SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: f/s Misha Widebody Heavily modded SL55

Old 11-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
The base car is worth a little over 20k and you probably paid 25k when you got it. You have around 30k in mods and labour so 55k invested. So your asking price is what you should get however the modified car sales dont work like that. A good price for both sides is around 35k-37,500(current value of base and half the mods) i love the car and I hope someone does see the value in your work.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl55 amg
Originally Posted by F1BHP
The base car is worth a little over 20k and you probably paid 25k when you got it. You have around 30k in mods and labour so 55k invested. So your asking price is what you should get however the modified car sales dont work like that. A good price for both sides is around 35k-37,500(current value of base and half the mods) i love the car and I hope someone does see the value in your work.
i will be honest, you have no idea what you are talking about and your assumptions about what i paid or labor costs are so off base it is stupid.
$30k in mods and labor you say? $12k for kit and parts to install, adv1 05.1 wheels and toyo tires $8k, pulley and tune by itself $2k, long tube headers $2500, and the mound of other parts purchased. so that leaves about $1000 for labor to make a very hard fitting body kit fit to perfection, and do a full disassemble for paint, and all the motor modifications too and custom exhaust. my time is worth money and when you count up the 700 hours at even an impossibly low $50 an hour, that is $35,000 labor alone!

i have had a few like yourself TELL me they could build the car for cheaper. i say go for it, but once you are half into it and see the actual cost and time, you would be too far deep to just buy mine. sure, buy an ebay knock off kit for $4k and some cheap wheels and keep motor stock you MIGHT be able to, but it will be nothing like this car.
btw- i paid $30k for the car originally. sometimes it is easier to ask someone questions about what they paid or did, rather than assume you know what you are talking about.

this again is not an opinion thread, this is my for sale thread. if you have any first hand experience with viewing the car or chatting to me about it and know factual info, please join in. for those that don't, keep your personal opinions out of it as i would to your for sale threads.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 PM

sl600
I thought that would be your reaction. So you over paid and over spent. Well done. Let me know when you get that 50k.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
my reaction was one to correct you putting incorrect info about my car in my for sale thread. you obviously have not had much custom work done to a car if none of the figures above make sense and you simply can't add when it comes to the extensive mods i have listed out. please build your own then since you have an obvious interest in the looks of mine. but to have mine, you will have to pay $49,500.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
F1- I'm not sure if you're new to car forums in general or just new to this forum, but it's generally accepted etiquette to stay out of someone's sale thread unless you're a prospective buyer, or have something positive to say about it.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
thanks boost.

this is a for sale thread, not a general thread for personal opinions, especially when incorrect info is being said.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:14 PM

sl600
I am relatively new and was not actually aware that you could have a for sale thread. I thought the forum was for discussion. No problem, I was stating my opinion and admit I under estimated his build cost however my value number remains. I will stay away in future as I have my own escalating build to deal with and joined the forums to gain knowledge not to buy cars.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Photoshop those pics white or black and see if you get more response. Then at least you would know.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
why would i do that? i don't know how to make myself any more clear, THE CAR IS STAYING BLUE. it is perfect now and it is the most complimented part of the car from people in person. i could give a **** less if a handful of you would like to see it in black (and then still not buy it, haha) or whatever other color YOU would choose to build the car with.

hopefully a mod can clean up some of the bs in this thread. i have never been part of a forum before when so many people who could never produce a car like this impose their opinions (and insist they should be listened to) to the guy building it. in my opinion, this is the best looking widebody sl that has been made. i'm sure not all will agree, but i certainly am not in the minority based on crowds at car shows, the blow up it does on instagram whenever someone posts a pic there, the pics that get taken for others advertising, and the amount of people shaking my hand and wanting to chat my ear off about it or the kids driving by taking video and pics of it. i have seen interest in this car from 9 yr old, to 90 year old. try to find another car that does that. the main reason, the COLOR. thats why it is staying and the reason i have no interest to know what it looks like in another color, it WILL look like all the rest!

not singling you out here aeroman, it has been going on long before and for me, has made this forum less enjoyable. i have helped countless people with their projects through phone, emails, pm's, and the threads i have started here with tons of diy stuff and consider myself a good contributor to the hobby and the site.

Last edited by overZealous1; 11-13-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:38 AM

1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
No worries man. Good luck with your sale.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
I've always sold my vehicles on AutoTrader and have had a 100% sell rate through it. Have you tried that? Good luck with the sale. It is for sure one of the prettiest cars I've seen and it's damn hard to believe that its a 2003. Wow!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by RoundTheBenz
I've always sold my vehicles on AutoTrader and have had a 100% sell rate through it. Have you tried that? Good luck with the sale. It is for sure one of the prettiest cars I've seen and it's damn hard to believe that its a 2003. Wow!

