SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550... few questions, facelift, ordering, lease, etc...

Old 09-01-2015, 09:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
'22 SL63, '22 Tesla Model S LR and X LR
SL550... few questions, facelift, ordering, lease, etc...

Hello,

I have signed up a while ago but never posted because I did not end up with a Mercedes. I have been pretty much a BMW guy all my life. I have driven a couple of E and S classes many years ago with some frequency. Non of them belonged to me though.

Last time around I considered the SL but did not dive into it deeply mainly because the front is just not to my taste. But really I was just craving a 911. So I went with the 911. But two years later I am ready to drive something more convenient and the SL has always been on my radar. I drove my friend's R230 and it was awesome and now he says the R231 is better. The SL is an icon to me just like the 911 or the M5. Especially now with the minor face-lift but even the current one has grown on me some.

I figured I will get an SL550 and wait for the face-lift. My 911 lease is up in December so I am either going to take over an existing SL lease or I might just drive a small company car until the 2nd half of 2016.

So some questions:

1. Black instrument cluster. Is it possible to order that in the USA? My buddy has an SL500 in Europe with the AMG package and his instruments have black background. I do not like the white one they sell in the USA. I hope the post face-lift version will have that changed.

2. Carbon insert. Same as above. Can you special order that?

3. ABC. After watching some youtube reviews, people are complaining that the car is tail happy and it does not provide any warning. Is that with ABC or without? I realize under normal driving this is not an issue but I am just curious if that option makes it worse or better.

4. Designo interior. What is the price? I can't find it. I can't find any good pictures online beside the mbusa site either. Especially the Black Piano Lacquer with the two white and two beige colors would be great to see. Is it possible to get designo interior but not exterior?

5. Lease. I am looking at the online lease estimate at mbusa. What is a realistic discount for a 116k car? I have heard 8k is doable.

6. When do you guys think will the face-lift version be available to order and delivery?

and finally

7. I could use a recommendation for a knowledgeable sales person. I went into Pompano this past week and the guy that happened to be there did not even care to walk us to the SL on display. He just walked off eventually. That was interesting. Next, I went into Delray and the guy posted outside in the 90F heat got me. Always a bad sign. He could not answer any questions at all on his own. I don't know if he was new or not but.... ohh well... he will not be there long I am sure.

So a recommendation would be great for a good sales person anywhere from Palm Beach to Miami. Delray would be the closest for us for service. You can also PM me.

Thanks a lot! I am sure I will have more questions.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Hello,

I have signed up a while ago but never posted because I did not end up with a Mercedes. I have been pretty much a BMW guy all my life. I have driven a couple of E and S classes many years ago with some frequency. Non of them belonged to me though.

Last time around I considered the SL but did not dive into it deeply mainly because the front is just not to my taste. But really I was just craving a 911. So I went with the 911. But two years later I am ready to drive something more convenient and the SL has always been on my radar. I drove my friend's R230 and it was awesome and now he says the R231 is better. The SL is an icon to me just like the 911 or the M5. Especially now with the minor face-lift but even the current one has grown on me some.

I figured I will get an SL550 and wait for the face-lift. My 911 lease is up in December so I am either going to take over an existing SL lease or I might just drive a small company car until the 2nd half of 2016.

So some questions:

1. Black instrument cluster. Is it possible to order that in the USA? My buddy has an SL500 in Europe with the AMG package and his instruments have black background. I do not like the white one they sell in the USA. I hope the post face-lift version will have that changed.

2. Carbon insert. Same as above. Can you special order that?

3. ABC. After watching some youtube reviews, people are complaining that the car is tail happy and it does not provide any warning. Is that with ABC or without? I realize under normal driving this is not an issue but I am just curious if that option makes it worse or better.

4. Designo interior. What is the price? I can't find it. I can't find any good pictures online beside the mbusa site either. Especially the Black Piano Lacquer with the two white and two beige colors would be great to see. Is it possible to get designo interior but not exterior?

5. Lease. I am looking at the online lease estimate at mbusa. What is a realistic discount for a 116k car? I have heard 8k is doable.

6. When do you guys think will the face-lift version be available to order and delivery?

and finally

7. I could use a recommendation for a knowledgeable sales person. I went into Pompano this past week and the guy that happened to be there did not even care to walk us to the SL on display. He just walked off eventually. That was interesting. Next, I went into Delray and the guy posted outside in the 90F heat got me. Always a bad sign. He could not answer any questions at all on his own. I don't know if he was new or not but.... ohh well... he will not be there long I am sure.

So a recommendation would be great for a good sales person anywhere from Palm Beach to Miami. Delray would be the closest for us for service. You can also PM me.

Thanks a lot! I am sure I will have more questions.
You have a very comprehensive list of questions. I can throw in a few quick answers...

1. Not coming to the US AFAIK. Also not for the facelift. Personally I am not a fan of the black dials; look cheap IMO. I am just driving an SL in Europe with the AMG package and am bothering by the look but it's obviously a matter of taste. See pic below...

2. Carbon fibre trim may become available with the facelift but for right now it's an option only for the SL63/65.

3. SL's are not really tail happy and ABC wouldn't have an impact on that. I think ABC is one of the best options you can add on the car. Better handing, ride height adjustment (lowers itself) and the car stays flat in all situations. Plus you can raise it for tall driveways, etc.

