SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Bengal Red -- headliner and trim options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Bengal Red -- headliner and trim options?

Hi, I'm ordering an EDP SL450 with the bengal red / black leather seats (iridium silver metallic exterior), and have a couple of questions.

Headliner: in all the photos on the website, the bengal red / black leather interior has the grey headliner, but the dealer insists that this is not an option -- it only comes with the black headliner. If you have the bengal red interior, what color is your headliner?

Trim: Do any of you have the designo bamboo trim? If so, I would appreciate seeing a photo with the red interior. The other wood trims just seem a bit too shiny for me, but I'm also considering the aluminum with light carbon grain trim.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by seascape
Hi, I'm ordering an EDP SL450 with the bengal red / black leather seats (iridium silver metallic exterior), and have a couple of questions.

Headliner: in all the photos on the website, the bengal red / black leather interior has the grey headliner, but the dealer insists that this is not an option -- it only comes with the black headliner. If you have the bengal red interior, what color is your headliner?

Trim: Do any of you have the designo bamboo trim? If so, I would appreciate seeing a photo with the red interior. The other wood trims just seem a bit too shiny for me, but I'm also considering the aluminum with light carbon grain trim.

Thanks!
Options are based on the country it would be ordered through. That is what's available.

Bamboo is available in the US but I haven't seen that option in Europe. Either way, this would be a brave color combo.

We had the same color combo in our first R231 (see pic). Iridium silver/black nappa with black ash (best wood for this color combo IMO) and black headliner. There was no option for headliners in the US.
Personally have never been a fan of aluminum in the SL. The texture always reminded me the fake metalized plastic trim in low-end models. Carbon fiber would look good.

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-21-2017 at 12:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Wolfman, I love that description "brave color combo"! When I was optioning out the car, I was taken aback by the bengal red / black leather interior with designo bamboo trim, but then I noticed that many of the older classic Mercedes had similar color combinations, so it's kind of grown on me.

I also don't like the aluminum trim option, even though it matches the door handles, seat belt restraints and other control knobs. The aluminum with light carbon grain makes it look better IMHO.

I still get a kick out of "brave color combo" every time I think about it!
Old 02-22-2017, 01:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 SL550 Iridium Silver/Bengal Red, 2017 S550 Coupe Obsidian Black/Crystal Grey
I have the Bengal Red interior and Iridium Silver exterior on my '17 SL550 and it has the black headliner (no option for anything else). I have the carbon fiber trim and it looks great with the Bengal Red--like Wolfman stated, I think the brushed aluminum looks cheap.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...ml#post6882716

Last edited by HouTexMB; 02-22-2017 at 01:44 PM.