SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Inside door handle problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
Inside door handle problem

Hey Guys, well it's been that week and they say things come in threes.

Earlier this week, the car wouldn't start for a couple of attempts and when it finally did, I took it into my Indy and it turns out that I needed a new CPS. That got installed and away I went.

Last night, I went to get out of the car, pulled the door handle and heard a noise and now the handle is just flapping in the wind. I have to roll the window down and use the outside handle now. Any ideas what this could be? I'm hoping that a clip has just fallen off or something like that.

Lastly to cap things off this morning, I started the car up and there on my dash is a message about one of my brake lights. That just about capped my week...

Anyway, any info on the door handle would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by RoundTheBenz
Hey Guys, well it's been that week and they say things come in threes.

Earlier this week, the car wouldn't start for a couple of attempts and when it finally did, I took it into my Indy and it turns out that I needed a new CPS. That got installed and away I went.

Last night, I went to get out of the car, pulled the door handle and heard a noise and now the handle is just flapping in the wind. I have to roll the window down and use the outside handle now. Any ideas what this could be? I'm hoping that a clip has just fallen off or something like that.

Lastly to cap things off this morning, I started the car up and there on my dash is a message about one of my brake lights. That just about capped my week...

Anyway, any info on the door handle would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry to hear you are having issues. I unfortunately have nothing to offer about the door handle issue as I have yet to encounter the problem myself. I am sure it is just a matter of time though.

Regarding the brake light issue. Was it a warning on your MFD something like "Brake - Visit Workshop" in white? If so, I currently have this issue but decided to deal with it in the spring when I start using the car again. Here is a thread possibly on the issue https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...asy-diy-7.html

It could be that we are dealing with the SBC system. As best I can tell, it tracks how many times the brake is depressed and after some many times, it trips a fault which could mean we need to replace the SBC module. Not sure yet though. On the other hand, it could be the need for a $10 part.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
You "rolled down the windows" sorry couldn't resist ��
Old 12-19-2014, 08:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
Originally Posted by F1BHP
You "rolled down the windows" sorry couldn't resist ��
I guess I just dated myself...
Old 12-28-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL55 AMG Kompressor
There's a little cam in the door that broke. Cheap and quick fix, I found the fix on the forums here after some searching...under $20, pop the door panel off; pop out broken cam, slide in new one, its splined with a master spline to the aluminum door pull, hook the cable back up, panel back on, and happy motoring!