SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: S550 coupe vs sl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 cl550
S550 coupe vs sl

Was in MB dealer finalizing sl order. Saw S coupe and though beautiful with agressive look.
Dealer gave great numbers.
Is the S coupe a youthful car or.more old man type.
Been an sl owner for years?
Obviously, two very different cars. Might be time for a switch.
Comments about.pros cons of both.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Stomachmd
Was in MB dealer finalizing sl order. Saw S coupe and though beautiful with agressive look.
Dealer gave great numbers.
Is the S coupe a youthful car or.more old man type.
Been an sl owner for years?
Obviously, two very different cars. Might be time for a switch.
Comments about.pros cons of both.
Coupe is a beautiful car, but not a convertible.
We were thinking of getting one when they came out but they were a poor value compared to the sedan (higher cost, higher MF, lower residual). In the end, loosing the 2 doors wasn't worth it to me and we got the S550.

SL is faster and more nimble. Tech is older on some features (comand, touchpad, NFC, etc.) and newer on others (Steering assist, Apple CarPlay) etc.

Buyer demographics are the same.

If top down is not important, try the coupe. Keep in mind that the coupe's pano roof doesn't open, unlike the sedan.

To me, I would't consider giving up the convertible. I would drop the sedan for the coupe in a heartbeat if the numbers look good. But then I would get the AMG GT-C coupe, not the S-Class coupe.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:32 PM

2009 cl550
Wollfman, as always impressive input.
Much thanks!! Live in Northeast with SL as daily driver.
Agree that drop top is great. Winters are a nightmare however.
Is the s550 coupe with 4matic and 20" adequate for snow driving
Contemplating snows for the sl if I lock on that as alternative.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Stomachmd
Wollfman, as always impressive input.
Much thanks!! Live in Northeast with SL as daily driver.
Agree that drop top is great. Winters are a nightmare however.
Is the s550 coupe with 4matic and 20" adequate for snow driving
Contemplating snows for the sl if I lock on that as alternative.
Coupe has 4matic, which is great except that the car has summer performance run flats on it, so you need to swap to all-season tires. 20" will be fine for snow.
I used Conti DWS2's which work great on our S550 (20" as well).

SL's are great in snow with snow tires. I have Pirelli snows which were fantastic even in Minnesota winters.
Since we also have a SUV and thus two 4matics, there just wasn't a great need for SL winter driving...
Old 11-23-2016, 10:56 PM

2007 SL55 AMG 2016 S550 Coupe
Drove sl amg for years, just got s550 Coupe Replaced stock ecu to Renntech ecu and to be honest I think the s550 may be bit faster than sl55amg. Love the room and the ride. Do miss the sound of the Renntech headers last sl had. Very pleased. New technology and options are great.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1bad55
Drove sl amg for years, just got s550 Coupe Replaced stock ecu to Renntech ecu and to be honest I think the s550 may be bit faster than sl55amg. Love the room and the ride. Do miss the sound of the Renntech headers last sl had. Very pleased. New technology and options are great.
Congrats!
The stock S550 Coupe was rated the same as the SL55 and those numbers were realistic. So it's easy to see that ECU tuned will beat the 55, especially with AWD.

The stock SL550 however was already quite a bit quicker than either the coupe or the SL55

Post some pics!
Old 07-20-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
I am selling my beautiful S550 Coupe Edition 1 to get an SL550- I wanted the convertible.

There is NO BETTER CRUISER than the S550 Coupe IMO- solid strong looks fantastic and powerful (Better than my new SL) and the SL, other than Carplay is the identical COMAND system in most ways.
One thing that I really love about my outgoing S550 (If anyone wants to buy it- mine is better than most any you will find on the internet- I have warranty until late 2022 through MB transferable)
is that the S coupe for being so big really drives much smaller than it is. The air suspension keeps it surprisingly flat in the corners, double paned glass keeps it very quiet inside and it is just a solid piece of kit as the brits say.
And mine plays DVDs in MOTION (All older style COMAND systems can even in the SL) Cruising to the 3 Stooges is just awesome! But at 4800 lb. it is heavy... But I've loved my S but the open air is calling me lol
If the Panoramic roof opened I would maybe keep it. Oh and the seats in the S coupe are the absolute best anywhere- better than the SL.

That said the SL is the best of ALL worlds- great go slow cruiser- great back road burner and of course the top down just completes the picture- and the hard top WITH a sunroof is just killer IMO.