SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2017 SL's can be ordered now

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by jmeyersnv
When deciding what car to buy myself, I drove a slew of alternatives -- including a 2016 Ferrari California T. Now that car is amazing in terms of performance, appearance and luxury; its handling and acceleration are both extraordinary, and the interior is fabulous and the color choices (paint and leather) magnificent. But, given I was looking for a car that put luxurious comfort first and while the California T provided me an exhilarating test drive, it immediately fell out of the running for that reason. Naturally, I next tried out the Bentley Continental V8 convertible. Wow! That is a marvelous vehicle, but so is its price once you shop in the Bentley options department. I just didn't want to put that much money into a car. For the hell of it, I also considered the Jaguar F-type. It is a nice car, but the cost tradeoffs made in order to establish its value-oriented price points left the interior shabbier than I wanted, although the R-version offers, I found, really impressive performance for the money.

After all that, the SL looked like a real value, particularly in its non-AMG variants. Initially, I considered all the SL offerings, but quickly eliminated the 65 and the 63. I have owned AMG vehicles (two E's, a CLS and two SLK's) since the late 1990s, and at nearly 70 now I find that I am preferring to be swaddled in luxury rather than being the first car off the line at the stop light. That left me with the SL550 and the SL 450 as finalists. This two seater is going to be a car that goes mainly to the grocery store and restaurants; its only road trips are likely to be to the airport. And so, I opted for the 450, chose nearly every option offered from designo paint to the ABC suspension -- and am as happy as the proverbial clam and very eager to get my hands on it this summer.
I agree with your decision points. The AMG;s are too stiff a ride for my liking. The Ferrari is a beautiful car but too pricey for me. The SL has been a great car, trouble free, comfortable, plenty fast and fun to drive. I think you will be very pleased with your choice. Post a pic when you take delivery. Enjoy!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 e550
2016 400 or 2017 450?

I have located a 2016 that has options I like but I would like some opinions or thoughts on what I will be missing if I skip ordering a 2017. How big a difference is 30 HP going to make in daily driving and will the 9 speed do much to improve acceleration? Or are the two extra gears mainly for better mileage?

The dealer for the 2017 is really pushing the ABC or Curve but no one has a car with it to drive. Is it really worth considering for the price? I haven't seen that discussed in the forums but it must be in there, so I'll keep looking.

Is there a significant upgrade in the infotainment system?

Thanks for your comments.

Rick
Old 05-06-2016, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by rickp
I have located a 2016 that has options I like but I would like some opinions or thoughts on what I will be missing if I skip ordering a 2017. How big a difference is 30 HP going to make in daily driving and will the 9 speed do much to improve acceleration? Or are the two extra gears mainly for better mileage?

The dealer for the 2017 is really pushing the ABC or Curve but no one has a car with it to drive. Is it really worth considering for the price? I haven't seen that discussed in the forums but it must be in there, so I'll keep looking.

Is there a significant upgrade in the infotainment system?

Thanks for your comments.

Rick
The 450 will be a very nice upgrade over the 400 in overall performance throughout the RPM range, coupled with the 9 speed. Unless you get a killer deal on a 400 I would go for the 450.

To me, ABC is a must have option, but the price in proportion to the sticker is excessive (less so on a SL550). Plus it is not as essential given that the 450 engine is lighter

I find the curve function unneeded and will never use it since it's only active in Comfort mode. I only use Sport mode.

Infotainment has a huge upgrade by having Apple CarPlay included. Have waited years for that! Plus has better upgraded feature sets and graphics.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:17 PM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 S 650, 2014 SL 550, 2017 911 TTS Cab, '13 F458 Spider
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The 450 will be a very nice upgrade over the 400 in overall performance throughout the RPM range, coupled with the 9 speed. Unless you get a killer deal on a 400 I would go for the 450.

