SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Speedriven V12 SS Downpipes/DIY Flanges

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Speedriven V12 SS Downpipes/DIY Flanges

Speedriven Stainless Steel Downpipes

Our plug and play downpipes are now one sale. Come with direct bolt factory flanges. They are complete stainless steel. Both catless and cated pipes will not throw a cel light.

-stainless steel
-direct fit
-factory style flanges
-no cel
-20hp and 30trq

Fitment
03-06 CL65/600
03-06 SL65/600
03-06 S65/600

Prices
SL $1190 Catless/$1390 200 cell cats
CL $1090 Catless/$1290 200 cell cats
S $1090 Catless/$1290 200 cell cats

Speedriven V12 Turbo flanges
These flanges are for DIY guys. They are designed to match factory flanges and clamp.

-stainless steel
-direct fit to factory

Fitment
SL/S/CL 03-current

Price
$100 shipped in US-Pair

Speedriven V12 Exhaust Flanges
For DIY guys. These flanges are needed when bolting a custom downpipe to oem exhaust.

-direct fit to oem
-stainless steel

Fitment
S/CL 03-06

Price
$100 shipped in US-Pair

Last edited by Speedriven1; 03-04-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
I think I need to order a set!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by shardul
I think I need to order a set!

Haha sounds good
Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTS-V
How long should it take to put a set of these on a SL65? And how thick are the pipes? Any drone with the catless? Bungs to put all O2 sensors back in?
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by ttboost
How long should it take to put a set of these on a SL65? And how thick are the pipes? Any drone with the catless? Bungs to put all O2 sensors back in?

About an hour to install. 3inch pipe is used. No drone from being catless. Bungs for o2's are welded in oem location. We can add more bungs for data logging if wanted.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Only 20hp? Is that with or without the cats? Is that on an otherwise stock car? For downpipes, isn't it correct to say you'll gain x% over current WHP? It's not really a power adder, right? More like a power loss preventionerererer.

I always thought 7-8% was an average number for gains. No clue where I got that number from, that's just what I was taught growing up. Or, that's how my jacked up brain is remembering it, anyways. Could be totally wrong....

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 01-06-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Only 20hp? Is that with or without the cats? Is that on an otherwise stock car? For downpipes, isn't it correct to say you'll gain x% over current WHP? It's not really a power adder, right? More like a power loss preventionerererer.

I always thought 7-8% was an average number for gains. No clue where I got that number from, that's just what I was taught growing up. Or, that's how my jacked up brain is remembering it, anyways. Could be totally wrong....
That's a rough number on a stock car. I think your on a right mind set, im not sure off what number it is also but 5-8% sounds about right.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:38 PM

1999 E55, 2005 SL65
Been considering downpipes for my 05 SL65 and have done some reading on them. I understand there's 4 different downpipe construction methods; the difference appears to be how wastegate gases are managed (pls correct me if i'm wrong). The 4 methods are Blank plate, Bellmouth, Split Bellmouth, and, Divorced or Twin Dump. Which method has Speedriven used?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:47 PM

CTS-V
I have been debating whether to buy pipes, or just the flanges and make my own. Near as I can tell, these downpipes are just pipes. These turbos are internally wastegated, so exhaust is wastegated directly into the downpipe...
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by pjdough
Been considering downpipes for my 05 SL65 and have done some reading on them. I understand there's 4 different downpipe construction methods; the difference appears to be how wastegate gases are managed (pls correct me if i'm wrong). The 4 methods are Blank plate, Bellmouth, Split Bellmouth, and, Divorced or Twin Dump. Which method has Speedriven used?

I think you might have researched import downpipes or others. These cars turbo's and downpipes work differently. On mercedes the exhaust mixes in the turbo housing and then goes down to a vband clamp where the downpipe starts.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM

1999 E55, 2005 SL65
Ok. Would you send me a pic of where the downpipe and manifold meet. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2014, 06:52 PM

CTS-V
They meet at the turbo. On these cars, the turbine housing is cast as part of the exhaust manifold. Not conducive to easy upgrades.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

Speedriven
They meet at the turbo. On these cars, the turbine housing is cast as part of the exhaust manifold. Not conducive to easy upgrades.

Yes! Well put ttboost. I love when customers are well informed
Old 01-10-2014, 11:34 AM

1999 E55, 2005 SL65
Thanks ttboost! Appreciate the info...

Speedriven1, in addition to the pretty pics of shiny pipes and flanges, I'd still like to see the business end of the pipe(s). I think you understand that if I'm about to invest >$1500 I, like ttboost, would like to be "well [or better] informed."

Thanks in advance...

P
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by pjdough
Thanks ttboost! Appreciate the info...

Speedriven1, in addition to the pretty pics of shiny pipes and flanges, I'd still like to see the business end of the pipe(s). I think you understand that if I'm about to invest >$1500 I, like ttboost, would like to be "well [or better] informed."

Thanks in advance...

