SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL Class Folding Hard Top's Days Are Numbered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
SL Class Folding Hard Top's Days Are Numbered

Originally Posted by Jalopnik
The Mercedes SL is a pretty iconic car, but the folding hardtop that's been fitted to the two most recent generations of the roadster has also been a key selling point among other high-priced luxury convertibles. But recent news suggests the days of the SL's retractable hardtop are numbered.P

Autobild reports Mercedes is looking to cut lots of costs with the next-generation SL and SLK roadsters, as sales of these two-seaters have tanked since the recession. So not only are they trying to find more commonality in parts between these cars and other Mercedes models, but they're also concerned about weight and complexity. P

The casualty here is that the next SL will reportedly lose the folding hardtop and go back to an electrically operated fabric roof last seen on the R129 models produced from 1989 until 2002. P

While the folding hardtop roadster has become a Mercedes thing in the last 20 years or so, the packaging of such a big roof and the weight it adds in times of fuel consumption worries apparently makes it impractical even for a big, luxury cruiser like the SL. P

Weirdly, the SLK is advancing that trademark folding hardtop technology as well as trying to be a better rival for the Porsche Boxster.P

Of course, Autobild says a new SLK isn't due until 2020, and the next-gen SL not until 2021. So if you like the idea of a hardtop SL, you have some time to see if they rectify that huge nose of the current car before snagging one.P
Old 04-20-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML 350 4matic
Well I have to disagree with such step because:

1-SL is a luxury expensive GT. Who cares about minor consumption difference at that level?
2-It stands alone against 6 series and R8 being hardtop.
3-My personal opinion: i love and ONLY love hardtops when it comes to convertibles. Better security, better all season car, and no need to drive around with a tent above your head.
4-Mercedes : PLSSSSSSSSSSS leave the SL's hardtop alone. You have already E-class conv soft top, and S Coupe as well as C Coupe are getting soft tops also so let your SL standalone in that.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
"So if you like the idea of a hardtop SL, you have some time to see if they rectify that huge nose of the current car before snagging one."

I have high hopes for change in the year 2016. That ugly bull nose of the SL isn't the only change I am looking for, but it tops the list.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Each year goes by design style gets worse. Looking more and more like something my grandma would drive, especially now with hard top; however now with the aging baby boomers maybe grandmas is where the market is.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Maybe all this ugliness and loss of the hardtop will actually help values.

Look..... I'm aloud to dream, aren't I?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Maybe all this ugliness and loss of the hardtop will actually help values.

Look..... I'm aloud to dream, aren't I?
Was thinking the same thing
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
One way to look at it is this: fabric top means less weight, less weight means better fuel mileage and quicker trap times. Lotus said it best, simplify, then add lightness.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The AutoBild article is just speculation but thinking of MB's soft top models, the only one in the last 20 plus years that I like is the SLS roadster.
It looks like a real roadster. Love that car.

That said, the R230 with a soft top wouldn't only be an inferior car, it would also look like crap. That car looks great with the top down and almost better with the top up. Same with the R231. That models front-end needs some re-work, but the roof is an essential part of making that car more solid than any convertible I have driven, including the 6 series and R8.

Plus living in cold MN, having a glass roof gives me a full 4 season car with an open air feel