SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Recirc / bypass valve replacement(?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Shoe leather express SE
Recirc / bypass valve replacement(?)

In researching my purchase of an SL600 or SL65 AMG, I notice there is no mention as to upgrades or preventative maintenance regarding bypass or recirculation by pass valves on these twin turbocharged engines. It just seems a really simple thing to upgrade. I can't, presumably, find a part even. The nicest and most high quality bypass valves fail over time as the material of the diaphragms (unless metal) wears and eventually is not able to maintain vacuum. Do these engines have those? Forgive my ignorance in this as I still am learning about Mercedes complex engineering which is very impressive by the way .

P.S: I am not a "yabo" looking to mob about making "wooshing" turbo noises to impress the ladies. Bypass valves are, on average, something like $129.00 to $215.00 anymore for very high quality units and it's something I would upgrade.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2016, 03:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Post your VIN!!
Old 12-13-2016, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Shoe leather express SE
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Post your VIN!!
no need to yell, thanks

I was unaware the rules similar to Supraforums.com applied here (owning a manufacturer vehicle in order to post actively) for which I apologise.

I am purchasing a Mercedes soon which is my reason for posting here (to research my purchase). If that is not sufficient to your guidelines prerequisite of being a member; By all means delete my account as I respect your rules and have learned a LOT just in the few days I have been a member. Your members are pretty nice!

No animosity is meant by this post. I am just clarifying my intentions as I am not a 'troll' or 'spammer'.

Thanks all and God Bless!

Last edited by Raven2021; 12-13-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 12-13-2016, 10:42 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I'm sorry, I can't help with your question, but I will say that there is no rule here that you must own the vehicle in question to post about it. Plenty of prospective buyers come here and as questions and get answers. Plutoe seems to believe that no question can be answered until we have a VIN. While often the VIN helps tremendously with finding the right OE parts and such, I don't think it matters in this case. Hopefully someone with the right knowledge will come along and help.

And BTW, going from "shoe leather" to an SL600 or SL65 will quite the upgrade!