SL/SLC-Class (R107) 1971-1989 : 250SL, 280SL, 450 SL, 380 SLC, 450 SL, 380 SL, 560 SL

SL/R107: 1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
... are always a good time.
1973 Mercedes 450SL AMG Tribute build

I've been a member of this forum for a few years. And have had several Mercedes vehicles since. All of them quite different with no real discernible pattern of ownership.

Although, one thing that had remained constant is, to me the most important aspect of ownership.

CUSTOMIZATION
MODIFICATION
PERSONALIZATION

Nothing to radical. But definitely noticeable. After all, I do need to use the car often. And that I do. Road trips. Car shows with my son. Romantic weekends away with the bride. And of course, cruising San Francisco with my buddy Giovani.

2003 C32 AMG, 2011 GL450, 1993 "The Beast" 500E, 1970 280S, and a 1975 450SL.

All awesome cars. All have been sold except the SUV.

Now, I think I have my keeper. I now introduce to you, "Goldie" as named by my daughters.

1973 Mercedes Benz 450SL

I found this vehicle online on a FB Page. I contacted the consignment dealer, requested specific detailed pics and info. Decided that it was worth making an offer.

I presented my price all the while knowing that I had to transport the vehicle from North Carolina to San Francisco California.

The offer was accepted and made arrangements for a truck to pick it up. Within 10 days, this beautiful convertible was sitting on my driveway.

This very straight, single owner vehicle had appx 81k miles. It was still its original color but a repaint. Byzantine Gold.

The interior is worn but not torn. Carpet is used up but no holes. Dash board has only a small crack.

A/C works. Heater works. Blower fan is weak. Basically, the car needs to be freshened up.

Anyway, I don't plan to restore. My intentions are so much more interesting. Yes, this is a nice candidate for a concours if I wanted to dump a lot of cash and store it away. To me, that does not sound very interesting. Not only can I not afford a restoration but it does not fit my lifestyle.

So, here is my beautiful Goldie. Purchased about 6 months ago. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails 1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20151115_194653.jpg  

Last edited by Calspeed; 10-05-2018 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Everything changes...
Old 02-10-2016, 03:15 PM

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
450SL
Check to make sure the front subframe "recall" was done. It is still an open campaign. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...me-recall.html
Old 02-11-2016, 05:38 PM

I wanted a convertible. And a sedan with a sunroof would not work. How do I know this? Because I was bitten by the convertible bug in 1998.

I had recently finished restoration on a 1971 BMW 2800. It was beautiful. My buddy and I just finished the paint. All we needed to do was wet sand and polish. This was in the summer of 1998, I think. BMW was the featured marque at the Monterey Classic Historic races at Laguna Seca Raceway. And I was going to bring my car there this year. My first showing at a premier auto event.

Well, long story made very short. I was driving the BMW in San Francisco early Sunday morning when there is very minimal traffic. While stopped behind a car at an intersection, a kid in a Toyota GTS came around the corner much too fast and understeered into my beautiful freshly painted BMW 2800. He was in shock, his girlfriend was in tears and I was beyond words. No yelling or screaming...

My insurance company totaled the car for a post appraised value. I was sad but no longer devastated. I was now on the search for a different type of car. That was when I discovered the Datsun roadster.

My first convertible. It was amazing. An amazing discovery of what I had been missing all my life. I fell deep into this obsession and built myself gorgeous and rare 1967.5 Datsun Roadster 2000.

But once my daughter was born the two seater vintage sports car was pretty damn impractical. So I bought a 1985 Porsche Carrera Cabriolet. I figured, at least it's not as rough and cold as a Datsun Roadster. This car lasted about 2 years until my second daughter was born.

From that moment on it is always been sedans. I had the M5, C32, vintage Mercedes.... etc. My last sedan was in 1993 Mercedes 500E. I had a great time with this car. I showed it at Monterey at the Legends of the Autobahn. Then, I sold it. I have 3 kids and the eldest is 16. It's time for me to get another convertible.

