SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Driving Pet Peeves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
Driving Pet Peeves

So forums been kinda slow so and I had a thought while driving what pet peeves really annoy people on the forums that you see other people do a lot.

So I figured I'd list mine from worst to least:

1. The driver in front of you goes 5-10 mph or even more under the posted speed limit and its a single lane

2. Same as 1 but driving in the left lane

3. Trying to cut a toll lane where there might be 10-20 cars waiting and a person decides to try to cut into the full service lane and has the home state plate (I'll give you a break if your not from around here)

4. People who know not to wait in an intersection if there's traffic, light turns red and your now blocking everyone else who turn is now green because they didn't know not to block the box (see this a lot in DC too)

5. Trying to make a turn where there signs posted everywhere not to make the turn (this happens in DC alot)

6. Not turning with your signals on (Sadly this is an offence people from MD are known for but at least its not as bad as #1-2 which more people in a certain state I see doing lol)

7. Taking 10 seconds just to make a right turn lol

I know traffic laws are different in each state for example in NYC, your not allowed to make a right turn period if its red light, so I give it to them when I see a NY plate cause they don't know any better.

Same for VA I understand 20 mph over the speed limit is reckless driving and any mile over 90 mph or 30 mph over the speed limit is a day in jail. But if you have to drive slow please stay in the right. I believe DC is the same too not to sure

If you did 90 mph in MD or 30 mph over the speed limit, usually you just get a hefty ticket and points but no jail and if you have a really good record past 2 years judge will most likely give you probation before judgement with no fine or points (I should know I went 93 in a 45 work zone in MD, cop gave me a little break said I was out of the work zone at regular 55 speed limit, but this was 4-5 years ago when I first bought my SL55)

As for NJ you could be doing 90 mph on NJ turn pike and you'll still have people tailgating you cause they want to go, but from my experience in NJ at least people know to move over which I give NJ props cause they have those SLOW TRAFFIC STAY RIGHT signs everywhere

So anyone else have anything add to the list I figured this should be interesting to see what people say
Old 03-13-2015, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
You better get your car finished soon, you are too bored.. I will play along for one. I really hate when I give up waiting for people to pull to the right and I am forced to pass on the right to avoid slowing down my driving. To top if off,If that's not bad enough, 1 out of 10 typically feel they should have been driving faster so speed up 5-10 mph making it hard to pass and forcing me to speed.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:48 PM

06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
LMAO at least you heard the video clip, sounds a lot better than before, right when I thought it was ready to go a stupid clockspring and ABC pump go out, I got the clockspring ready just waiting on that pump. Too bad you couldn't hear it in person, that video doesn't do it justice, def louder than before.

Plus how is it hard to pass people in a single lane in a 65, I never have that issue with that car, maybe with my others, but in the 65 you can overtake people easy, and usually then they speed up and some will get pissed wondering why you past them lmao
Old 03-13-2015, 06:00 PM

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-mercedes-cl65-amg-car-review_694484.htm
Is that you racehorse at the 3:20+ mark passing 2-4 slow cars in a single lane like Jeremy Clarkson in the Top Gear review of the CL65 about 10 years ago.

Speaking of which anyone sad no more Top Gear atm? Not really surpised the Save Jeremy Clarkson Petition is over 850k+ in 3 days

https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson
Old 03-14-2015, 08:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
I hate it when you're trying to make a turn at an intersection and people come to a complete stop and wait five minutes until traffic comes along. My biggest pet peeve about driving in America is that people don't anticipate what cars in front will do, they just react, and usually too late.

Don't get me started on freeway driving and what the term "merge" means! Some of these bozo's wake up at 16 and get their license out of a box or corn flakes.

Thanks for getting me going first thing in the morning V12... ;-)
Old 03-14-2015, 12:54 PM

lmao I forgot about my beef with merging, what I hate even more is if there's traffic and you get on an on-ramp to the freeway, but people don't know common curiosity and have the 2 lanes go 1 by 1 into merging into a single lane. It's even worse when you have a turn single on and just driving in regular traffic and people still don't let you in (people in NYC you know what I'm talking about) lol
Old 03-17-2015, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Have a few.. Though top of my list is the FACT literally less than 5% of EVERY DAMNED person I see on the road cares to use their blinkers/signals to change lanes or when making sudden turns into businesses/stores/gas/food etc on surface streets etc..

It's beyond dangerous & flat out farging rude driving esp on frwy due to much, much, higher speeds... They act like raising their ohh so heavy fingers a few fracking mm to gently hit blinkers to change lanes etc is an utterly enormous hardly manageable inconvenient task to squeeze in between stuffing their grocery holes, doing their make-up, talking on the phn, texting, writing emails, picking their honkers etc etc you name it I've looked over to see what this person was up to when possible & seen it all..

The largest portion who refuse to use their signals (I mostly notice this on brand new to 1-2 yr old nicer luxury vehicles) while nothing else is seeming to be preoccupying their precious time, they look like they think signaling to change lanes is below them & totally unnecessary, a task left for peons & simpletons, as we should all be able to tell what their planning to do before they do it lol I can't even begin to understand their selfish/lazy attitudes on totally refusing to complete such a simple vastly important task (I've hardwired it into my mind/reflexes, just like putting on your seat-belts, you don't even consciously think about doing it after getting into the car, you just do it.. & using your signals/blinkers is a million times easier to boot!)

