SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: This one has me Stumped!!! Alternator Diode pack melt Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 11:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, SL500, SLK320, ML320, CLK 430
This one has me Stumped!!! Alternator Diode pack melt Down

Anyone know what may cause this?? About a month ago I was driving and smelled an electrical fire I pulled over and it was my alternator, it was actually on fire (the diode pack under its cover had a small flame going). I had my sl55 towed home and replaced the alternator with a new one. Upon inspection of my original alternator i noticed the diode pack was melted/burnt on one side. Well just last week the same thing happened, dash lights, red battery /alternator loss of brake power etc. After calling a tow truck with a flat bed who by the way dropped it and rolled it off the flat bed down a hill and into a ditch ! I replaced the alternator again and I'm worried it may happen again. The car drives great ( well was till the whole rolling into a ditch thing ,now the ABC light ,dash turns red on road dips???) just want to take preventive measures, can grounding issues cause this or perhaps a low battery overworking the alternator??? Also, if anyone has an 04 sl55 front bumper I would love to buy it! Silver would be Ideal but any color will do.

on the upside I can swap an sl55 alternator now in less than 30 min!

Best Regards,
Adrian.
The following users liked this post:
Sznauci (05-30-2023)
Old 01-22-2016, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
CLK55, CL500, Q45
Why are you looking for a bumper? The tow-truck's liability insurance should
be taking care of the damages from the car rolling away.
Old 05-30-2023, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl55
Originally Posted by Sarc1218
Anyone know what may cause this?? About a month ago I was driving and smelled an electrical fire I pulled over and it was my alternator, it was actually on fire (the diode pack under its cover had a small flame going). I had my sl55 towed home and replaced the alternator with a new one. Upon inspection of my original alternator i noticed the diode pack was melted/burnt on one side. Well just last week the same thing happened, dash lights, red battery /alternator loss of brake power etc. After calling a tow truck with a flat bed who by the way dropped it and rolled it off the flat bed down a hill and into a ditch ! I replaced the alternator again and I'm worried it may happen again. The car drives great ( well was till the whole rolling into a ditch thing ,now the ABC light ,dash turns red on road dips???) just want to take preventive measures, can grounding issues cause this or perhaps a low battery overworking the alternator??? Also, if anyone has an 04 sl55 front bumper I would love to buy it! Silver would be Ideal but any color will do.

on the upside I can swap an sl55 alternator now in less than 30 min!

Best Regards,
Adrian.
I found the same problem as mine. Third alternator burnt out. Please tell me how you solved your problem

B/R Marcin from Poland