SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Completed OE Tuning OBD2 Flash Tune on 2008 SL550 with NA M273 engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Completed OE Tuning OBD2 Flash Tune on 2008 SL550 with NA M273 engine

Let me start by thanking Jeremy and Rocco for answering my endless email questions about the process of using the MyGenius Flashloader. Based upon what I have read in other MBWorld threads they have built a reputation for great customer communications. I think Jeremy could probably save a lot of time by adding a detailed FAQ section to the OE Tuning website.

This is not a performance review of the ECU upgrade. I have had very little time in the car after loading the tuned file and others on MBWorld have already done thorough performance reviews. For example:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...e-na-e550.html

I thought other forum members would find my experience helpful in deciding whether or not to go forward with the ECU upgrade. I am admittedly a novice with ECU tuning, so I welcome any corrections or comments from more experienced forum members.

1) As a Mac user, I knew going into the project that I would have to get access to a Windows laptop to use the MyGenius Flashloader. Fortunately, my 9-year old grandson got one for Christmas and he graciously let me use it. I may experiment with the Parallels virtual PC on my Mac down the road. But I did not want to introduce any additional variables the first time I used the MyGenius device.

2) The MyGenius Flashloader is sourced from DimSport in Italy. I am certain that the Italian instructions supplied with the tool are better than the quaint English version. OE Tuning does supplement the instructions with what amounts to Quickstart overviews. One supplement is included with the MyGenius device and the other is included in the email when OE Tuning sends you the tuned files. I suspect that these extra instructions vary from vehicle to vehicle, or at least from one vehicle brand to the next.

3) The MyGenius device is supplied with a thumb drive that includes the Windows application to communicate with the Flashloader. After loading this software and connecting the device, the first step is to upgrade the device to the latest firmware version.

4) One surprise I encountered is a reference to the requirement to use a "stabilized" battery whenever reading or writing to the ECU with the Flashloader. This means that OE Tuning highly recommends connecting the vehicle battery to a charger when using the Flashloader. Apparently recovering from an error caused by low voltage is an expensive process. As far as I can tell the Flashloader does not use an internal battery. It gets power either from a connected laptop or the OBD2 port.

5) I rewired the 12 volt accessory socket in the trunk of the SL550 so that it is attached directly to the battery in the trunk. This makes it very convenient to hook up the charger without lifting the trunk floor. See this thread for more details: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...e-charger.html

6) After connecting a battery charger, the next step is to read information about the original tune in the ECU using the Flashloader. There are two cables supplied with the Flashloader - a USB cable for connection to the computer and an OBD2 cable. A single blue wire is also included in the bag with the OBD2 cable, but, it is not used for the SL550 application. The instructions from the manufacturer and from OE Tuning do not match exactly the sequence of screens I observed on the device. In other words, you need to carefully follow the instructions on the device. I suspect that the exact sequence is slightly different from car to car. In the case of the SL550 (and probably other MBs), you don't actually download the tuned file to the Flashloader. You only download a small file with identification information.

7) The next step is to transfer this "ID" file to your computer using the MyGenius program. Once this 7K file is loaded on to the computer you email it to OE Tuning. You also need to advise OE Tuning of any engine modifications and whether your geographic area has 91 or 93 Octane premium gas. OE Tuning uses the ID information to get the Original tune file from their database of tuning maps.

8) In short order you receive three tuned files (about 3MB each) back from OE Tuning along with some additional instructions. The files include the designations "001", "002", and "003" in the file names. Once you transfer the files to the Flashloader they appear with more descriptive names like "93 Octane", "100 Octane", and "Valet". The "Original" file is not displayed as a choice.

9) The final step is to write the tuned file to the ECU. Hook up the battery charger, attach the Flashloader with the OBD2 cable, and follow the instructions and screen prompts to write the file. After completing the ECU upgrade, the "Original" file will appear as a choice on the Flashloader. This step takes about five minutes.

---------------

Some observations...

Given the requirement to attach a charger to the vehicle battery while using the Flashloader it's not really practical to use the Valet tune. Even changing to the 100 Octane tune at the track would not be that convenient.

Last edited by LAZARU5; 01-16-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 SL 550 Silver Arrow edition, 2009 E550 and 2007 GL450
so what are the performance results for this flash only tune? significant? noticable? worthwhile?
Old 02-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
I loaded the tuning map about a month ago, but, have not really driven the car since then. See the review in the link in the first post above. I will follow up with some first hand comments in the Spring.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:13 AM

Received 67 Likes on 55 Posts
R230
ECU tuning is where tech meets true mechanical engineering.

Sadly both fields must be at their best or results can be little to no performance gains or even catastrophic.
A tune needs to specific to individual car and owner.
A basic map tune will only net you approximately what a CAI & performance exhaust will get you. With a car like a 550, it might even hurt the drivability of the car. This is where a specialty ECU tuner with a dyno shines. It's shameful to not program the trans ECU to make the best use of any engine gains. Shift points can be improved to enhance the mods that can really perk up the feel the car has over factory original
Good Luck
Old 04-04-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 hero honda
hi
welcome to the this forum site i have knowledge of printer but have not knowledge of car.so you have collect knowledge on the public place nice a day.