SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work

Old 11-29-2014, 04:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by V12TTenthusiast
Yeah coolers, intake, billet turbos, ecu/tcu, exhaust in his own thread he stated no trunk tank. Also whats your point I stated in my thread that my shop fabbing up custom top mount intercoolers with the help of World Motorsports that will provide the specs for the top mount intercoolers they did on there CL65 as well as I stated front mount CAI once engine is back and car goes to body shop for kit so I can do a proper CAI.

That's pretty much gonna be the same build as Zax's except with head work. But he clearly posted 680-690 whp on his build
Funny a few min ago you OVERLY confidently posted Zax ONLY had these mods to make 679 whp
Originally Posted by*V12TTenthusiast*

He just said 679.64/879 lbs ft both at the wheel....*

I messaged him a few weeks if he had more dynos of his build which consist of downpipes/intakes/ecu/tcu/HE/transmission and no trunk tank
Now you act like you knew he had entire Speedriven pkg.. Guy he posted 679whp not 690 get over it.. go build your NASA rocket & have a great wknd

Last edited by Thericker; 11-29-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL600
Originally Posted by Thericker
Wrong, they bumped rev limiter up to 5700 rpm's on the Black. Actually has bigger turbs etc etc.... NO the stksmanifolds are sand cast 1 piece attchd to actual turbs.. they'll split/crumble to bits if porting attempted, the overall size of stk mani's is beyond pathetic to move enough airflow for true700-800 whp.. A tuner in Dubai attempted cutting off small oem turbs, replacing w/larger turbs, reattaching them to stk manifolds, & the new massive airflow backfired into the manifolds/engine creating near catastrophic failure..

Gotta laugh at this thread... V12ttenthusiasts acts like he's reinventing the wheel here.. The CAI he had made is worse than oem in many ways, he utilized SS tubing @ least 3/4 of it is showing in route to stk turb inlets,that just retains/creates higher IAT's those tubes sit inches from the broiling heads & manifolds, then the airfilters are exposed.. They will lose mass hp/tq once hood is shut... & his thoughts on why oem boxes are woefully inadequate have been painfully detailed by dozens of us dozens of times over the past 5-6 yrs... etc Sorry to be curt here, but V12ttEnthusiats, theories/thoughts on FINALLY moving these m275's into 800+whp range while retaining stock turbs/mani's etc is beyond remedial..

Im here to make friends, buttt
I guess you missed "massaged turbos",ill be more aware we have comprehension impared readers. lso its 100% possible to seperate the manifold in 3 pieces, take the clamp off of the 2 flex pipes and the log portion would be accessible. Im aware the turbine housing is cast into the middle section of the turbo manifold, like GTRs and countless Audis etc. The list of differences would be to extensive to list so I I didnt waste my breath. Seems I was called out by the all mighty lol.

My point was a BS still falls off in power after 5, 500rpm regardless of the changes.
Making consistant power to redline would be/is my first point of business, but thats for my build thread to come.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by r_martin126
Im here to make friends, buttt
I guess you missed "massaged turbos",ill be more aware we have comprehension impared readers. lso its 100% possible to seperate the manifold in 3 pieces, take the clamp off of the 2 flex pipes and the log portion would be accessible. Im aware the turbine housing is cast into the middle section of the turbo manifold, like GTRs and countless Audis etc. The list of differences would be to extensive to list so I I didnt waste my breath. Seems I was called out by the all mighty lol.

My point was a BS still falls off in power after 5, 500rpm regardless of the changes.
Making consistant power to redline would be/is my first point of business, but thats for my build thread to come.
Sorry my retort to you was not meant to be condescending/rude just frustrated trying to actually help V12ttenthusiast, tho he's a newbie filled w/hp promises that aren't least bit realistic.. I'm over it
Old 11-29-2014, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
You guys are nuts!!!! Let him build his car and then we will see what he actually gets. It seems like you guys forgot how to look at naked ladies on your computer...There is alot more out there on this here internet.LOL Anyway, almost all builds take previous success and try to tweak a little more out of it. Fabricators have their own approach as do tuners, so who knows what the variations will produce. Hopefully we will have trap speeds to compare since all the dyno talk back and forth becomes meaningless and discredited. Good luck with the remainder of the build.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Race Horse said it right. Great thread from V12Enthusiast, let him make the build and share it here with us.Good Luck!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
Thericker you say you are trying to help but you are just dampening the enthusiasm of a fellow members build. Let's see what the outcome is then we can comment on the results. Good luck to all.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
You guys are nuts!!!! Let him build his car and then we will see what he actually gets. It seems like you guys forgot how to look at naked ladies on your computer...There is alot more out there on this here internet.LOL Anyway, almost all builds take previous success and try to tweak a little more out of it. Fabricators have their own approach as do tuners, so who knows what the variations will produce. Hopefully we will have trap speeds to compare since all the dyno talk back and forth becomes meaningless and discredited. Good luck with the remainder of the build.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:50 PM