I have not tried it. I do have a serious buyer and hoping he can pull funds together in the next couple days. if that doesn't happen, I will put it on autotrader. thanks for the compliments and input.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 E 450 4 matic wagon, cadilliac CTS AWD performance ,2018 VW Tiguan SUV 2006 CLS55 030pkg modded
Ha ,man I viewed your thread on this car before you did wide body kit and it was really nice than in silver and the kit is really nice too and I hope u sell it soon . It's Not worth the money changing any color to sell car . Somebody will buy this "BAD BOY" as is
Old 11-13-2014, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by overZealous1
why would i do that? i don't know how to make myself any more clear, THE CAR IS STAYING BLUE. it is perfect now and it is the most complimented part of the car from people in person. i could give a **** less if a handful of you would like to see it in black (and then still not buy it, haha) or whatever other color YOU would choose to build the car with.

hopefully a mod can clean up some of the bs in this thread. i have never been part of a forum before when so many people who could never produce a car like this impose their opinions (and insist they should be listened to) to the guy building it. in my opinion, this is the best looking widebody sl that has been made. i'm sure not all will agree, but i certainly am not in the minority based on crowds at car shows, the blow up it does on instagram whenever someone posts a pic there, the pics that get taken for others advertising, and the amount of people shaking my hand and wanting to chat my ear off about it or the kids driving by taking video and pics of it. i have seen interest in this car from 9 yr old, to 90 year old. try to find another car that does that. the main reason, the COLOR. thats why it is staying and the reason i have no interest to know what it looks like in another color, it WILL look like all the rest!

not singling you out here aeroman, it has been going on long before and for me, has made this forum less enjoyable. i have helped countless people with their projects through phone, emails, pm's, and the threads i have started here with tons of diy stuff and consider myself a good contributor to the hobby and the site.
I hope you haven't lumped my comments into this post? I truly was just trying to give you my. 02 on why it hasn't sold in nearing a year?? And tried giving you ideas to sell ASAP.. PS the light blue has little to do w/the mass attention, same thing happens in my gloss black widebody.. Being swarmed at gas stations, vid phns out windows etc it's like draggn' a dollar bill thru a trailor park, in the attention it garners.. Tho I'm cert yours is more shock effect as the colors so different..

The comments I get are more along the lines of "That is the most wicked/evil/badazz benz I've ever seen!" lol it gets embarrassing to be honest.. Actually wish I would've bought the SPV6 kit it's closest thing to real Black Series.. Priors front fenders if viewed front or any direct comparo angle are 2"-3" narrower per side and very anemic.. Misha nailed the width but added too much fluff etc.. Anyhow good luck!

Last edited by Thericker; 11-13-2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Plus it's a pretty radical kit as appears from the photos anyway, which takes even a more unique buyer. The more radical and custom you get, the longer you have to wait for that special buyer (that has cash). I had a beautiful custom blue 53 Chevy with tons into it, and it took about a year before this older couple came along and it was "exactly" what they wanted. But up until then, just tire kickers. If you do get it into so cal I would like to see it in person. I am trying to hold out for an Ithaca green Murci, but those get up there in price.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:20 PM

SL65
@overzealous.

I was a very close buyer for his car. I studied his pic in details, and also other websites that he has info on. I also talked to other members here. His reputation is that of a FANATIC; he did not cut any corners. I have a 2006 SL65, and we were trying to work out a deal to possibly swap cars...I came very close. Very close. In the end I did my conversion.

If you study his posts, you will see the meticulous attention to detail. While the color options that sean (thericker) mentioned, I believe are correct...that in no way allows someone to offer and/or assume what you said about his "worth". Someone who truly loves the r230 would be truly in a prime position to acquire that car. I believe that modifications using cheaper parts and cutting corners to keep within budget is the main reason for the "bad rep" mods get. When you have someone who portrays his passions with no regards to a checkbook, jump on it. It doesn't happen to often.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by overZealous1
I have not tried it. I do have a serious buyer and hoping he can pull funds together in the next couple days. if that doesn't happen, I will put it on autotrader. thanks for the compliments and input.
I said the same thing on page 1 here (3) days ago.. But you've gotten far too sensitive to members commenting on your color choice (even when just trying to help you sell the car faster) anyhow cool down & try Autotrader..

Originally Posted by Thericker
WTF? Sorry buddy knew you were dying to start new project... IDK if you've already listed it on Autotrader? But every car I've modded to hell or left stock, has always sold on Autotrader, it covers entire web & every 7-11 mini-mart etc in those paperback Autotrader FREE to public adds.. Never taken more than 5-6 mo.. But hate to say it, your color choice beautiful to a lot of us enthusiasts & bodywork executed to perfection wont matter.. Exterior color is a VERY personal choice, and sky blue is love/hate sorta color on an MB.. INMOP suited to Pcar/Gallardo etc..

