SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work

Old 06-24-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Keep up the good work.... I'm very interesting to see how much power the engine is gone do?
The engine is gone be a master piece for sure.... you have optimized all the engine.
If you are not happy with the result and decide to modified/bigger turbos. You have the head work done and your engine is gone have more power than other ones..... because generally no one do the headwork because its so expensive..
If you want to have the best engine you must take that step to....
I have not seen any facts and no info about head work at this engine..... only speculations. I think you are gone be the only one who
comes to know how much it did!!!

One thing more....
you only live once and you will not receive the money to the grave with you so use and enjoy it for yourself. I have learn it at the hard way to..

Good luck!

Juha

Last edited by Ekselent; 06-24-2015 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
I might have missed it, who did the port work on your heads?
Tyson's Automotive Machine did the heads, Zor Turbo did the custom billet wheels and turbo rebuild. I'm just twiddling my fingers at this point waiting for the shop to get space. This week was a no go since the trunk tank and meth kit for the Weistec SL63 Biturbo needs to get done along with dyno tuning before Mpact. But I'm booked in for July 6th.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL600
V12TTenthusiast - Keep up the good work!

@ Thericker... are you a girl? Because you have soul sucking down to an art. People get on the forum to chit chat, have fun, and share their love of automobiles. Somehow you take every single bit of fun out of being part of this great community. I scroll through the forums time after time I see you busting peoples *****.

I can truly say you have utterly and completely ruined this forum for me. Sorry MBworld but if TheRicker was not around anymore your site would be so much more enjoyable for everyone.
Trust me when I say every bit of information you share could be sourced from other places, so do us all a favor and delete your prized 8k post account and use your time to enjoy your awesome car instead of destroying great threads like this with the constant harassment.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by r_martin126
V12TTenthusiast - Keep up the good work!

@ Thericker... are you a girl? Because you have soul sucking down to an art. People get on the forum to chit chat, have fun, and share their love of automobiles. Somehow you take every single bit of fun out of being part of this great community. I scroll through the forums time after time I see you busting peoples *****.

I can truly say you have utterly and completely ruined this forum for me. Sorry MBworld but if TheRicker was not around anymore your site would be so much more enjoyable for everyone.
Trust me when I say every bit of information you share could be sourced from other places, so do us all a favor and delete your prized 8k post account and use your time to enjoy your awesome car instead of destroying great threads like this with the constant harassment.
Odd you sound like an X girlfriend of mine So I gather this will be your last post here then? Quit spotting (if u have a lady you'll know what this means lol) & move it along Have a good 1

Last edited by Thericker; 07-02-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by Thericker
Odd you sound like an X girlfriend of mine So I gather this will be your last post here then? Quit spotting (if u have a lady you'll know what this means lol) & move it along Have a good 1

S8
Old 07-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
SL65 AMG
No matter how you cut it this build is amazing. Some of the mods might be frivolous and some are seeing great headway. Either way you're doing things most have never tried to do with this platform. So thanks for the thread and continuous updates. Once my motor mounts fail my build thread will start to get very interesting with fabwork, following some of the things you've done here. As for Thericker, the guy knows what he's doing/saying with these cars. He's been modding his 600 for longer than most of us have been into AMG's. I think his comment/humor gets taken way too literal and people get butt hurt. The guy has sat on the phone for 30 minutes helping me understand a mod not a lot of guys do or even know of, so he definitely is a valued member.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
People don't get butthurt - it is simply not necessary to bash, when you have a different opinion.

By the way, I am also sceptical like Thericker, that the head work will gain something with these engines. But when someone tries, let him try - why not?

