SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: COILOVER CONVERSION KIT IN THE WORKS!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL600
I swapped out the 20" rims for stock 18"s and the rubbing as all but ceased. Maybe a little at full steering wheel lock, but I can live with that.

Also, the ride is significantly more comfortable now that I have some side wall to absorb road imperfections.

I have been in discussion with RMT, KW and Bilstien. I've been really impressed with the response from Bilstien.

They are putting the finishing touches on a design from their motorsports division that will be a direct drop in.

This will be a 3-way (bump, rebound and height) adjustable and will be rebuild-able with replaceable internal valving. Haven't got an exact price yet, but we are looking at around $900 per corner.

I'm to the point were Bilstien wants me to get the corner weights so they can get the spring constants just right. Delivery time is 6 weeks from time of order.

I'm excited that for less than $4000 I can get this suspension right once and for all.

I also spoke with the VVX/SLR folks listed in other posts.

They have an interesting product and I offered my SL600 as a test mule since they should be able to drop their coilovers in for final fitment and spring rate determination.

I even offered to pay for shop and track time at MSR but have heard nothing but crickets from them. I'll leave the reader to draw their own conclusions.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL 500
Strutmaster's Coil Over Kit

Originally Posted by taleb659
I have sourced all the parts for the front and rear strut assemblies except these two parts for the rear:

1. REAR SHIM: 2303250084 (QUANTITY: 2)
2. REAR BUMPER STOP: 2303260068 (QUANTITY: 2)

Once I have found the source for these parts i will be use my car as the test subject. My plan is to make this thread the most DIY informative thread for the R230 Chassis. That includes where to buy the parts, removal and installation, and real feedback with videos on how the car performs without sway bars at realistic speeds and turns. If the car is stable then good and if its not then sway bars will be put in. I have reasoning on why I want to install the kit without sway bars in the beginning.

The setup I will be making will have:
1. Bilstein Shock absorbers
2. H&R Lowering Springs (approximately 30 mm)
3. Bumper stop, shim, boot, dust cap, and top mount will be OEM

Current availability for conversion kits are:
1. Rebuild Master Tech on ebay: $2500 + $1500 Core Charge
NOTE: The RMT is really the best kit on the market for the price. One thing that made me shy away was their core charge. I don't like the idea of shipping all of those parts at once and let them determine whether my core fits their standards. This is what they say on their ad: (Core charges are refunded within 14 business days of receipt of core.)

2. StrutMasters conversion kit for the SL500: $2200 Shipped
I spoke with a man named Gary and he told me the kit consist of KYB shocks and Eibach Springs. This setup seems more appealing than the standard SL350 setup Rebuild Master Tech is offering. However this kit does not offer sway bars, and with this kit you essentially keep the rest of the ABC components. When you use this kit you cap off the lines and are still prone to ABC line failures. Unless you change the pump then you can get rid of the ABC system.

Arnott is offering to pay $300.00 for each strut for the R230 Chassis.
1. $300 X 4 = $1200 JUST FOR STRUTS. This does not include the ABC pump and two valve bodies which you can still sell. This is another reason why I don't want to give my core to Rebuild Master Tech.

Please chime in and maybe somebody can help source these two parts!

Thanks.
I recently installed the Strutmaster's kit. The instruction that came with the kit was very good except the information about wireing the light kit module. I too, shy away from Rebuilt Master Tech for the same reasons. I am interesting in knowing why one would still have ABC problems with the Strutmaster's kit? After the installation I drove the car about 100 miles a combination of highway and city. At one instance I feel and the rear end was slipping out in the opposite direction of my turn, but it was at low speed (15 miles). Since the suspension was still settling out I am discounting that to be a fluke. However, I am going to be paying much closer attention to turns.
Where can I get good sway bars for my 2003 SL500?
Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Try ebay. Look for 230 SL350 sway bars. If you don't replace the tandem pump with a single power steering pump, you can still have issues.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL 500
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Try ebay. Look for 230 SL350 sway bars. If you don't replace the tandem pump with a single power steering pump, you can still have issues.
Thanks V8
I did not think about the hydraulic lines as I never had the problem. Are there any DIY information on installing rear sway bars?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Some have done the conversion. Do a quick search.