and search to see f you can find a better deal, or maybe one that has a good regulator that you can scavenge.