SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: Greetings, Newly acquird 560 SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes 560SL
Greetings, Newly acquird 560 SL

Hi all

I have just imported an 87 560 SL. It has only done 69k, and being a US car is nice and rust free.

Before anyone points it out, I know that the rear badge is on the wrong side!

Have a few things to sort - new Seat covers (already sourced in the US and in the boot), new soft top (again already sourced), and a few parts I have already ordered off the SL Shop (wood trim for around gear lever, and ashtray and seals for hard and softtop, plus side rubbing trims which have seen better days.

It passed MOT bar some steering ball joints which is being sorted. I have an ABS light on, which I think is a wheel sensor, and it is slightly reluctant to start at the moment, so will be going for a full service.

A good mate is a detailer so I will be leaving it with him for a few days to bring up to scratch and the wheels will be professionally refurbished at the same time.

Has anywone ever extracted a bit more power out of the US 560 - can any of the strangling emissions stuff be removed or is it too much like hard work?

Any tips generally welcomed.

Ed