SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Looking to buy a 560SL....advice?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G500
Looking to buy a 560SL....advice?

Hello friends,

New to the forum here. Hope you all are well

Looking for an R107 560 SL. I have been looking for a while and have seen plenty of them available but I want to be picky here. I LOVE everything about the car. Would be mostly for weekend use as I currently walk to work.

What advice would you have when purchasing one? I have decided not to settle on a few thugs such as full service history. I have also heard it may be better to get a high mile car with service records than a more idle low mile car without. What do you think?

I am really looking for something in all original condition. Do you think that ones that have been "restored" will hold their value as well?

Looking for the black / blue on tan. If you know of a nice clean example for sale I would so very much appreciate you letting me know

This would be my first vintage car!!

Thank you MBworld

Joshua
Old 06-19-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G500
Thank you for all the advice!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
The problem with these is that there are SO many variables that can affect the condition and reliability. Prices are all over the board because for every garage queen, there are 20 that were/are never serviced properly. These are not really collectable cars in the true sense, so most owners will not have detailed service records. I bought mine in pretty good shape, and it had no records...but it was a local car and I'm the 3rd owner....so I felt pretty safe. Even so, I've had to replace the fuel pumps, have the steering box rebuilt, replace ignition control module, various gaskets, hoses, etc.....the front trans seal is seeping ever so slightly, but that will keep. The laundry list never really ends. If I had it to do over, I would look seriously at a Porsche 911.