SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Pls help - Changed Spark Plugs and Now Stalling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 380sl
Pls help - Changed Spark Plugs and Now Stalling

Hi Everyone-

Newly registered to the forum, but have been gratefully following articles posted.

I just replaced my spark plugs on my 1985 380SL. Some were smelling of gas, others were rusted, and all were overworn (pic attached).

While I was replacing the plugs, I took the air filter housing off, and noticed that the EGR hose wasn't properly connected. I connected it. I also noticed that there were a few vacuum hoses which seemed broken (including one going to the EGR hose).

After finishing the job, the car had a rough idle (it had a somewhat rough idle before as well), but what's more concerning is that the car is now stalling.

The stalling takes place usually while the car is stopped (at which point the RPM goes to about 500). The car shakes, feels like it's not getting enough air, and stalls. The oil pressure gauge also dips slightly when this happens.

My thinking is that this is one of three things:

1. Wrong plugs (I used the ones which Autozone suggested- Bosch Super Plugs). Non Resistor copper plugs, and I'm not sure if my wires are resistor wires (How do I check)? Would using these plugs possibly cause something like this?

2. A broken vacuum hose along the way. I do not think is is likely. Further, I don't think the vacuum hose to the EGR hose was attached when I started dissembling the air filter housing.

3. The EGR hose. Before I switched the plugs, this was not connected to the air filter housing properly. I connected it properly - any chance that disconnecting this hose could stop these issues?

I've attached pictures of the hoses that I saw which look like their broken. Not sure if I can just seal these up?

Would very much appreciate help here. I love my R107, and am new to the SL world (just bought this car 2 weeks ago, and am doing as much as I can to bring it back to life).

This stalling issue is very upsetting. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Pls help - Changed Spark Plugs and Now Stalling-img_2679.jpg   Pls help - Changed Spark Plugs and Now Stalling-img_2677.jpg