SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 89 Black 560SL w/ Blue Interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 560SL 2007 E350 Wagon
89 Black 560SL w/ Blue Interior

I'm selling my baby! $2400 or OBO.

89 560SL. Black with blue interior.
Has 157K miles but the engine was just rebuilt. Has chrome Larimer Mercedes rims and both hard and soft top. The soft top on the car has a tear in it but also included with the car is a brand new soft top, still in the box. Also, I believe I still have the original Mercedes AM/FM Cassette stereo that will go with the car but inside the car is a Bluetooth, hands-free Pioneer AM/FM/CD with built-in microphone.

Long story short but one of the plastic timing chain guides broke as I started the car a year ago and the connecting rod on one of the pistons broke. The local Mercedes shops all wanted to just replace the original engine with a new Mercedes-certified crate engine with a cost of around $11,000.

I found a shop that specializes in engine rebuilds who agreed to do the rebuild but they admitted that they don't do a lot of rebuilds for Mercedes engines. They sent the head to a machine shop to be milled, replaced the broken connecting rod, honed the cylinders, replaced the bearings, and installed a new radiator.

Once they got the engine back in the car and reconnected everything, the engine runs and revs fine but doesn't want to accelerate when the car is under load and being driven. Well, that kind of makes it hard to go up hills.

So I paid the engine shop for their work and towed it to my Mercedes mechanic now that the car is running. They essentially told me that it could be as expensive as $3000 - $5000 more to get the car performing flawlessly but they wouldn't really be able to tell until they dug into it.

Since I had already just spent an additional $1200 to have a new starter and battery installed, I was now into the car for over $5,200 on the rebuild and I couldn't justify the added expense. The lead mechanic who installed the new starter did tell me that most of the cost would be in labor because it just involves going through the various parts of the fuel system and finding out what the issue is. He recommended that I put it on the Mercedes forums and let someone who has a detailed knowledge of these cars buy it because they could do the work themselves and end up with a great car.

Please note: the car runs and drives but because of the fuel injector issue, just won't go up hills. Therefore, the buyer will need to make arrangements to have the car towed or will need to tow the car themselves.

If interested or you have questions, email or text me and I will get back to you as quickly as possible. The car is located in Woodstock, GA; which is the NW suburbs of Atlanta.

Ron
770-310-8884
ronicard@comcast.net

Last edited by ronicard; 12-11-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 560SL 2007 E350 Wagon
Sold

The car sold today. Thanks for looking.