04 SL600
Gotta love the voice of reason. This is an awesome build and I want to commend the OP for giving the extra effort to even make this thread, really looking forward to the results.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 292 Likes on 241 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
keep the pics of the build coming!!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by F1BHP
Thericker you say you are trying to help but you are just dampening the enthusiasm of a fellow members build. Let's see what the outcome is then we can comment on the results. Good luck to all.
Bro... You're misunderstanding me, I've been on this site for over a decade, & seen too many kats get misled w/huge hp promises & ultimate builds & taken for a literal ride w/their Checkbook that is, or/and either never have the build come to fruition, and loose boatload of $$, or if finished make no where near the promised/projected hp/tq gains... As I quoted earlier.. If world renowned Brabus can only muster 730-750 BHP w/10X the mods fabb'd & installed by the TOP industry leader in MB aftermarket perf upgrades w/ technological expertise in concert w/AMG themselves.. How is V12ttEnthusist going to rewrite the book on making 800+ whp w/his mod plans? Look again @ what Brabus did to achieve 730 BHP.. I'm honestly trying to help him, focus on proven economically viable Big Turbos/manifolds to achieve or even surpass his goals..

730 hp / 537 kW of power, 1,320 Nm of top and a top speed of 340 km/h: With the BRABUS SV12 S Biturbo coupe based on the latest Mercedes CL 600 model BRABUS*presents the world’s fastest and most powerful coupe.

At the heart of this exclusive automobile is the BRABUS SV12 S Biturbo engine. It is based on the turbocharged Mercedes 600 twelve-cylinder engine and represents the most powerful street-legal V12 engine in the world. Installing a special BRABUS crankshaft with longer stroke, combined with a bigger bore and correspondingly sized forged pistons, increases displacement from 5.5 to 6.3 liters. Further engine modifications also include precision-machining the cylinder heads and fitting them with four special camshafts.

In addition the engine peripherals are also modified extensively. The modifications include special exhaust manifolds, two larger turbochargers, a high-efficiency intercooler and a high-performance exhaust system with metal catalysts and low back pressure. Extensive bench tests determined the new programming for the engine electronics that not only maximizes power yield but also ensures that the engine meets stringent Euro IV emission limits.

Performance figures of the BRABUS SV12 S Biturbo displacement engine speak volumes: A rated power output of 730 hp / 537 kW at 5,100 rpm is just as extraordinary as a peak torque of 1,320 Nm at just 2,100 rpm. In the car peak torque is limited electronically to 1,100 Nm.

Power is transferred to the rear wheels via a modified five-speed automatic transmission. The optionally available BRABUS locking differential optimizes traction. All BRABUS drivetrain elements are operated with ARAL high-performance lubricants.

Now w/all the extra ultra professional work listed here from Brabus, they made a smoking 730 BHP no way on Gods green earth is V12TTenthusiasts mod list going to even see an HONEST 700 whp.. Maybe on Q16 w/his mod plan but that's it.. These are NOT giant CID high revving engines, they don't respond to these mods the same way...
Speedriven ran race gas at 23-24 psi? (I could be off by a psi) on much much larger manifolds/turbs 830-850 whp was end result.. he's currently looking to the bigger GT35's to hit the magic 1000 whp...*

End of point... you want 800+ whp on a V12tt add real shorty style mani's & some gt30-35 turbs*NOT trying to put anyone down, just trying to help him really reach his goal vs being nickle & dimed to death for maybe @ best 700 whp on Q16 w/solid tune.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:11 AM

04 SL600
Seems like more than a few of us think your a pest. Just copy and paste a few more spec sheets and leave out your comintary from now on.