What boggles my mind even further as I noted above, most offenders that habitually ignore this simplest of tasks are driving fancy brand new luxury vehicles 1-2 yrs old @ most.. Since they obviously have zero concern on anyone elses safety, at the very least they would want to keep others from destroying their precious new luxury autos by getting rear-ended while changing multi lanes going 75-85 mph w/out EVER signaling???? Why???

Last edited by Thericker; 03-17-2015 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
You better get your car finished soon, you are too bored.. I will play along for one. I really hate when .
+1
Old 03-17-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior - SL55 Silver & Black Interior - E550
Thericker, I think they're optional equipment on the new cars! Hard to believe a new car doesn't come with indicators LOL.

Originally Posted by Thericker
Have a few.. Though top of my list is the FACT literally less than 5% of EVERY DAMNED person I see on the road cares to use their blinkers/signals to change lanes or when making sudden turns into businesses/stores/gas/food etc on surface streets etc..

It's beyond dangerous & flat out farging rude driving esp on frwy due to much, much, higher speeds... They act like raising their ohh so heavy fingers a few fracking mm to gently hit blinkers to change lanes etc is an utterly enormous hardly manageable inconvenient task to squeeze in between stuffing their grocery holes, doing their make-up, talking on the phn, texting, writing emails, picking their honkers etc etc you name it I've looked over to see what this person was up to when possible & seen it all..

The largest portion who refuse to use their signals (I mostly notice this on brand new to 1-2 yr old nicer luxury vehicles) while nothing else is seeming to be preoccupying their precious time, they look like they think signaling to change lanes is below them & totally unnecessary, a task left for peons & simpletons, as we should all be able to tell what their planning to do before they do it lol I can't even begin to understand their selfish/lazy attitudes on totally refusing to complete such a simple vastly important task (I've hardwired it into my mind/reflexes, just like putting on your seat-belts, you don't even consciously think about doing it after getting into the car, you just do it.. & using your signals/blinkers is a million times easier to boot!)

What boggles my mind even further as I noted above, most offenders that habitually ignore this simplest of tasks are driving fancy brand new luxury vehicles 1-2 yrs old @ most.. Since they obviously have zero concern on anyone elses safety, at the very least they would want to keep others from destroying their precious new luxury autos by getting rear-ended while changing multi lanes going 75-85 mph w/out EVER signaling???? Why???
Old 03-19-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Right is the new left?

Did Toronto - Florida last weekend in the SL63. Just over 1300 miles down 79 - 77 - 95. Constant flow of slow moving traffic in the left hand lane. I spent more time passing on the right. Very bizarre. Worst offenders - New York State license plates followed by New Jersey. Unfortunately Ontario plates weren't far behind .

This was my first long haul in the SL63. Averaged 73 mph door to door and got about 21 mpg, which I thought wasn't too bad.

Highlight of my trip down at Xmas though was the guy in the Chevy Trailblazer who decided to impede my progress by purposely blocking the left hand lane. Low and behold a South Carolina State Trooper pulled him over. Hope he received a big ticket; lmao.

James
Old 04-01-2015, 09:23 AM

This video pretty much explains my problems with drivers today lol

http://www.cnn.com/videos/living/201...ular-domestic/

What really bother's me is a certain state (people in the DMV area know which state I'm talking about lol) has there driver's ed instructor give out licenses after they finish a week of driving, how can someone you pay to teach you to drive, issue you a licenses? Seems kinda shady if you can't drive but you slip some money towards the instructor.

Just this Sunday I had a person keep keep drifting in between the lanes cause they were too busy on there cell phone. I really wish people paid more attention to the roads.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
SL65 drivers from Maryland
Yukon/Tahoe/Expedition/F150 drivers from Texas are the worst but not limited to these cars.
New York - variety of cars
New Jersey - variety of cars
Canada - any blue haired snowbird
Low line Hundai models from any state
Kia drivers - many are clueless.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Altima (for now)
My two biggest pet peeves are: 1) When people hover in my blind spot, especially when I'm trying to pass someone, and 2) On the rare occasion when someone passes me, then they get in front of me and slow down. Thanks for the vent time!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlownV8
SL65 drivers from Maryland
Yukon/Tahoe/Expedition/F150 drivers from Texas are the worst but not limited to these cars.
New York - variety of cars
New Jersey - variety of cars
Canada - any blue haired snowbird
Low line Hundai models from any state
Kia drivers - many are clueless.
You forgot about clan Volvo/Buick lmao but I did see the other day a lady in a Volvo actually going 10 mph above the speed limit, that was a rare sight lol
Old 04-02-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
Prius in the left lane that is not doing at least 100 MPH. About 20 miles of my drive to work the people in the left lane are doing 90-100 MPH coming down the pass into Bellevue.

Here in Washington we have a law that says regardless of the speed you are doing if you are impeding traffic a trooper can pull you over and give you a $389 ticket and they have emphasis patrols for this a few times a year. We still have people camped in left lane though. I read somewhere they gave out nearly 2000 of these tickets last year.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:23 PM

I wish we had that, most we can get away with 75-80 in the Washington D.C. metro area. 3 weeks ago I was heading to Richmond Va, the speed limit is 70 mph, and a Buick goes 50 mph in the left lane.....
Old 04-03-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
SL65 AMG
People that don't acknowledge flash to pass!! People that are on the highway and you have cruise set and you are passing them then their ego steps in and they throttle up then 1 mile later the same thing happens. Just set your cruise control already!!

Last edited by euphoriaDSM; 04-03-2015 at 11:08 AM.