There were some guidelines that I need it to follow. I needed something that I would not have to smog test. Something that was beautiful. And I no longer needed a car for track days. ( I do motorcycle track days now)

A year ago I was on the search for a rust free Mercedes 450SL. I drove up and down the state of California looking for the right car. I didn't find anything for a little while but I did learn that you cannot trust a Craigslist ad.

I eventually did find a 1975 450SL. In Northern California. After about 4 months of ownership I was informed of another vehicle. It was a 1973 450SL located in North Carolina. I contacted the consignment shop and got the details. Everything sounded good and we came to a good price. I arranged a truck to pick it up and a week later it was in San Francisco.

I made a quick sale on my 1975 to an automotive exporter.

This thread is dedicated to my 1973 Byzantine Gold Mercedes Benz 450SL.
Attached Thumbnails 1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-screenshot_2015-09-04-18-36-59-1.jpg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-screenshot_2016-02-11-14-36-12-1.jpg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-fb_img_1453167691028.jpg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-0813151759a.jpg  

Last edited by Calspeed; 02-11-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 450SL
Mods

Hey man,

Been tracking the news feed on facebook for some time now. I have a '79 450SL that has been my daily driver for over 5 years now and i have loved every minute of it. That being said, its now over 175,000 miles and needs some of a 'refresh' as you put it. Im starting from the bottom and am currently putting in new drive axles. While im down there (and have access to a lift) i was thinking of doing new shocks/springs and lowering the car/improving its outdated suspension. I was curious what you have done so far, in particular to how you achieved your lowered 'stance'.

- chris
Old 02-13-2016, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by myway
Check to make sure the front subframe "recall" was done. It is still an open campaign. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r-c1...me-recall.html
Thank you for the tip. Much appreciated.
Originally Posted by Herby1331
Hey man,

Been tracking the news feed on facebook for some time now. I have a '79 450SL that has been my daily driver for over 5 years now and i have loved every minute of it. That being said, ..... I was curious what you have done so far, in particular to how you achieved your lowered 'stance'.

- chris
PM coming your way. Otherwise, more info to follow on this thread.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:44 PM

The Arrival

It's all about timing. I've been juggling multiple vehicles all my life. Currently own 7 motorcycles too. Another story all its own.

The tricky part of this transaction was that I already had had beautiful 450SL on the driveway. How do I convince my wife that I needed a different car. One that was older. One that was located 3000 miles away on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean.

For me it was quite easy. The 1973 version had only 80k miles on the odometer. It was all original and from the original owner. It was also a first year 450SL in the United States. And it has a subtle uniqueness that sets it apart.

The truck driver called me up and tells me that he's going to be late and he will be crossing over from Oakland into San Francisco at approximately 7 p.m. I direct him to meet me at a local Community College parking lot. The location of this parking lot is very close to the freeway. This way he does not have to worry about the tight corners and narrow hilly streets of San Francisco. At approximately 7 p.m. he arrived.

There she was. The last vehicle on his carrier. Tucked all the way to the front behind his cab. And we all know that that is the premium spot in an open Auto Carrier. As he prepares his vehicle with ramps I step back to take it all in. I was looking at a beautiful 1973 specimen of Mercedes craftsmanship. I was also sizing it up and making plans on how I was going to modify this gorgeous "Sports Light".

He drove the vehicle slowly off of his carrier. It looked beautiful but it had a strange idle. But that was okay. I was happy to have this East Coast transplant safely in The City. It wasn't long until I had this car on my driveway.
Attached Thumbnails 1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20150901_180104.jpeg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20150901_180140.jpeg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20150901_192710.jpeg  

Last edited by Calspeed; 02-13-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:05 AM

Time to enjoy...

The best weather is now upon us. In San Francisco, the weather becomes fantastic in August. The fog is gone. Everyday, we can expect temperatures in the mid 70s. Out here is called "Real Estate" weather. This is the best time to put your house on the market. But it's also the best time to put the top down on your convertible.

