SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Vario roof problems, trunk lid will not close

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Mercedes SL55
Vario roof problems, trunk lid will not close

All,

I have a huge problem and I could use some help. I have been neglecting a leak in one of the cylinders in the roof itself and have made it work by topping off the fluid. Well the last time I took the top down (opened) I believe I ran out of fluid.

Now the top is stored away and the trunk lid is down about 90% and stuck in that position. On the screen it shows "in operation!" Now no matter if I try to close or open I hear the pump run but no movement of trunk lid. I tried to place pressure on it and it will not close or open.

Worst part is that my SDS is inside the trunk!!!

At this point I have also looked at the flaps and confirmed that the mechanical side of limit switches are working. I have also tried raising the crash/roll bar and that does not work either.

Do I have any options in releasing the mechanism out of the lock state?

If I could get into the trunk then everything else has been documented before and I can pull vacuum, isolate leak and repair etc

Thank you in advance for all of the help
Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Mercedes SL55
Bump for any help at this time the trunk lid will not close as in cluster states "in operation!" And I can't open trunk lid.