SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: TEXAS MILE SL600 w/ VRP825 KIT !!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
DC,

I appreciate the lesson but I am not new to this game. Casting manifolds is not rocket science. The Z32 300ZX guys (I used to be one) have cast manifolds available for their cars. While I totally understand the economies of scale, as there are many more 300ZXs than V12 Benzes, it is not on the magnitude Brabus would have you believe with their $30k turbo upgrades. You could still have the manifolds and turbo housings be separate in an upgrade.

These are made here in the USA, not overseas...

http://www.importpartspro.com/mismvgcamani.html

-m

Thanks for the answer. I didn't want to seem arrogant, I am just french

I was pretty sure casting new manifolds was hella complicated/expensive.

My knowledge is basic, that kind of threads helps me to improve it.

As I asked before, what Do you think it possible to apply all the wonders the Porsche guys do to their K24's to the MB V12 ???
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
Guys we need to be bugging the new guy, PrecisionEngine (Pete) about doing turbos on these cars. You guys probably don't know who he really is but the guy builds some ridiculously fast cars and has been developing and fabricating turbo applications for years. I know he's not on here to solicit business, but he built a turbo for my old Supra which was just fantastic.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/

-m
I spoke with Pete Barton from Precision Turbo yesterday (about turbo uprades and possibilites for the V12TT) and he didn't mention anything about having an SL65. Are you sure that's the Pete you're reffering to? Is there another "Pete" at Precision Turbo?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:30 PM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
I soke to Pete at precision turbo several times. I spent 3k (engine came down) to have my exht manifolds removed and sent to them. He specifically said nothing he can do. He was not even confortable milling the housing to fit a larger wheel.

One option that I am considering but makes me nervous is to have my own tech here in Atlanta (he is good with fabing headers) make a custom turbo manifold and have protomotive or some other well respected turbo builder build the right turbo (a hybrid gt30-35). They will have to figure out A/R, trim etc.. The turbos would have to go where the cats are, then have LET or whom ever do the tune on a rented dyno. Obviosly who knows what problems we will run into. This project may push parts such as injectors, fuel pump, MAP sensor, beyond the limits. And who knows the design limits of the pistons, rods, crank etc.... Can anyone confirm (no guessing please) if those parts are forged.

I did talk to Hertmut (sp?) at renntech but he certainly was not that excited about doing a one off project like this.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Banned

SL600
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
I did talk to Hertmut (sp?) at renntech but he certainly was not that excited about doing a one off project like this.
That is the problem with Mercedes. We have a bunch of conservative tuners, I think Mercedes has some of the slowest cars (in terms of tuners) because there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm about extracting quadruple digit hp figures out of these engines-- or at the very least not as much as there is with the Supra, Viper, Lamborghini crowds. It seems if there is a difficult project that someone wants done, all the reputable names (such as RennTECH) simply cant be bothered. You mean to tell me for 60K I can get my Gallardo turbocharged to hell, but I cant get 1000bhp out of an SL65 (whose SL got stolen again)? Ridiculous.

Soulsearcher, skip the bs and just approach Hennessey and see what they say. Names like RennTECH and Kleemann simply wont do the job; it means they would actually have to do a lil R&D and not make a profit by just charging people thousands for a chip and an air box.

Last edited by Akademiks; 10-25-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
harsh words, but I'd say they aren't untrue
Old 10-25-2009, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by DCMETRO22Z
Thanks for the answer. I didn't want to seem arrogant, I am just french

I was pretty sure casting new manifolds was hella complicated/expensive.

My knowledge is basic, that kind of threads helps me to improve it.

As I asked before, what Do you think it possible to apply all the wonders the Porsche guys do to their K24's to the MB V12 ???
If I had the answer to that question I don't think this thread would exist

In all honesty, every platform has its unique, complicated solutions to the quest for more HP and the V12s are no different...

-m
Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by MarkoCL65
I spoke with Pete Barton from Precision Turbo yesterday (about turbo uprades and possibilites for the V12TT) and he didn't mention anything about having an SL65. Are you sure that's the Pete you're reffering to? Is there another "Pete" at Precision Turbo?
Marcin asked me about this too, maybe I am mistaken. Very strange to see two Precision Engines in the Chicagoland area who do turbos/etc and have guys named Pete who are well enough in their respective companies to possibly own 65s? Looks like I assumed too much? I do not know for sure PrecisionEngine on this forum is Pete Barton... and if you say it isn't I cannot argue.

-m
Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM

SL600 (1000 hp), Cayenne S, 996TT EVO GT750, F430 Spyder,A real Ford GT, 08 Gallardo Spyder
there are three solutions if ya want to upgrade your turbos.

- SL65 turbos (been done by renntech on Mr Feyle 's personnal SL600)

- SL65 Black series turbos (Compressor wheel & turbine wheels slightly larger)

- Brabus T13 Or T65S kit, wich includes a Larger exhaust manifold, cast especially for brabus

The must of the must would be Brabus exhaust manifold with SL65 BS Compressor, combined with VRP 825 elements (fat *** intercoolaz)

All those options above have not netted the HP we are looking for. The magic number is a real 800 rwhp (1000 crank), with an early spool, meaning a substantial area under the curve vs just a peak.