To me, ABC is a must have option, but the price in proportion to the sticker is excessive (less so on a SL550). Plus it is not as essential given that the 450 engine is lighter

I find the curve function unneeded and will never use it since it's only active in Comfort mode. I only use Sport mode.

Infotainment has a huge upgrade by having Apple CarPlay included. Have waited years for that! Plus has better upgraded feature sets and graphics.
your posts are always very informative and well researched
Old 05-06-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Originally Posted by Wolfman
When I asked my salesman about the difference in price between a '16 (at todays price) and a '17 he said it would be several thousand dollars. The extra HP and the 9 spd were not enough for me to pay that difference and wait till Aug. I should have my Selenite Grey w/Bengal Red int. sometime next week.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:49 PM

2012 e550
Wolfman,

Thanks for your comments and help. It helps me along the way to placing an order. A little further up the forum I asked about wheel and tire combinations of higher profile tires. Do you have any knowledge of that?

Rick
Old 05-07-2016, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gkgeiger
When I asked my salesman about the difference in price between a '16 (at todays price) and a '17 he said it would be several thousand dollars. The extra HP and the 9 spd were not enough for me to pay that difference and wait till Aug. I should have my Selenite Grey w/Bengal Red int. sometime next week.
Congrats on your new toy! Look forward to some pics as this was a color I was contemplating as well.
I ended up with Iridium Silver again because it is such a classic SL color, brings out the lines of the car and stays clean much longer than a darker color.

Re. the value of the 400 vs. 450; everyone has personal priorities and there is no wrong answer. Both are great cars
We have had already two R231's and I am ready for the face-lifted model...
Old 05-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Wolfman,

Thanks for your comments and help. It helps me along the way to placing an order. A little further up the forum I asked about wheel and tire combinations of higher profile tires. Do you have any knowledge of that?

Rick
We live in MN and have our share of potholes. I have no issues with them using conventional tires but feel that run flats with springs can be less than ideal.

Run flat wheels typically are designed with a slightly stronger lips (at least they were in the past) and MB cast wheels have held up fine for me.

ThreeMBs was commenting on that issue and said that larger diameter tires work fine for him (check the wheel gap thread). It will change the speedo reading a little bit but that's about it.

Personally I wouldn't do it but it won't hurt anything
Old 05-07-2016, 06:07 PM

2012 e550
What do you mean by 'springs' after 'run flats'?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean by 'springs' after 'run flats'?
Suspension. Unless the car has ABC, it rides on springs. They are less compliant and have a slightly stiffer ride than ABC
Old 05-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by branmin
Basically my Mercedes dealer has no idea when we will have a delivery..Wolfman you were possibly expecting a late April delivery..why do I think nobody is going to see delivery until August?

Anyway, changed my mind re the new blue color or at least I thought I did until I checked how much they are asking for the pearl white color...
$3900.00!!!! WHAT? 3 years ago it was $790.00! But still feel that we have a right to know approximately when delivery will be as opposed to being told...MB have a habit of not announcing until the last minute on new cars..well its not new, its a facelift. Rant over as I still am a big supporter.....however........

Anyone here driven a California Ferrari.......besides the obvious questions..comfort factor comparisons?
So, I was hoping for the end of May for the new SL (not April) but it's taking longer.
Production status is B4, so the car will be build this week. That would mean end of June delivery. Let's hope they stay on the ball..
Old 05-24-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Latest realistic dates I have are more like end of August if one is lucky. Basic price is around 109K(not sure if this includes delivery charges or not) and with the options I am having, not much change out of 120K..so if I trade mine out at around 40 thousand miles, I'm thinking I will have to fork out another 70 grand........so they
better not come out with a brand new shape until at least 2021 as this is becoming expensive every 3 years!!!!!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Latest realistic dates I have are more like end of August if one is lucky. Basic price is around 109K(not sure if this includes delivery charges or not) and with the options I am having, not much change out of 120K..so if I trade mine out at around 40 thousand miles, I'm thinking I will have to fork out another 70 grand........so they
better not come out with a brand new shape until at least 2021 as this is becoming expensive every 3 years!!!!!
Late August based on what info?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:24 AM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Based on dealer info..MB Naples FL. Don't shoot the messenger just passing on what I was told. Tend to feel they are correct.