I had a couple weeks of fantastic driving. Until, one weekend the problems began. It was my kids birthday. We went to the Presidio in San Francisco for a kids party. The sun was shining. So I took the Mercedes and met my wife at the birthday party.

I was so proud that I was able to find a great parking spot. In the shade, away from other cars. Well, a couple hours later I went to start the car and it would not fire. I could not figure it out. I ended up calling a flatbed tow truck to haul my car to Mercedes San Francisco.

The car sat for awhile because they didn't have anyone available to work on a car that old. I eventually just had it removed and sent to my buddies shop across town. He replaced a module and got it going again. Perfect timing because I was getting ready to go on my annual birthday roadtrip.

I found a nice set of period correct Ronal wheels and installed new tires. Also, installed a set of Bilsteins. My 450SL was running nice. I need to hot the road!

But first, we needed to show at the annual San Francisco Old Car Picnic at Golden Gate Park.
Attached Thumbnails 1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20150904_105715.jpg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20151010_160512.jpg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20151017_142834-1.jpg   1973 Mercedes 450SL / Project Classic-20151017_143814.jpg  
Old 04-15-2021, 05:20 PM

1973 Mercedes 450sl
I have a 1973 Mercedes 450sl that I have been slowly rebuilding for a number of years now. I start the car, and it runs for a short while, then after it is warm it stops. I have new everything on it but it continues to do the same thing so what can I do to get this awesome car running and on the road.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rickey Watts
I have a 1973 Mercedes 450sl that I have been slowly rebuilding for a number of years now. I start the car, and it runs for a short while, then after it is warm it stops. I have new everything on it but it continues to do the same thing so what can I do to get this awesome car running and on the road.
Thanks for reviving this thread. I completely forgot about it. My car has been recently sold but regardless I still have lots of info from the build.

As for your question, I was experiencing similar if not the same. On roadtrips, if I stopped the car to get fuel or for lunch I would have a difficult time restarting the car..

I turned out to be an old ballast resister. I think there are two. Anyway, that cured the issue. Strange as I still can't figure out why that was the reason. Maybe someone else can contribute. Otherwise, here are a few more pics of the car also known as Goldie. #goldie107

Old 04-15-2021, 06:51 PM

Installed a set of swaybars on Goldie and the handling was phenomenal!

And she was a regular during Monterey Car Week at the Legends of the Autobahn Concours event. Not good enough to win but definitely showed well.

Old 04-15-2021, 06:56 PM

A trip to Napa Valley with my wife. This car belongs here.

And with the hardtop, its a completely different driving experience.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:01 PM

And to change it up and get aggressive....

...i decided to repaint the rims and install a set of performance tires

Another night out with my wife in Goldie.

If like to think that Goldie was one of the coolest modified R107s on earth. It started out simple and then i decided to do "whatever i wanted" dispite the online controversy.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:56 AM

1973 Mercedes 450sl
Originally Posted by Calspeed
Thanks for reviving this thread. I completely forgot about it. My car has been recently sold but regardless I still have lots of info from the build.

As for your question, I was experiencing similar if not the same. On roadtrips, if I stopped the car to get fuel or for lunch I would have a difficult time restarting the car..

I turned out to be an old ballast resister. I think there are two. Anyway, that cured the issue. Strange as I still can't figure out why that was the reason. Maybe someone else can contribute. Otherwise, here are a few more pics of the car also known as Goldie. #goldie107
Thanks a million for the info on my car. I will buy a couple of ballast today. I must say I am totally copying your entire car. I love the color and stance of your car. I have a used set of Ronal “15 wheels that look like yours are yours the same size? I am gonna refinish them in chrome and I will eventually get my car painted the same Byzantine Gold that your car is as it is a classic kool color.
Thank you for the inspiration, I’ll make sure I post again as I go along with this car. Where did you get the sway bar and how much did it cost? Wow I am gonna go out and work on it now