SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6215139
Old 11-20-2014, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Thanks for setting this up Shardul !

I ordered one for my SL55 yesterday and it arrived today!
Packed well (beyond reasonable expectations) and arrived in great shape.

Certainly robust, it looks like it is up to the task of cooling AND supporting the factory oil cooler.

Weighing just under 11 lbs and looking like it will fit nicely, I am pleased with the price and the Sellers ability to answer questions quickly and relatively concisely.

I hope to install it in 2 weeks or so and will try to remember to post a pic

Thanks again Shardul!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
thank you sir!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Well,
I finished installing the PLM heat exchanger (thanks again Shardul for setting up the great price for us), so I thought I'd share a few pics and impressions.

Nice part, nice price
however, NOT at all bolt in for this application.

It ended up suiting me fine, but I needed to use the TIG and the MIG and numerous nut-serts. The Core size is great (can't imagine fitting in anything larger WHILE being able to keep the oil cooler in the stock location AND retain the factory air-guides.

The welded on ears are likely well suited for direct bolt on for an E55 (I would hope so at least), but for the SL55 they line up with nothing and needed to be trimmed/welded ... AND having nothing to bolt the ears to ... I had to add 4 m6x1.0 nutserts into the bumper (luckily, I have the tool and inserts in my shop).

While nearly robust to the point of being porky, the unit was sturdy enough (as designed) to support the oil-cooler (another thing I liked about it), It came with some little aluminum brackets (presumably to attach the cooler to the exchanger in an e55) but they were useless for the SL55 so I shortened/re-angled the factory oil cooler brackets.
I have seen other installs of various H.E.s where the oil cooler is re-positioned so that it is behind the heat exchanger (that is just wrong ... that heat is supposed to go through the openings in the belly pan ... not through the stock heat exchanger, radiator, etc)

There was also some repositioning (mild bending, etc) of the ABC cooling lines and oil cooling lines required.

I was really pleased that I was able to retain the air compartment seals (air-guides) and reinstall all of the original hardware (the bumper-to-radiator-tray stays took a little tweaking but they fit : )

One thing I added (that I always add with an add-on HE) is an air-bleed tube ... this makes getting the air-out so easy.

I also split the cooling and added a reservoir (that bolted nicely to Shardul's BWK bar).

Here are a few pics. I have many more if anyone is interested and I'd be happy to go into greater detail about modding the H.E. mounts, etc ..... although I can't say I would recommend this paring to any but the advanced and/or crazy modder.

Again Shardul, thanks for setting up this deal; I know a lot of the E55 guys loved it.

P.s. In the pic showing the reservoir bolted to Shardul's BWK-bar, you can see the AMG55 Scatter shield I finished up at the same time as the Heat Exchanger, here is a little more info on that https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...er-pulley.html

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy-20150121_165553.jpg   SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy-scatter-shield.jpg   SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy-20150119_150053.jpg   SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy-20150120_164534.jpg   SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy-20150117_132209.jpg  

SL55 Heat Exchanger Group Buy-20150118_114734.jpg  
Old 01-24-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
Nice clean install, it's hard to find a heat exchanger that's a direct bolt on for a SL55.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 sl55 amg
Plm heat exchanger

Originally Posted by latemodel21
Well,
I finished installing the PLM heat exchanger (thanks again Shardul for setting up the great price for us), so I thought I'd share a few pics and impressions.

Nice part, nice price
however, NOT at all bolt in for this application.

It ended up suiting me fine, but I needed to use the TIG and the MIG and numerous nut-serts. The Core size is great (can't imagine fitting in anything larger WHILE being able to keep the oil cooler in the stock location AND retain the factory air-guides.

The welded on ears are likely well suited for direct bolt on for an E55 (I would hope so at least), but for the SL55 they line up with nothing and needed to be trimmed/welded ... AND having nothing to bolt the ears to ... I had to add 4 m6x1.0 nutserts into the bumper (luckily, I have the tool and inserts in my shop).

While nearly robust to the point of being porky, the unit was sturdy enough (as designed) to support the oil-cooler (another thing I liked about it), It came with some little aluminum brackets (presumably to attach the cooler to the exchanger in an e55) but they were useless for the SL55 so I shortened/re-angled the factory oil cooler brackets.
I have seen other installs of various H.E.s where the oil cooler is re-positioned so that it is behind the heat exchanger (that is just wrong ... that heat is supposed to go through the openings in the belly pan ... not through the stock heat exchanger, radiator, etc)

There was also some repositioning (mild bending, etc) of the ABC cooling lines and oil cooling lines required.

I was really pleased that I was able to retain the air compartment seals (air-guides) and reinstall all of the original hardware (the bumper-to-radiator-tray stays took a little tweaking but they fit : )

One thing I added (that I always add with an add-on HE) is an air-bleed tube ... this makes getting the air-out so easy.

I also split the cooling and added a reservoir (that bolted nicely to Shardul's BWK bar).

Here are a few pics. I have many more if anyone is interested and I'd be happy to go into greater detail about modding the H.E. mounts, etc ..... although I can't say I would recommend this paring to any but the advanced and/or crazy modder.

Again Shardul, thanks for setting up this deal; I know a lot of the E55 guys loved it.

P.s. In the pic showing the reservoir bolted to Shardul's BWK-bar, you can see the AMG55 Scatter shield I finished up at the same time as the Heat Exchanger, here is a little more info on that https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...er-pulley.html

Cheers,
Chris
Any finished product pics I'm trying to do the same thing but the measurements don't add up 6" air dam with 6" plm he and 3" oil cooler if I do this air will be completely blocked by the bumper cover
Old 07-18-2019, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Talon1381
Any finished product pics I'm trying to do the same thing but the measurements don't add up 6" air dam with 6" plm he and 3" oil cooler if I do this air will be completely blocked by the bumper cover
I will look ...
Old 07-18-2019, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by Talon1381

I did not take any pics at the time (of the blockage, if any, presented by the bumper cover) as it did not seem to be an issue. I will see if I can snap a couple sometime soon (looking through the lower grille).

these next pics might prove helpful as they show the final relationship of the HE to the oil cooler and the modification I did to the under-cover to keep the air-flow through the oil cooler as high as practical.

oil cooler bracket finished and installed with cooler

before modding

after modding