My opinion is still - make only a good ECU-Tune and be satisfied with these cars or take the full option package with bigger Turbos, Intakes, Downpipes, IC's...
Old 07-03-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by euphoriaDSM
No matter how you cut it this build is amazing. Some of the mods might be frivolous and some are seeing great headway. Either way you're doing things most have never tried to do with this platform. So thanks for the thread and continuous updates. Once my motor mounts fail my build thread will start to get very interesting with fabwork, following some of the things you've done here. As for Thericker, the guy knows what he's doing/saying with these cars. He's been modding his 600 for longer than most of us have been into AMG's. I think his comment/humor gets taken way too literal and people get butt hurt. The guy has sat on the phone for 30 minutes helping me understand a mod not a lot of guys do or even know of, so he definitely is a valued member.
This is EXACTLY why I'm skeptical as this entire list of mods & then some has already been done/attempted.. It showed w/headwork & even better bump sticks, turbo wheels etc etc 600-615 whp max on a 100+ octane tune on a nearly new SL65 AMG back 4-5 yrs ago on this very site.. I'm not just making this stuff up, all these extra mods will show little to no gains over a reg ecu/tcu CAI, full exhaust & big IC setup on a perfectly working sl65 pushing rwhp to the high 580-590 range, then add full Ice stuffed trunk reservoir w/high octane 100+ & plenty here have seen 600whp but the rest of the headwork etc etc proved not worth the time or actually went backwards in gains etc etc.. Doesn't ANYBODY here wonder why no prof tuner has offered a ported head/cam tuning kit on the 65/600 models? Barring Brabus offering a fully ported/blueprintd 600 eng w/a better cam, that more matches a 65 cam made into a true 6.3 liter engine bigger manifolds w/turbo work etc etc @ $40-$60k+ that nets roughly 750 CRANK or BHP not RWHP... There's little to no gains in head work on this platform, it is already near max airflow etc etc

Thanks bud And anytime I can help out ANYBODY here I will.. Yes my humor is often taken too literally IE what reset this entire thread into another tailspin was meant purely in innocent fun, just like you would kid around w/your good friends in say a garage over eachothers cars etc NO harm was meant etc

Last edited by Thericker; 07-03-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is EXACTLY why I'm skeptical as this entire list of mods & then some has already been done/attempted.. It showed w/headwork & even better bump sticks, turbo wheels etc etc 600-615 whp max on a 100+ octane tune on a nearly new SL65 AMG back 4-5 yrs ago on this very site.. I'm not just making this stuff up, all these extra mods will show little to no gains over a reg ecu/tcu CAI, full exhaust & big IC setup on a perfectly working sl65 pushing rwhp to the high 580-590 range, then add full Ice stuffed trunk reservoir w/high octane 100+ & plenty here have seen 600whp but the rest of the headwork etc etc proved not worth the time or actually went backwards in gains etc etc.. Doesn't ANYBODY here wonder why no prof tuner has offered a ported head/cam tuning kit on the 65/600 models? Barring Brabus offering a fully ported/blueprintd 600 eng w/a better cam, that more matches a 65 cam made into a true 6.3 liter engine bigger manifolds w/turbo work etc etc @ $40-$60k+ that nets roughly 750 CRANK or BHP not RWHP... There's little to no gains in head work on this platform, it is already near max airflow etc etc

Thanks bud And anytime I can help out ANYBODY here I will.. Yes my humor is often taken too literally IE what reset this entire thread into another tailspin was meant purely in innocent fun, just like you would kid around w/your good friends in say a garage over eachothers cars etc NO harm was meant etc
Was it innocent fun with me..
Old 07-03-2015, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by sound 8
Was it innocent fun with me..
Everyone that's been here long enough to see your content will realize you're 1 of those special members that get on every ones nerves more frequently than anyone on this entire site.. Have a good day, go try stirring the pot on one of your countless senseless threads
Old 07-04-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
Let him build his engine with the mods he wants, it's his car. I'm not a V12 owner but what difference does it make if someone wants to try something new, it might work.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by fxrs1955
Let him build his engine with the mods he wants, it's his car. I'm not a V12 owner but what difference does it make if someone wants to try something new, it might work.
Seriously.. What is wrong w/you guys??? None of these mods are new or uncharted territory, they've all been done/attempted before. Where in ANY OF MY POSTS do I forbid him or somehow placing any control over the OP doing/saying/building/buying anything he damn well wants? You Mary's are hilarious am I to just NEVER mention a single word of my personal exp because you somehow confuse that w/controlling the OP lol.. you guys need to chill he/& you can build any damned thing you want..

