SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC malfunction on my 2009 SL63, prepare me for what lies ahead.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
ABC malfunction on my 2009 SL63, prepare me for what lies ahead.

My 2009 SL63 has approximately 38,000 miles on it and I have lowering links installed. Late on Saturday night on my way home I got an "ABC malfunction" message that was illuminated in white on the dash. I was only about three miles from home so I continued to drive to my destination. Once I got home and looked at the car, I noticed that it looked like a monster truck with the suspension fully raised about a foot in the air equally on all four corners.

I let the car sit overnight in that position and went to inspect it the next morning. I checked all four wheel wells and struts, under the hood, and under the car for leaks. There were zero leaking fluids and the reservoir was filled perfectly to the cold line on the dipstick. I started the car and cycled through the height settings hoping it would level out. The error message was gone/cleared but now the passenger side was sunk in and the tires were basically touching the fenders and the driver's side front tire was still jacked up about a foot in the air.

Just for the heck of it, I tried to charge the consumer battery since I read it can sometimes cause electrical errors if it's going bad. It was indeed a little low but after charging it to full capacity, the suspension remained the same. Whenever the suspension height button is pressed it does raise the suspension on one side of the vehicle a little bit but not a lot.

I'm not sure what else to try so I have the car scheduled to be towed to the dealership this afternoon. Is there anything else I can look for or try at home to diagnose the problem myself? Should I prepare myself for a $5k bill? I've never heard of any ABC problems in 09+ models on the forum.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55 AMG, Range Rover Evoque
This has certainly piqued my interested. Waiting for feedback from SL55 owners, following installation and road tests : http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-08-Merced...1ce4a8&vxp=mtr

This is the web site for above coil-over kit with sway bars and power steering pump : http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/

It appears, following installation, that you only need a Mercedes scanner to remove the ABC option out of the car's computer.

Cost for full kit is $2,500 plus $1,500 installation (also a refundable $1,500 core charge for old parts).
Attached Thumbnails ABC malfunction on my 2009 SL63, prepare me for what lies ahead.-kit.jpg  

Last edited by Geo3; 09-02-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: image addition
Old 09-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E63 AMG / W124 E500 / Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 / Lotus Elise 111s MK1
Originally Posted by Geo3
This has certainly piqued my interested. Waiting for feedback from SL55 owners, following installation and road tests : http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-08-Merced...1ce4a8&vxp=mtr

This is the web site for above coil-over kit with sway bars and power steering pump : http://www.rebuildmastertech.com/

It appears, following installation, that you only need a Mercedes scanner to remove the ABC option out of the car's computer.

Cost for full kit is $2,500 plus $1,500 installation (also a refundable $1,500 core charge for old parts).
You seem to be very keen on this coilover conversion kit, but I don't see how this would help in this case ? We don't know yet if his struts are dead.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:20 PM

Z_de_Suisse, you're spot on.

Just trying to draw attention to ABC alternatives and desperate to see how a conversion works out afterwards (ride height, drivability, damping rate, cornering ability, etc.).

So far I have 65,000 km on my 2003 SL55 AMG, having owned it for 5.5 years and have a full dealer service history. At no time in its life, has it had any ABC issue whatsoever (I do a regular ABC flush and filter change).

However, having been acquainted with all these and other forum posts with countless ABC malfunctions, I know it is only time before I have an ABC problem.

I want to keep my car, but if I can't find a reliable and less-costly ABC alternative, I will be parting company with this otherwise fantastic car........

Kind regards........Geo.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
The system is warrantied for 10 years thru benz
Old 09-02-2014, 04:59 PM

SL55
Thanks for the replies guys. At this time, I would prefer to keep the ABC system intact but will keep the coilover system in mind.

I just had the car taken to a local dealer via a flatbed about an hour ago. They will take a look at and diagnose it tomorrow, I won't sleep well tonight.

Speedriven1: Are you saying the ABC system is under a factory warranty for 10 years? Where are you getting this information from? All I'm seeing is a 4 year / 50,000 miles regular warranty.

Last edited by FastAMG; 09-02-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Always try unplugging the battery for ten minutes when your car acts funny or throws a code. Simple easy check...it has worked for me on several occasions with the random weird code.
Probably will come back,but worth a try
Old 09-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Originally Posted by FastAMG
Thanks for the replies guys. At this time, I would prefer to keep the ABC system intact but will keep the coilover system in mind.