P

I didn't mean to be negative towards you, just like the fact that he did some research. I will try to get pics of full downpipes off the car.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65
I was thinking about catless pipes myself , but in asking around it seems i get the same answer that its really not needed and it will make the car stink ..LOL
I wanted them to get a little bit better sound from the car.
Some people swear the car sounds better some say the turbos eat up the sound.
My guess is the cats also eat up some sound so down pipes would change the sound a tad.
My local shop says remove the mufflers , others say the cats are the bottleneck mufflers are free flow
So I'm at the point where ya id like to have them from a mod stand point but will i really notice 20 to 30hp ? by the time that 30 gets from crank to wheel its now what 19ish just a guess. Will my *** dyno really feel it that i can say it was worth the trouble.
Then comes the other fact of selling the car...If i sell it to somebody from out of state and in good faith i have to tell them the car has no cats and will not pass inspection or i just need to put the cats back in to sell the car..
Then the person buying the car is like well no cats means the car was raced or beat on etc etc. Lets face it any one buying a car knows we only remove cats for one reason So I'm still tossing it around.
I want TTboost to get them first and report back
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by Fastnine
I was thinking about catless pipes myself , but in asking around it seems i get the same answer that its really not needed and it will make the car stink ..LOL
I wanted them to get a little bit better sound from the car.
Some people swear the car sounds better some say the turbos eat up the sound.
My guess is the cats also eat up some sound so down pipes would change the sound a tad.
My local shop says remove the mufflers , others say the cats are the bottleneck mufflers are free flow
So I'm at the point where ya id like to have them from a mod stand point but will i really notice 20 to 30hp ? by the time that 30 gets from crank to wheel its now what 19ish just a guess. Will my *** dyno really feel it that i can say it was worth the trouble.
Then comes the other fact of selling the car...If i sell it to somebody from out of state and in good faith i have to tell them the car has no cats and will not pass inspection or i just need to put the cats back in to sell the car..
Then the person buying the car is like well no cats means the car was raced or beat on etc etc. Lets face it any one buying a car knows we only remove cats for one reason So I'm still tossing it around.
I want TTboost to get them first and report back
You are putting way too much thought into this and missing some of the key facts mentioned above. Hopefully my cliff notes will make it easier to understand.

Marcin has machined the fittings necessary to do this in your own garage if you are that type of person. He also mentioned the install to take roughly 1 hour. I'd almost bet there is no cutting or welding and its designed to replace the stock section and reconnect with the proper hardware. This is what makes it attractive when you are concerned about resale and opinions of new buyers. It can be simply reversed if you choose, like other bolt ons. Also its being offered with and without cats. As already mentioned the 200 cell hi-flow cats will have little to no difference in power and sound its for you to determine if you will have issues with your use and with state inspections. Lastly I think Marcin is trying to be conservative with power figures, but its been mentioned that its more of a percentage increase. Logically thinking the larger downpipes should allow for the turbos to maintain boost in the higher RPMs and maybe even spool a bit faster with less resistance on exhaust gas exit. That being said the peak gain of power isn't the only advantage you should see.

I am very interested and this will end up being on my things to do list come spring.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
You are putting way too much thought into this and missing some of the key facts mentioned above. Hopefully my cliff notes will make it easier to understand.

Marcin has machined the fittings necessary to do this in your own garage if you are that type of person. He also mentioned the install to take roughly 1 hour. I'd almost bet there is no cutting or welding and its designed to replace the stock section and reconnect with the proper hardware. This is what makes it attractive when you are concerned about resale and opinions of new buyers. It can be simply reversed if you choose, like other bolt ons. Also its being offered with and without cats. As already mentioned the 200 cell hi-flow cats will have little to no difference in power and sound its for you to determine if you will have issues with your use and with state inspections. Lastly I think Marcin is trying to be conservative with power figures, but its been mentioned that its more of a percentage increase. Logically thinking the larger downpipes should allow for the turbos to maintain boost in the higher RPMs and maybe even spool a bit faster with less resistance on exhaust gas exit. That being said the peak gain of power isn't the only advantage you should see.

I am very interested and this will end up being on my things to do list come spring.

We do try to make all our product reverse able. The benefits are very noticeable especially with mods.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
If the car already has an ECU tune is it necessary to reflash or dyno tune afterwards or will the computer just compensate for the change? I'm not looking to squeeze every last bit of power out of it but I do like to hold the pedal down for a while every so often. I'm just looking to make sure things remain safe.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 PM

CTS-V
I'm more curious about the sound..ie, how much louder? My car already has no mufflers, ONLY stock cats, so going catless would likely be considerably louder. Will I hear more turbo whistle, or drone or....? I would definitely buy the catless ones, as I already have no mufflers. And if it is only an hour job, putting my stock catted DP's back on (for whatever reason) is nothing...I've already dyno'd my car, so I could easily check the delta.
Oh yeah...how much better do the "Speedriven" cats flow than stock?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

Speedriven
I'm more curious about the sound..ie, how much louder? My car already has no mufflers, ONLY stock cats, so going catless would likely be considerably louder. Will I hear more turbo whistle, or drone or....? I would definitely buy the catless ones, as I already have no mufflers. And if it is only an hour job, putting my stock catted DP's back on (for whatever reason) is nothing...I've already dyno'd my car, so I could easily check the delta.
Oh yeah...how much better do the "Speedriven" cats flow than stock?

The sound wont be noticeable all low rpms/cruising, you only here an effect when the car is pushed. The turbo will be louder. There is no drone that we have noticed. The cats are not our's, we do use vibrant high flow cats, which are very efficient and don't limit flow
Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Probably not an awful lot of pics of this out there to reference, so I'll share mine. SL600 exhaust... With no mufflers of course.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ceramic or SS catalyst?
Old 01-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Ceramic or SS catalyst?
100% Stainless Steel construction
Old 01-15-2014, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SpeedRiven SL V12TT, ML320CDI
Just ordered 200 cell downpipes for my SL. Now, long wait for spring to come to install and test the new set

Igor.

Last edited by igor; 01-15-2014 at 06:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Speedriven V12 SS Downpipes/DIY Flanges