I'm merely stating vast personal exp/knowledge on said builds already done to death here more than once by just that 1 build I mentioned plenty have tried these mods etc & the upgraded billet whls on 65's & found 40 odd whp on the last 1500-2k rpm's in most cases was maximum to be gained as the 65's whls are already enhanced vs 600 v12tt they see about 50-55 whp again hardly worth/$1500 PER SIDE in turbo work then add removal/install at $3500-$4500 etc etc.. The wheel isn't being reinvented here in the slightest..

Last edited by Thericker; 07-04-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 AM

2014 SL550
We're back to mine and probably a few others original question. What difference does it make what mods he's doing to his car? I personally don't care if what he's doing has been done 100 times, it's his car and if this is what he wants to do then so be it. It's not my time or money.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by fxrs1955
We're back to mine and probably a few others original question. What difference does it make what mods he's doing to his car? I personally don't care if what he's doing has been done 100 times, it's his car and if this is what he wants to do then so be it. It's not my time or money.
lol the difference is I'm purely stating my own personal opinion on the subject, I'm not demanding he stop or controlling him in any way. I think this website is 90% based on members opinions/feedback etc right?? If you or anyone else doesn't care for my point of view or vast exp on the subject there's a simple feature here called the "Ignore Button" use it

Last edited by Thericker; 07-05-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
Thericker, all people are saying is stick to the constructive comments and don't bash other people's projects just because similar mods have been done before. Each particular engine or car may net slightly different results. When it comes to the head work and even turbo tweaking, this could vary hugely depending on the workmanship that has been carried out.

I do not want an argument, just trying to keep things constructive.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:07 AM

2014 SL550
Originally Posted by F1BHP
Thericker, all people are saying is stick to the constructive comments and don't bash other people's projects just because similar mods have been done before. Each particular engine or car may net slightly different results. When it comes to the head work and even turbo tweaking, this could vary hugely depending on the workmanship that has been carried out.

I do not want an argument, just trying to keep things constructive.

This
Old 07-06-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Everyone that's been here long enough to see your content will realize you're 1 of those special members that get on every ones nerves more frequently than anyone on this entire site.. Have a good day, go try stirring the pot on one of your countless senseless threads
Thericker, everyone brings something to the forum. much of it is boring
crap including some of mine. However it's not all crap, make love not war.
Many people wouldn't waste their time going on a forum, but we are all
special otherwise the forum would disappear. You give the impression you
know more than anyone, I am sure you are trying to help, and get a kick
when someone says ...Thanks Thericker for curing my problem, rather than
go away and join another forum. I admit you know far more than the majority of members, and you have helped me, so please be nice..
S8
Old 07-06-2015, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Point taken, I admit I come off combative @ times when challenged or when others might have misinterpreted my joking for punitive/attacks etc they aren't, as I & a few others hopefully cleared up earlier..
Old 07-06-2015, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Point taken, I admit I come off combative @ times when challenged or when others might have misinterpreted my joking for punitive/attacks etc they aren't, as I & a few others hopefully cleared up earlier..
OK I'll be over for a beer..
Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
So is the car in the shop now? Get it ready for the fall MIR rentals! Then we can see what it really does
Old 07-06-2015, 04:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Yep dropped it off last night to avoid any hassle with traffic
Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by V12TTenthusiast
Yep dropped it off last night to avoid any hassle with traffic
Nice! Looking forward to the results
Old 07-07-2015, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
II subcribed
Old 07-07-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
I am looking forward to see what it does also. I may have some results on mine by the weekend.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Thericker....
if I have understand you right you mean somebody have already made this head work before at this engine and the result has been that does not affect anything or very poorly results?
Can you show me that ?... any thread or dyno would be more than welcome.
Please no speculations..
I'm pretty sure this head work give some more power. At least from the low rpm to mid rpm.

I would think that at least +30 hp and there are also something..
One thing more...
if I was there I would take you into a big and strong embrace ..... you need it...
and stop the bullying of others.....
we all have different levels and opinions, and you just have to accept it.
If I want 15 hp and it cost 5000 USD I would buy it if I want to have the best and power full engine.....
I think many of opinion is just plain jealousy because somebody have the time and money.

We will seen soon the results from this engine... and this is a master piece for sure.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Update on SL65 Engine Work