I just had the car taken to a local dealer via a flatbed about an hour ago. They will take a look at and diagnose it tomorrow, I won't sleep well tonight.

Speedriven1: Are you saying the ABC system is under a factory warranty for 10 years? Where are you getting this information from? All I'm seeing is a 4 year / 50,000 miles regular warranty.

Sorry got mistaken with sbc system. You are correct abc is 4 years
Old 09-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
SL500, Miata
Originally Posted by FastAMG
The error message was gone/cleared but now the passenger side was sunk in and the tires were basically touching the fenders and the driver's side front tire was still jacked up about a foot in the air.
Because the system is unable to correct the level and reports no errors, I would suspect a faulty ABC control module. A new one is only about $500.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 (MY05) SL55
FastAMG did you check that all 4 of the lowering links were still attached correctly?

I had a situation the other day where after some spirited driving on a twisty road the white ABC Visit Workshop message came up on the dash.

I was close to home so proceeded with caution. On checking around the car I noticed that the drivers side front was lower than the passenger side, not a lot lower, but it was noticeable (there was still clearance between the fender and the tyre).

Turns out the top socket of the lowering link had popped off the ball and was hanging loose, luckily it was still attached at the bottom.

Popped it back on and now all is good, except now I'm nervous that next time it will come off completely and get lost. I've put the original OEM links in my boot just in case I need to perform emergency roadside surgery.

Anybody else have their aftermarket links come off?
The following users liked this post:
Tommyboy928 (11-05-2021)
Old 09-03-2014, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E63 AMG / W124 E500 / Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 / Lotus Elise 111s MK1
Originally Posted by Geo3
Z_de_Suisse, you're spot on.

Just trying to draw attention to ABC alternatives and desperate to see how a conversion works out afterwards (ride height, drivability, damping rate, cornering ability, etc.).
Same here

That's why I'm following the subject. The workshop I talked about in the other topic (www.suspensions-sport.com) is preparing a replacement kit for ABC systems. I proposed him to use my car for the testing of the solution ... let's see what happens.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Z_de_Suisse
Same here

That's why I'm following the subject. The workshop I talked about in the other topic (www.suspensions-sport.com) is preparing a replacement kit for ABC systems. I proposed him to use my car for the testing of the solution ... let's see what happens.
I'm looking forward to hearing of your results. I wish you all success and I will be following your adventure.........Geo.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:31 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by Nosmo SL55
FastAMG did you check that all 4 of the lowering links were still attached correctly?

I had a situation the other day where after some spirited driving on a twisty road the white ABC Visit Workshop message came up on the dash.

I was close to home so proceeded with caution. On checking around the car I noticed that the drivers side front was lower than the passenger side, not a lot lower, but it was noticeable (there was still clearance between the fender and the tyre).

Turns out the top socket of the lowering link had popped off the ball and was hanging loose, luckily it was still attached at the bottom.

Popped it back on and now all is good, except now I'm nervous that next time it will come off completely and get lost. I've put the original OEM links in my boot just in case I need to perform emergency roadside surgery.

Anybody else have their aftermarket links come off?

You were 100% correct my friend! I definitely dodged a bullet here, lol.

What kind/brand of lowering links are you using? I am using the links in the eBay link below from Advance Performance or APtires. I will be throwing them in the garbage and having a set from Adjustable Air Ride sent via overnight to me.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
first problem, its PEAKED Geo3
Next; the adjustable air ride links are pretty, they are cast and shaped smoothly and engineered well. They have one threaded rod and ball on one end.
Other links that I have seen are threaded rod with end ball and socket ends on both ends of the rod.
Factory are one length metal not meant to be adjusted.
Both the aftermarket ones are meant to be adjusted by the cars owner and are not fool proof by any means . They can be miss installed and may come apart etc. You have to be careful when you do any mechanical work on your car and not make a mistake that will damage your car.
The first thing I thought of when I read the complaint was to look at the links and see if they were normal. That was the answer in this case.
Also you could put them back togather correctly, and the car will be fine. Ive had sets on 3 different cars over 5 to 6 yrs and never any problem. The links are under no strain and do a simple job and dont have to be of much an extreme quality to work.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by okbarnett
first problem, its PEAKED Geo3

I assume you feel that I used an erroneous spelling. I used "piqued" and it was used and spelled correctly i.e.

piqued = stimulated
peaked = having a peak or reached a highest point

Last edited by Geo3; 09-05-2014 at 01:24 PM.