You know who you are.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Sean, please take a deep breath and calm down a little bit.I see your points but v12ttenthusiasts first goal with 700whp is optimistic but not totally out of the world. Brabus made their 730bhp package more than 10years ago out of the 5.5liter when there was NO competition even no SL65. Thir goal was not to break the tranny to get trouble with rich customers. Look what GAD Motors from Germany made out of this package with Mo's Brabus Bullit. 136-137mph trapping car, with pump gas.And this was first attempt 900bhp with the restrictive 600 Heads and cams.They have much better coolers now and I think on 65 Engine the gains would be even more. So its possible to make good power, its only a question of how much you are going to spend...Lets wait and see :-)
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Seems like more than a few of us think your a pest. Just copy and paste a few more spec sheets and leave out your comintary from now on.

You know who you are.
lol ok sir sorry to bother you, I'll gladly keep quiet now Yeah, I know little to nothing on modding the m275 are you from TX by any chance Mr 9 posts? "We know who you are" lol STFUKup

AMG-Driver, we clearly see eye to eye on a lot of subjects.. Just trying to add some facts on what actually really makes mass hp/tq on these V12's The latest V12 packages from Brabus consists of same basic recipe, though they made a far better CAI, it's listed in my CAI threads.. the reason I brought up the 600 being bored to 6.3 in Brabus mod list was/is due to 65 having less material to bore. Brabus did it more for bragging rights as the extra .3 liter didn't really do squat pef wise. And V12enthusiasts mentioned boring the 6.0 as a possibility in making more hp...

Even the latest Brabus 65 2014 builds utilize 600 bored to 6.3 w/new CAI they gained 50+rwhp etc etc their latest ouputs on ALL these mods are now up to 800-BHP. Not just bigger turbos but forging internals etc etc that 800 BHP IN REAL WORLD MB DTL% is 18% that means ALL mods discussed only NET 700 rwhp... Last time I'll repeat this, much larger turbs/real shorty manifolds are what's needed to crack 840-850 rwhp... Don't you think if Speedriven who's made the MOST rwhp to date on the V12tt would've added Cams/ported-polished heads etc etc & added them to the package IF they made more rwhp? Speedriven also upgrades tranns & has no failures I've heard of.. Think abouti it..

Funny Brabus is making a V8 Biturbo version now, stk 5.5 they bore out to 6.0 & make between 800-850 BHP.. Though much less tq..

Last edited by Thericker; 11-30-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo

You know who you are.
More Copy/Paste for you to curse at while stuffing your "Grocery Hole" That's a Brabus rocket modified V12tt stuffed into a 12'-13' CLS.. 800 BHP there's NO room/extra material to safely bore 6.0 V12 tt 6.3 so they utilize 5.5 600 engine..
looks like a 10 yr old build huh
That = 700 rwhp on 98 RON octANE only set you back about$900k-$1,000,000.00

Since you love cut/paste here's THE LATEST 800 hp EXTENSIVE list EMPLOYED ON ALL v12 TT 6.3 ENGINE BUILDS..
SpecificationsEdit

Brabus begins with the the 5.5 liter twin-turbo V12 and replaces it with a 6.3 liter twin-turbo V12. All the extra*displacement*is courtesy of a longer stroking*crankshaft, larger cylinder bore, lager*pistons*and new piston rods. The*air intake*and twin turbo system were developed and tuned in house by Brabus. The set up includes custom headers as well as four water-to-air intercoolers. Brabus completes the package with a free flowing high-performance stainless steel exhaust.

Brabus also tuned the electronic components of the car. Reprogramming the mapping for ignition and injection ensuring performance and emission standards are met. All the power produced by the engine is transferred to the rear wheels via a five-speed automatic transmission. To keep the car safe to drive Brabus equipped a limited-slip differential and a stability control program.