If dying to sell? You have the skillset, vinyl wrap it Matte-Pearl white & I bet you sell it 6 wks or less at your $49k good luck & hope this helps? If not? Keep it & drive that purdy bit-ch till the wheels fall off
Old 11-14-2014, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,000 Likes on 807 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Amazing work and stunning car. Like the other said and IMHO, wrong color for a Benz. Even with the color, if it were on a V12 bi - turbo it would have sold very quickly. In the end, I hope you find a buyer. This car is perfect for someone and again the work looks amazing.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
thanks for the compliments, I am very **** and unfortunately with where I am located, it would take a pretty committed buyer to fly out and inspect for themselves.
I am updating the op here (and my other ads) in a few minutes with actual parts cost and time into car. that will take some of the time out of others trying to add up themselves.

the only reason car it appears the car has not sold is the fact I have been too nice allowing people time to come up with the money to buy it. when I first put it up, it was sold for $63,500 (there is only 400 miles on car since then, zero damage) I was in no hurry to sell so I gave the guy 4 months to come up with money! well I had finally waited long enough, but it put me into winter trying to sell a convertible. I have had countless trade offers, but nothing catching my eye. that was summer 2013. I stopped listing until summer 2014.
now we get to summer 2014 and I drop price according to value of stock car to $59,000. again, tons of trade offers, and then a committed buyer. give him a couple months to gather money only to find out he can't pull it together. it keeps happening and it appears from the outlook that nobody is interested and the car is not worth the price. pisses me off.
now, I finally get tired of it and drop price to $50,000 (still in exact same condition as it sold for at $63,500) for a quick sale. now in that price range I am getting people that could maybe afford it, but since price is lowered drastically, and still on market, it opens up to some of the comments above. right now I have a committed buyer, but it seems he is waiting on a bulk chunk of money to purchase. so hopefully I don't fall into the same cycle as before. and yes, now it is winter again, ugh.

I agree 1000% it will take the right buyer based on the color. I am fine with that. I am not changing my vision of the car as I feel it is perfect. MANY others do also. I think my big problem is my location. I know my buyer will be nowhere close to me, and the saddest part of all is that not one perspective buyer has seen the car with their own eyes!! that in my opinion is all that it would take. it made me sick to my stomache deciding to sell originally, and those that followed or took the time to read the linked build thread will understand what went into this build.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by Thericker
I hope you haven't lumped my comments into this post? I truly was just trying to give you my. 02 on why it hasn't sold in nearing a year?? And tried giving you ideas to sell ASAP.. PS the light blue has little to do w/the mass attention, same thing happens in my gloss black widebody.. Being swarmed at gas stations, vid phns out windows etc it's like draggn' a dollar bill thru a trailor park, in the attention it garners.. Tho I'm cert yours is more shock effect as the colors so different..

The comments I get are more along the lines of "That is the most wicked/evil/badazz benz I've ever seen!" lol it gets embarrassing to be honest.. Actually wish I would've bought the SPV6 kit it's closest thing to real Black Series.. Priors front fenders if viewed front or any direct comparo angle are 2"-3" narrower per side and very anemic.. Misha nailed the width but added too much fluff etc.. Anyhow good luck!

ya, that's why I modded the misha kit to tone it down. another reason for color choice also, you tend to focus on that instead of all the angles.
going to put on autotrader this weekend.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 E-55 AMG
Awesome build. I read through your build thread and a blown away by the passion you have for modding vehicles. The paint looks as if it is a liquid rather than a solid. I wish I could buy it, but it's not in the cards for me.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
Originally Posted by wasp01amg
Awesome build. I read through your build thread and a blown away by the passion you have for modding vehicles. The paint looks as if it is a liquid rather than a solid. I wish I could buy it, but it's not in the cards for me.

thanks. I have always wondered if it was passion or a curse, haha. either way I am pretty sure I have a touch of ocd!

my first boss also taught me a great saying that has carried with me many years now, and that is "if you don't have time to do it right, how will you ever have time to do it over". I treat the building of cars and my construction business in that way.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sl55 amg
after a talk with a dealer friend of mine, he gave me a great tip that will help immensely in financing of the car with enough down. since posting actual investment and time numbers, interest has gone up considerably. lets see who is first with money!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Did the car sell?
Old 12-24-2014, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 2005
Unbelievable great color combo and great build!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: f/s Misha Widebody Heavily modded SL55