Last edited by soulsearcher; 10-27-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: did not include quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM

pete at precision

This was a pete at Precision Turbo in Hebron, IN.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM

x

Originally Posted by Akademiks
That is the problem with Mercedes. We have a bunch of conservative tuners, I think Mercedes has some of the slowest cars (in terms of tuners) because there seems to be a lack of enthusiasm about extracting quadruple digit hp figures out of these engines-- or at the very least not as much as there is with the Supra, Viper, Lamborghini crowds. It seems if there is a difficult project that someone wants done, all the reputable names (such as RennTECH) simply cant be bothered. You mean to tell me for 60K I can get my Gallardo turbocharged to hell, but I cant get 1000bhp out of an SL65 (whose SL got stolen again)? Ridiculous.

Soulsearcher, skip the bs and just approach Hennessey and see what they say. Names like RennTECH and Kleemann simply wont do the job; it means they would actually have to do a lil R&D and not make a profit by just charging people thousands for a chip and an air box.

Wish it was that ez. After another conversation with Hennessey he did not seem all that excited about taking on such a new project with an untested platform. I think larger tuners are reluctant to do this because of the susbstantial initial investement in R&D, and with no promise of return on investement. So Hennessey aint it.

I left a VM for Todd at Protomotive. Word is that he might be intersted in such a project. Also, Marcin in Chicago, maybe have some ideas. Regardless my car never delivered the HP expected. Going again to Dyno today, to get more readings including RPM (my dyno guy did not know how to tap that, so Marcin will walk him thru it), AFR and Boost.
I keep getting told by Victor and Marcin that the car is "missing" another 100-130 rwhp. Hope we find it! Would like to enjoy that extra HP b4 I ship the car off again for the turbo project.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

SL600
Here you go, go contact these guys. It seems they know what they're doing. And don't anyone dare tell me it's easier to mod that, then our MB V12s.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Akademiks
Here you go, go contact these guys. It seems they know what they're doing. And don't anyone dare tell me it's easier to mod that, then our MB V12s.
I know Jason (Hefner) personally...he's from Glen Bernie MD and that's where Hefner's Performance started...he used to wrench on mustangs and I know him from my stang days... he's a pretty talented dude and a hard worker ....I still remember back in the late 90's & early 00's when he used to battle it out with Brian Boison (now on Pinks full time, owned ELD out here in MD also) each had sick mustang drag cars; I thin the class was Pro 5.0 or 10.5" outlaw or something like that where they were limited by tire size..
Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 PM

I did talk to UGR (Kevin) but they did not want to take on the project. After all they got 1500HP out of a Gallardo. R&D is a cost center vs a profit center. Most established tuners are reluctant to take on a one-off, since the ROI is questionable as compared to what they already know and do.
Any who, I am not at liberty to say much now but I think we got it figured out. Project will begin (Again) soon and should be done well b4 the March Texas Mile (I think?)
Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 AM

DYNO, AFR, BOOST GRAPHS

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...afr-boost.html
Old 10-29-2009, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I did talk to UGR (Kevin) but they did not want to take on the project. After all they got 1500HP out of a Gallardo. R&D is a cost center vs a profit center. Most established tuners are reluctant to take on a one-off, since the ROI is questionable as compared to what they already know and do.
Any who, I am not at liberty to say much now but I think we got it figured out. Project will begin (Again) soon and should be done well b4 the March Texas Mile (I think?)
you at least tell us if it will be a kit with custom mani and turbo where the stock cats are? I hope all goes well for you.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:50 AM

2003 S600, 1988 RX-7 single turbo vert, 1998 BMW 740IL
I have nothing but good things to say about the folks over at Precison turbo. I currently have a PT67 GTP on my rx now and it was worth ever penny. Secondly these guys are race fans not salesman's. Total class act all around over there. I gained 100hp to the rear wheels after going with there turbo over my previous single. I actually want to buy another if I start a new 3 rotor engine project and buy there PT76.

Guys we need to be bugging the new guy, PrecisionEngine (Pete) about doing turbos on these cars. You guys probably don't know who he really is but the guy builds some ridiculously fast cars and has been developing and fabricating turbo applications for years. I know he's not on here to solicit business, but he built a turbo for my old Supra which was just fantastic.

http://www.precisionturbo.net/

-m
Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 AM

2003 S600, 1988 RX-7 single turbo vert, 1998 BMW 740IL
If you are really serious about building this system drop me a PM. I am no longer in the fab buisness but I can point you in the right direction so you have can a tube manifold built to mount whatever turbo you want to go with.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bukwild
If you are really serious about building this system drop me a PM. I am no longer in the fab buisness but I can point you in the right direction so you have can a tube manifold built to mount whatever turbo you want to go with.
I like the direction that this is going
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanx for the input and all the PMs but the project has been ironed out n most of the details, including turbo, manifold, electronic boost control etc... has been figured.x
Anyone know how I can insert a pic into the body without a link?

Last edited by soulsearcher; 10-29-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: x
Old 10-29-2009, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Thanx for the input and all the PMs but the project has been ironed out n most of the details, including turbo, manifold, electronic boost control etc... has been figured.x
Anyone know how I can insert a pic into the body without a link?
sending you PM w/Email addy send pic's to me I'll host them on Photobucket for ya!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Lots of good ideas in this thread. Did anyone ever accomplish any of them?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you've got the design done have you considered a 3D printed manifold? One of several shops here:
http://www.tenfourmagazine.com/2012/...ust-manifolds/