Brabus has made it their trademark to make powerful models outside Mercedes-Benz product range., The engine was heavily tuned and was much more powerful than the original.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab®|PRO

Last edited by Thericker; 11-30-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:49 PM

sl600
Thericker you have a good point. How is it that Brabus are able to make more power from the V8 than the V12?
Old 11-30-2014, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Thericker you have a good point. How is it that Brabus are able to make more power from the V8 than the V12?
More efficient turbs, direct fuel INJ, but cost is much less TQ... IDK about you but the new V8's are leagues ahead esp better fster shifting 7 speed tranns, better gearing/MAKES UP FOR TQ deficit * lets not forget AWD & lighter curb weight. Forgettaabout new tech inside too..

Last edited by Thericker; 11-30-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTS-V
I am interested in this thread and the OP's progress, but if I hear anymore talk of "HP" goals, I'm gonna puke. I want to see trap speed gains. THAT is pretty universal. I don't recall seeing any "real world" performance numbers from the OP, but I seem to recall he has/had the same EC tune, and similar mods as I have. I trapped almost 128 (127.6 actually). I would be flat impressed if he went 135mph with his proposed mods. I think you need 50whp to gain 5mph.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by ttboost
I am interested in this thread and the OP's progress, but if I hear anymore talk of "HP" goals, I'm gonna puke. I want to see trap speed gains. THAT is pretty universal. I don't recall seeing any "real world" performance numbers from the OP, but I seem to recall he has/had the same EC tune, and similar mods as I have. I trapped almost 128 (127.6 actually). I would be flat impressed if he went 135mph with his proposed mods. I think you need 50whp to gain 5mph.
Jody's full speedriven pkg made a true 128 mph http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-17970.html
to @ least to trap 135 + Chk Dragtimes only kats trapping 135+ are either both in super negative DA, or have huge turbs/supporting mods Speedrven route..

Or Renntech setup Ferarri,, Carbon Cramic Rotors, Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, blk Series turbos w/custom 1 off cai.. & skinnies up front on lightweight Bogart or the like rear drag setup, full exhst, larger IC'S tuned for, 100-109-q16 tunes, interior lightening ie SEATS for racing versions rear reservoir packed w/ice.. etc etc http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20351.html though this run was so far ahead of restt in Florida heat, it's heavily rumored he utilized Nitrous to acomplish this.. jody has since bought all SGC old owner who set this records mods & is supposed to see if indeed these Traps/ET's are possible w/out Nitrous??? Jury's out..

An older member Stephen ran ECU/TCU drags/skinny's full exhaust 104 octane n his w220 S600 and addded 150-200 shot nitrous ran 10.58 @ 132 mph if mem serves.. The massive Curbweight kills these wonderful machines

Last edited by Thericker; 11-30-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:01 PM

sl600
I had this on a different post but I would like to know what you guys think.

Do you guys think that wider tires of the same type and compound will mean lower 60 times?
It seems that traction off the line becomes an issue as the power levels get up with our Mercedes, so would a wide body with wider wheels and tires net a faster time?
Old 11-30-2014, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
I had this on a different post but I would like to know what you guys think.

Do you guys think that wider tires of the same type and compound will mean lower 60 times?
It seems that traction off the line becomes an issue as the power levels get up with our Mercedes, so would a wide body with wider wheels and tires net a faster time?
Sadly they look ultra cool.. But best traction is had w/smaller skinnier tires w/FAT side walls IE 255-265/50-55/ on for your 600 16" CLK 320 stk wheels & only weigh 12.7 lbs ea not inc tires.. The fat sidewall is what allows your car too properly hook up & not just spin etc.. if you need links to source these parts LMK
Old 11-30-2014, 06:03 PM

sl600
I do understand that smaller wheels with bigger side walls is the way to go however assume you cannot go smaller as in my case due to Brembo BBK will wider such as 345mm wide tires hook better than 285mm in the same compound and type?
Old 11-30-2014, 06:27 PM

CTS-V
Originally Posted by Thericker
Jody's full speedriven pkg made a true 128 mph http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-17970.html
to @ least to trap 135 + Chk Dragtimes only kats trapping 135+ are either both in super negative DA, or have huge turbs/supporting mods Speedrven route..

