SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: keyless

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keyless

I have an sl500 launch edition with the Keyless-Go card. Is it possible to use a newer key/fob that does not need the card? I understand that in newer models the keyless is built-in the SmartKey. MB recommends carrying both the card and the key together in case the card mulfunctions. I find this combination rather bulky.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Gosh, how many times has this been covered? The answer is no you cannot. Besides, those of us with the card have the ability to check whether the car is locked. Useful if you suddenly wonder in the middle of a movie.

The reason to carry both is because if the battery in the card fails you cannot get into or start the car, same is true if the battery in the trunk goes flat which it will do in 2 - 3 weeks. If you carry the metal key as backup, you can get into the car but you will not be able to start it

If you replace the batteries in the card once a year, you only really need to take the key as backup if you are leaving the car away from home for a long period.

It's possible to think of the radio communications between the card and the car being swamped if you park close to a powerful source of radio interference like an airport radar or mobile phone mast. In that case, it's handy to know that the antenna for Keyless Go in one of the wires at the top of the windshield, so holding the card close to it in case of trouble should get you in.

But, replacing the batteries is the key to trouble free operation. If you've bought the car second hand or the car is more than a year old, do it today!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Aye! My dads keys' batteries are more then a year old. I think approaching on three in a few months!
Old 01-16-2005, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by blueSL
Gosh, how many times has this been covered? The answer is no you cannot. Besides, those of us with the card have the ability to check whether the car is locked. Useful if you suddenly wonder in the middle of a movie.

The reason to carry both is because if the battery in the card fails you cannot get into or start the car, same is true if the battery in the trunk goes flat which it will do in 2 - 3 weeks. If you carry the metal key as backup, you can get into the car but you will not be able to start it

If you replace the batteries in the card once a year, you only really need to take the key as backup if you are leaving the car away from home for a long period.

It's possible to think of the radio communications between the card and the car being swamped if you park close to a powerful source of radio interference like an airport radar or mobile phone mast. In that case, it's handy to know that the antenna for Keyless Go in one of the wires at the top of the windshield, so holding the card close to it in case of trouble should get you in.

But, replacing the batteries is the key to trouble free operation. If you've bought the car second hand or the car is more than a year old, do it today!
I agree, play it safe and replace every year. When I had my 2003 I never had a problem and loved the fact that you could tell whether you locked the doors or left them open. How many times have we wondered that and not been by the car?

I never carried the key and personally, I liked the 2003 system much more.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-16-2005 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Gosh, how many times has this been covered?" Gosh, I don't know how many times. My plebian mind was not able to find the information under the Search function. What is more, I don't know how to check if the car is locked using the card while away form the car (e.g., in a movie theater).
Old 01-16-2005, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
Originally Posted by josh12
"Gosh, how many times has this been covered?" Gosh, I don't know how many times. My plebian mind was not able to find the information under the Search function. What is more, I don't know how to check if the car is locked using the card while away form the car (e.g., in a movie theater).
Push the circular black button on the card. If the red light is the one that lights up your doors are locked. If the green light is the one that lights up the doors are not locked.

This will work regardless of where the car is and where the card is.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
... the card remembers the lock status of the car when you walk away. A real convenience feature.