SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: R230 Adjustable Coilover Kit : It's Finally Happening!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55 AMG
OK! Coilovers are completed!

As promised I took a picture of the final coilover design today when I stopped over at VVK:

VVK Coilovers for R230

Probably the prettiest coilovers I've ever seen. We went over to the anodizer the grab the finalized parts (all beautiful) and we assembled these together for the picture. During that assembly the guys at VVK said they want to make the top plate even stronger - so they are going to make it three times thicker than you see in the picture . Here's their render of them here:

VVK Coilovers for R230 : Top Plate(s) Render

All those in the group buy will get these new plates with your kit. I'm leaving on business for 2 weeks but VVK will make their own name on here soon and update you all on the purchasing.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
sl600
Has anybody been able to confirm the fitment on the v12 models?
Old 10-28-2015, 10:38 AM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by F1BHP
Has anybody been able to confirm the fitment on the v12 models?
The coilovers 100% fit the v12. The sway bars are being made currently and they will most likely be tested on an MBworld member's SL65 (wlelandj) to verify v12 fitment. This entire kit is being made to fit all models, without question.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl500
Originally Posted by Sl65amgg
Can you add me to the list?
Also how long will take to get this kit?
Sl65amgg - Alex Horvat - ach_alex1@yahoo.com
Old 10-31-2015, 10:16 AM

SL55 AMG
Sl65amgg - Alex Horvat - ach_alex1@yahoo.com
Updated!

Group Buy for $3500 [Username-Full Name-Email]
1. FlyinFINN - Shane Allen - shane.allen@modti.com
2. cordney16 - Cordney C Ward - cordney16@yahoo.com
3. spartan7669 - Dimitri Tsioutsiopoulos - roufusfighter@live.com
4. PAC55 - Peter - arcpeterc@optusnet.com.au
5. SL65amgg - Alex Horvat - ach_alex1@yahoo.com
6. wlelandj - Leland Johnson - wlelandj@yahoo.com
Old 10-31-2015, 10:36 PM

sl600
I am very excited to see these things go on and put to he test. Good work.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:11 PM

Sl500
Originally Posted by FlyinFINN
OK! Coilovers are completed!

As promised I took a picture of the final coilover design today when I stopped over at VVK:

VVK Coilovers for R230

Probably the prettiest coilovers I've ever seen. We went over to the anodizer the grab the finalized parts (all beautiful) and we assembled these together for the picture. During that assembly the guys at VVK said they want to make the top plate even stronger - so they are going to make it three times thicker than you see in the picture . Here's their render of them here:

VVK Coilovers for R230 : Top Plate(s) Render

All those in the group buy will get these new plates with your kit. I'm leaving on business for 2 weeks but VVK will make their own name on here soon and update you all on the purchasing.
Any updates?
How soon we can actually receive this kit?
Old 11-15-2015, 11:03 PM

SL55 AMG
Any updates?
How soon we can actually receive this kit?
VVK made an account here, and tried to post an update yesterday, but it was removed on the basis that they need to sign up as a vendor (so they are doing that now).

As far as I have been told, they are finalizing the sway bars on my car as we speak - and they should start taking pre-orders within a week or two.

I'm also told they only need one more buyer to complete the group buy as they found two other buyers off site!

4. PAC55 - Peter - arcpeterc@optusnet.com.au
5. SL65amgg - Alex Horvat - ach_alex1@yahoo.com
6. wlelandj - Leland Johnson - wlelandj@yahoo.com
7. alan688hk - Alan Ngan
8. -off site buyer-
9. -off site buyer-
Old 11-16-2015, 04:43 PM

SL500
2003 SL500

Hey Guys,

I have alreday done my cool conversion to my car. I just don't know how to remove the ABC warning.

This was from some place in Forida. I live in TX

QUOTE=FlyinFINN;6536299]As you all realize, the airmatic situation on our cars is troublesome. If I am not reading about people having problems on here, I am having them myself (actually have a have full suspension failure currently). The SL65 Black Series has coilovers, why can't we? So I went out and discussed with a well known BMW suspension builder here in Florida called SLRspeed (http://slrspeed.com/), and an upcoming automotive engineering company called VVK, to combine efforts and finally create us a reliable and adjustable coilover kit (with sway bars) for our cars. And after over a month of discussions, they are in!

For the full kit, with sways, and a 1-year warranty - they are aiming at a low $4000 for everything. If we get a group buy going and get 10 people on the list, we can get these down to $3500. If we get an even bigger list, I can really try and see if we can get these lower, if at least a little bit

There will be two options: "Street" which will be approximately same ride feel as stock but a bit firmer, and "Sport" with a stiffer ride for track (what I'm getting personally). But the best part of all, is these struts/springs can be re-valved/changed at any time and made specific to your liking - fully customizable. If a strut ever blew, it will be an easy replacement strut that swaps in and out in under an hour, so no more expensive hassles or long down times.

What is the interest like here? Who else is fed up with tensing when red lights blink and gong - always wondering if you'll be driving home at 20mph that night because your car is "too low". If we can get a list going it will speed up the development time even more - which is currently in the timeline of about 2months. I'm leaving my car with them to mockup and develop for and then they'll do final testings and then shipping out. Who's in?

4. FreedP - Peter Freed - freedp@gmail.com (maybe)
10.[/QUOTE]

Old 11-16-2015, 09:47 PM

SL55 AMG
^^ Cool car!