Or Renntech setup Ferarri,, Carbon Cramic Rotors, Carbon Fiber Driveshaft, blk Series turbos w/custom 1 off cai.. & skinnies up front on lightweight Bogart or the like rear drag setup, full exhst, larger IC'S tuned for, 100-109-q16 tunes, interior lightening ie SEATS for racing versions rear reservoir packed w/ice.. etc etc http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-20351.html though this run was so far ahead of restt in Florida heat, it's heavily rumored he utilized Nitrous to acomplish this.. jody has since bought all SGC old owner who set this records mods & is supposed to see if indeed these Traps/ET's are possible w/out Nitrous??? Jury's out..

An older member Stephen ran ECU/TCU drags/skinny's full exhaust 104 octane n his w220 S600 and addded 150-200 shot nitrous ran 10.58 @ 132 mph if mem serves.. The massive Curbweight kills these wonderful machines

Hmmm, interesting. I have no idea what a "full Speedriven Package " is, but my car, which is basically a car with a flash, went 128ish. I have stock cats only (no mufflers, resonators, etc), front mount HE & Bosch pump (doesn't add power, but helps me keep what I have) and a "Stage 2" Eurocharged ECU/TCU tunes. I'm pretty sure with a few more runs, I could have gotten into the 10.70's with my car, maybe 130 or so. My only flashed passes were 11.20 and 10.99, both spinning pretty bad. (1.78 60ft on the 11.20 & 1.68 60ft on the 10.99 pass) do your own math. This was on wasted 18 DR's.
As I said, I seem to recall the OP's car and mine were nearly identically modded before he started this quest, so trap speed will be the deciding factor with regards to results.

...and I agree on the curb weight...that's why I am quitting here. I need exponentially more power to go as quick as I want to, with the weight...not willing to spend that much loot on this turd to do it. I'd rather start with something 1000lbs lighter...it will be just as fast...with less power...

Last edited by ttboost; 11-30-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
I tried to settle the tribes, but little did it work. LOL I have ran 127.xx with stock cats, stock intercoolers and stock wheels up front. It was a full weight pass. Tunes have improved, and Speedriven is not the only one out there with V12TT tuning success. Jody's pass is from 5 yrs ago. My Eurocharged tune, along with Dr. Matt's and ttboost will hold its one in similar conditions. I feel confident that even with stock intercoolers my car would trap 129-130 mph in cool weather, with my CAI, downpipes and some MS109. I was ready to, but didn't get the chance. We all know the V12TT manifold is a choke point, but if some other work, that has not been done before, nets some good power, it will be an asset to us all to know. I praise the OP for spending his money and his willingness to share it with us.

265/40/18s are all you need for traction, wider are heavier and not necessary. A day at the track with decent prep will make it obvious. For the street wider will help.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
SL65 AMG
Ultimately keep up the work and progress V12TTenthusiast!! You're one of a very small pool of guys even willing to get into these cars as far as you have. In the end however I agree with Thericker that to get the big power that people are seeking you'll have to go with one off exhaust manifolds and normal hot sided turbo setup and be in the 70mm+- turbine wheel sizes.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:55 PM

CTS-V
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
I tried to settle the tribes, but little did it work. LOL I have ran 127.xx with stock cats, stock intercoolers and stock wheels up front. It was a full weight pass. Tunes have improved, and Speedriven is not the only one out there with V12TT tuning success. Jody's pass is from 5 yrs ago. My Eurocharged tune, along with Dr. Matt's and ttboost will hold its one in similar conditions. I feel confident that even with stock intercoolers my car would trap 129-130 mph in cool weather, with my CAI, downpipes and some MS109. I was ready to, but didn't get the chance. We all know the V12TT manifold is a choke point, but if some other work, that has not been done before, nets some good power, it will be an asset to us all to know. I praise the OP for spending his money and his willingness to share it with us.

265/40/18s are all you need for traction, wider are heavier and not necessary. A day at the track with decent prep will make it obvious. For the street wider will help.
...oh yeah, not that anyone really cares, but my car was also stock IC's and piping, stock airbox and filter, stock intake, no CAI, etc...

Originally Posted by euphoriaDSM
Ultimately keep up the work and progress V12TTenthusiast!! You're one of a very small pool of guys even willing to get into these cars as far as you have. In the end however I agree with Thericker that to get the big power that people are seeking you'll have to go with one off exhaust manifolds and normal hot sided turbo setup and be in the 70mm+- turbine wheel sizes.
I agree... I'm very interested to see the results of this "experiment".

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work