4. Ask dealer for the DOG (ordering guide) to see pricing. Yes, interior is separate from the exterior. The $900 Nappa options gets you the same seat leather, but Designo provides the leather on dash/doors. It's pretty cheap if I recall.
Don't care for piano black in a convertible (fingerprint magnet and shows dust easily - this is a convertible after all )

5/6. Discounts on 2015 models should be easily $15k-$20k but haven't checked lately. Personally I wouldn't get a '16 since the facelift model is hopefully out already in May (hoping for early release in the US).

7. Can't help...

Good luck!

Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
You have a very comprehensive list of questions. I can throw in a few quick answers...

1. Not coming to the US AFAIK. Also not for the facelift. Personally I am not a fan of the black dials; look cheap IMO. I am just driving an SL in Europe with the AMG package and am bothering by the look but it's obviously a matter of taste. See pic below...

2. Carbon fibre trim may become available with the facelift but for right now it's an option only for the SL63/65.

3. SL's are not really tail happy and ABC wouldn't have an impact on that. I think ABC is one of the best options you can add on the car. Better handing, ride height adjustment (lowers itself) and the car stays flat in all situations. Plus you can raise it for tall driveways, etc.

4. Ask dealer for the DOG (ordering guide) to see pricing. Yes, interior is separate from the exterior. The $900 Nappa options gets you the same seat leather, but Designo provides the leather on dash/doors. It's pretty cheap if I recall.
Don't care for piano black in a convertible (fingerprint magnet and shows dust easily - this is a convertible after all )

5/6. Discounts on 2015 models should be easily $15k-$20k but haven't checked lately. Personally I wouldn't get a '16 since the facelift model is hopefully out already in May (hoping for early release in the US).

7. Can't help...

Good luck!

Wolfman,

Thanks! So the ABC is the option that helps you raise the car. That right there makes it a must for parking, etc.

15-20k off? Wow... that seems rather high. You think it is possible to get that much off MSRP on a 15? I will definitely wait or the face-lift but I really did not think a lot more than 8k is possible at least here in SE FL.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL
SL550...few question, facelift, orderin,lease,etc

You should definitely be able to get at least 12% discount. I just purchased mine at North Palm Beach Mercedes. Ask for Robert Alexander. He treated me just fine. Tell him Steve sent you.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
Wolfman,

Thanks! So the ABC is the option that helps you raise the car. That right there makes it a must for parking, etc.

15-20k off? Wow... that seems rather high. You think it is possible to get that much off MSRP on a 15? I will definitely wait or the face-lift but I really did not think a lot more than 8k is possible at least here in SE FL.
Yes, that discount is possible on a '15. That said, keep in mind that very few cars on the lot will have the ABC option, so that may impact the choices.

Also, don't expect that type of discount on the '17 models when they come out
Old 09-02-2015, 12:21 PM

Yes, that discount is possible on a '15. That said, keep in mind that very few cars on the lot will have the ABC option, so that may impact the choices.

Also, don't expect that type of discount on the '17 models when they come out
Yes. I figured ordering a '17, and ordering in general will not have such a discount.

kingading,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check Palm Beach MB out.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 e 450 cabriolet
On a 2015 a $15 - 20K discount happens but the supply of 15's isn't abundant so the sooner you find a car the better. On 2016's $8 - 10K is possible but your experience will vary amongst the dealers, most of the stores in your area are Autonation so you might try Naples to see if they are more flexible . The Fort Lauderdale location seems to be very much a company store and they are comfortable watching you walk away from my experience.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by happyinboca
On a 2015 a $15 - 20K discount happens but the supply of 15's isn't abundant so the sooner you find a car the better. On 2016's $8 - 10K is possible but your experience will vary amongst the dealers, most of the stores in your area are Autonation so you might try Naples to see if they are more flexible . The Fort Lauderdale location seems to be very much a company store and they are comfortable watching you walk away from my experience.
Good info. I did not realize that Autonation has a near monopoly on MB at this corner. That explains my experience. I am not shopping for a '15 or a '16 anyways. The IAA in Frankfurt starts on the 17th and the face-lift should be revealed there according to www.autobild.de. The face-lift on the R230 was a good one in my opinion. I think the '17 R231 will be worth waiting for too. We will know soon.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:38 AM

2019 e 450 cabriolet
If I was going to wait for a 2017 and wanted to get everything I needed / desired I would use the European delivery option. Get 7% off MSRP and drive my new factory fresh sled around the continent for 2 weeks.
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/europ...livery_program
Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by happyinboca
If I was going to wait for a 2017 and wanted to get everything I needed / desired I would use the European delivery option. Get 7% off MSRP and drive my new factory fresh sled around the continent for 2 weeks.
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/europ...livery_program
Well... Yes! That is something I have been trying to pull off for the past 10-15 years. I have lived in Heidelberg for 4 years and up north near Dortmund for 2 (long time ago), and I am from Europe originally. But we never have the time. It never works out.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:10 PM

hmmm... soooo... I guess it will not be revealed in Frankfurt on the IAA.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL500 R231 - S400D W222 - C63S
I will be at IAA in Frankfurt next week, but indeed, from what I heard so far, no facelift is presented.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 PM

2019 e 450 cabriolet
While at IAA sniff around to see if Apple Carplay will be forthcoming please - Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLk300; S500; BMW 335i.
I have to disagree in that my Sl550 is extremely tail happy. I do not have ABC though.. couldn't find one and was too impatient to order.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by persian54
I have to disagree in that my Sl550 is extremely tail happy. I do not have ABC though.. couldn't find one and was too impatient to order.
If it's tail happy it's probably due to its crappy tires. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports and so such thing...