SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: New member and looking into buying a 1977 450SL - any advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None yet
Question New member and looking into buying a 1977 450SL - any advice appreciated!

Hi everyone,

New here and decided to sign up after reading a couple of great threads.

I am looking into buying a 1970ies 450 SL, will look at a 1977 tomorrow actually. Purpose is to use as a weekend fun car. Wanted to see if you have any general advice or something that applies to this model. I am new to classic cars for the most part, but definitely understand a bit about mechanics etc.

Here is what I know so far:
- California car, allegedly parked in garage (I'll check the rust tomorrow)
- It is running and I'll find out more tomorrow
- Pictures look pretty good as far as exterior and interior can be judged from those
- No rear bench, no soft folding top, only hard top
- It's around $3500

When I look at it, what should I check for before I take it to a mechanic I trust?

Thanks a bunch for every help I can get!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Mileage?? The price sounds good, even if there are things that need fixing. For one this old, check the climate control/AC, power steering pump and steering box leaks, front trans seal leak, Fuel issues from long storage, but hey, if it runs.... Also cam cover gasket leaks - no biggie there. Fuel pumps: if they buzz when the car runs, figure on replacing them. One big thing, at least it was on my 560SL, is the ignition control module. They rarely fail, and there is no way to test them if they are working, but they are big $$ to replace. I would just let a trusted mechanic experienced in older Mercedes check it out...they will probably think of things I have left out. Oh: this motor has a single row timing chain - prone to stretch. Cam oiler guides wear out too.

Also, no soft top? Is it like - gone...or is this an SLC [hardtop model] Might explain the price.

Good luck. When they run right, R107's are awesome. When they don't, they can be endless aggravation.

PS: figure on replacing the fan clutch - it's probably long worn out by now, and it will prevent many running-hot issues. It did on my 560SL.

PS2: You can probably tell this is not a very active forum for R017's. I used to frequent the Benzworld forum, but that crowd is...well...you judge for yourself.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None yet
Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the detailed insights. I am going to let a mechanic look over it on Wednesday. Fingers crossed it's in ok condition.

160k miles BTW. And regarding the hard top - being new to classic Mercedes I think I just didn't realize the soft top is folded away under the hard top? It was raining like crazy when I test drove it and there was no chance for us to take the hard top off.

Which online community would you recommend for 107 questions?

Best!
agav
Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Lots of miles, but not for the age. Pretty typical. Be prepared for a leaky soft top. Unless it's been replaced, the seals have likely had it. Sometimes you can just have the stripping and window seals replaced, but I know my 87 560SL had a new top that was just put on in 2007 before I bought it. Also know: that hard top weighs 80+ lbs. Have help when you remove it. For 107 questions, I hate to say it but Benzworld.org is probably the best. They have a LOT of permanent threads about 107's including an encyclopedia of sorts. More info than you can read in a week.

Good luck...again