Also why don't MB have any information relating to build out for the 2017's on their website..usually when they do we have a shooting chance of getting something within 3 months. Just saying, but by all means if you have inside knowledge,,pray tell as you are right most of the time and I don't particularly want to wait until end August/Sept.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Jaguar FT-R
Lost my business

I was considering a new SL but wanted it/needed it before road trips the next two months. Though my dealer said I could order, it felt like there was no assurance of delivery before the end of summer. I went with a Jaguar F-Type R and could not be happier. Glad I did not trust that the SL would really be "Spring", as promised.

Larry
Old 05-25-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Based on dealer info..MB Naples FL. Don't shoot the messenger just passing on what I was told. Tend to feel they are correct.

Also why don't MB have any information relating to build out for the 2017's on their website..usually when they do we have a shooting chance of getting something within 3 months. Just saying, but by all means if you have inside knowledge,,pray tell as you are right most of the time and I don't particularly want to wait until end August/Sept.
I don't know anything about this dealers credibility, but I took my wife's car there for a recall a couple years ago, and was told that they had 95 MB loaners. Coming from a GM dealer background that amazed me. My guess is they are pretty high volume and may have some inside information.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info!
My dealer experience (no matter the size of the dealership) is that they either don't have the information or if, will not share it as it goes against current sales.
Most live by marketing releases (I had posted an internal marketing memo for the SL). Big picture rather than specific details (specs, dates, prices). They seem to have to wait for Netstar data to see that.

Worse is MB's website. Data will only show weeks/months online after cars can be ordered. I know friends that are having S-Class convertibles build; try to find those on mbusa.com

That said, re. the 2017 I don't have to speculate much. The car is in the production which can be monitored through its steps. From production to dealer is typically takes a month unless they are held back at port for one reason or another.

Here are the production codes each MB goes through:
A4 FINAL SUPPLIER ORDER/SCHEDULED NOT PRODUCED
B0 19 DAYS TO PRODUCTION
B1 13 DAYS TO PRODUCTION
B3 NO CHANGES POSSIBLE
B4 2 DAYS TO COMPLETION
B5 PRODUCTION COMPLETE
B7 AT PORT/READY TO BE SHIPPED
B8 ASSIGNED TO SHIP
C1 SHIP DEPARTED
C2 SHIP NOTIFICATION/ON WQTER
CS SUMITTED TO CUSTOMS
C3 CLEARED CUSTOMS
C4 AT PORT
D1 VPC RECEIVED
D2 SURVEYED AT VPC
D3 POTENTIAL DELAY
D4 READY TO DELIVER
D5 RELEASED TO CARRIER
D9 WHOLESALE/CONSIGNMENT PENDING
F1 WHOLESALED AND INVOICED
I1 RETAIL

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-25-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 PM

Great info.........thx
Old 07-14-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 SL550 Iridium Silver/Bengal Red, 2017 S550 Coupe Obsidian Black/Crystal Grey
I ordered a '17 SL550 in late March (Iridium Silver/Bengal Red) and I was the first in line to get one at the largest MB dealer here in Houston. The car was built the first week of May (30 days ahead of schedule) and arrived at the port in Brunswick, Georgia on June 9th and has been sitting there ever since because, according to my dealer, MB cannot release any '17 model year cars until final emissions certification is received from the EPA and they are being very tough (thanks to the cheaters at VW). The dealer's MB rep is telling them that they still expect a July "launch" date when they can start releasing cars to the dealers from the port, but that is still not 100% confirmed.

Anyone else out there in the same boat and getting the same story? Seems a little strange since there were no changes to the SL550 engine from '16 to '17, but I don't see any other reason for MB to be holding cars at the port.