Went over to VVK today, coilovers are finalized and sways are near done. Because of this - VVK will start taking the pre-orders next week!

VVK Coilover Kit - R230
Old 11-16-2015, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Looks good but still want to know if it will fit the V12 models.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:12 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Looks good but still want to know if it will fit the V12 models.
Yes. The sway bars they are making will fit all R230 models, including the V12.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:53 PM

Sl500
^^ Cool car!

Went over to VVK today, coilovers are finalized and sways are near done. Because of this - VVK will start taking the pre-orders next week!

VVK Coilover Kit - R230
Any updates?
Can you send me VVK contact no.?
Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 PM

SL55 AMG
Any updates?
Can you send me VVK contact no.?
I'll get back to you with contact info tomorrow, I got back from Asia on business and have personally been busy. I'll be at their shop tomorrow and will update!
Old 12-04-2015, 07:26 PM

Sl500
I'll get back to you with contact info tomorrow, I got back from Asia on business and have personally been busy. I'll be at their shop tomorrow and will update!
Any news ???
Old 12-08-2015, 01:47 PM

SL55 AMG
Any news ???
News! They are still in finalization and tuning of the sway bars. Where others use stock SL350 sways, VVK is making beefier and stiffer sways for our heavier cars. So this takes some fine tuning and testing, something I overlooked while updating you guys - and that's my fault entirely.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL600
I just posted my experience with the MasterTech coilover conversion on my SL600 last nigh on this board. Looking at this design I would have to know a lot more to see if it solves the problems I encountered, such has what are the spring rates and travel of the dampers? Whose shock is this? Regarding the sway bar install I think you a being a bit naive' as to what that entails. It is not a direct bolt on. It requires welding isolation brackets to the frame to get the necessary stiffness. I think RMT has the design right, they just don't have the right springs and perhaps the wrong dampers as well.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:47 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by gwelliott
I just posted my experience with the MasterTech coilover conversion on my SL600 last nigh on this board. Looking at this design I would have to know a lot more to see if it solves the problems I encountered, such has what are the spring rates and travel of the dampers? Whose shock is this? Regarding the sway bar install I think you a being a bit naive' as to what that entails. It is not a direct bolt on. It requires welding isolation brackets to the frame to get the necessary stiffness. I think RMT has the design right, they just don't have the right springs and perhaps the wrong dampers as well.
Thanks for the post! Let's get a few facts out of the way first.

- You've installed RMTs (non height or damper adjustable) coilover kit.
- Their shocks are stock from a SL350 in Europe.
- Their sway bars are stock from SL350 in Europe.
- The SL350 is a lighter car.
- RMT has designed nothing in this case.

Due to these facts, the dampening and springs will of course not be correct for your V12 car.

VVK and SLR are creating a fully custom kit, including the sways which will indeed be bolt on, for both V8 and V12 cars - and much more than stock SL350 parts. I would recommend speaking with Sean at SLR with any additional questions or concerns regarding the design itself, you can reach him at 561-542-2810.

I will continue my normal updates here as things progress!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL600
Well, not all your facts are correct. My coilovers are height adjustable and there is more to the design than you think. RMT definately botched the spring rates, so no fan-boy there.

I have a 2004 SL600 with several thousand miles on this one-off coilover conversion. You have a drawing and some prototype parts. Be careful not to oversell this until you have a working prototype.

Don't get me wrong, I hope this works, as it will be a cheaper option than the custom KW's I am looking to install at this point. It is certainly advancing the craft which I am all for. I caution against all religous zealotry, even torward my prefered object of worship.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:24 PM

SL55 AMG
ALERT: VVK HAS NOT STARTED THE GROUP BUY YET! If you receive any emails asking to pay its someone trying to scam you! I will announce when VVK has officially started taking orders - until then, anybody requesting money from you is a scam.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:40 PM

Sl500
Any news ??? Updates ?
Old 01-08-2016, 11:18 AM

SL55 AMG
Sorry for not keeping you all up to speed on the development! I personally have been out of country for the holidays. VVK has informed me they have a hold up at the anodizer since before the new year. They say mid-late January they can start taking orders on their site www.vvk-usa.com.

In the meantime if you have any questions, you can contact Sean at SLR 561-542-2810.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E63 AMG / W124 E500 / Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 / Lotus Elise 111s MK1
It is actually great to see a proper solution is being developped for the SL55. Too bad I sold mine last year !

Anyway, I was still considering to get another one andthis solution would definitely be an otion.

That said, you posted a lot of pictures of the schocks, but none of the sway bars. How does it look like and more precisely how does it fit on the car ? I thought there is no space for a sway bar.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:32 PM

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Z_de_Suisse
It is actually great to see a proper solution is being developped for the SL55. Too bad I sold mine last year !

Anyway, I was still considering to get another one andthis solution would definitely be an otion.

That said, you posted a lot of pictures of the schocks, but none of the sway bars. How does it look like and more precisely how does it fit on the car ? I thought there is no space for a sway bar.
The updating has been entirely my problem. I went by VVK yesterday and my car was on the lift test fitting the multiple sway bars they have made (it takes a long time to put them on, drive, take off, repeat over and over). I didn't grab a picture of those but I will when I go again next week. I did however, see the final production model strut tops and they look incredible...

VVK R230 SL Coilover Kit Strut Mounts

Military grade anodizing and all made right here in Florida. I will get back next week with more info on the sways and ordering!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 PM

sl600
Wow, those look impressive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: R230 Adjustable Coilover Kit : It's Finally Happening!