SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ESP Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
ESP Issues

I recently had the esp light come on. Mostly it was a non-event but I took it into my indy. The codes said it was one particular sensor so they replaced it. Code came back on so they replaced it with another new one. Same thing.

Today they replaced the ECU in the hope it was that. No dice, same code was displayed. When they looked at the wiring diagram there are 4 wires. The was they explained it to me was that these wires go from 4 sensors (Forward/Back and Side/Side) and plug directly into the ECU. No junction box at all. So tomorrow, it looks like they will start trying to test the wiring between each sensor and the ECU.

They're such a great outfit and I couldn't be happier with their methodology. I was just wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen and what their end result was?

TIA
Old 07-25-2014, 04:42 PM

So, looks like I have a problem still. I'm told the car is in pieces so it will stay in the workshop for the weekend.

Quick question to the electrical guys, could the new stereo cause any kind of interference with the ESP?
Old 07-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by RoundTheBenz
The codes said it was one particular sensor so they replaced it.
I don't know the codes they found, but I am confident they did not dictate that the sensor should be replaced. If the codes were reported by Star Diagnosis the software would likely prescribe tests of power to the sensor, the wiring to the sensor, and the sensor itself. If this shop replaced a sensor solely on the basis of a code and they have charged you, perhaps you should take your car to another shop.

Originally Posted by RoundTheBenz
...could the new stereo cause any kind of interference with the ESP?
Without knowledge of precisely how your new stereo is wired it is impossible to answer this question with any certainty, but I would say it is highly unlikely.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:59 AM

They changed the part but put the old one back on. They didn't charge me. I've been going to this place for over 10 years so I have some history with them and I do trust them.