SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: DO NOT EVER GO WITH EUROCHARGED! $5K LOSS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL65
Originally Posted by aeroman
If you do replace them do both not just one. My tech guy says when one goes the other goes within 3 months.
there are people who actually repair these, is it possible they could do a recondition on them to make them more resilient to the extra stress demanded by the tune?

how can I be 100% sure it is the coils nothing else? (like the Voltage reg)
Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sl65, SL600 RENNtech, Verde Ithaca LP640, 3 highly modified Panteras, Maserati Biturbo, 300D turtle
Originally Posted by SL65MONSTA
there are people who actually repair these, is it possible they could do a recondition on them to make them more resilient to the extra stress demanded by the tune?

how can I be 100% sure it is the coils nothing else? (like the Voltage reg)
On my 04 SL600 when i got limp mode, my MBZ tech guy also said there was a new MBZ tech bulletin of how to fix the coil wiring harness, which has problems too according to MBZ. In my case on my SL600 RENNtech ECU, he fixed that harness according to the MBZ bulletin, but a few months later needed a new coil anyway.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 sl65
all on amazon take your pick

you can order on amazon u-578 & u-579 or see the list to chose from.
Attached Thumbnails DO NOT EVER GO WITH EUROCHARGED! K LOSS-list-coils.jpg   DO NOT EVER GO WITH EUROCHARGED! K LOSS-col.jpg  
Old 02-04-2016, 11:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Speedriven CL600 V12TT
The old coils were absolute garbage. When you get a tune, you end up changing ignition timing, and with the original coil packs and voltage transformer being terrible even on stock timing, it's no wonder that a more aggressive ignition would cause them to short. I'd just do everything - both coil packs and the transformer. The updated MB models have a very small failure rate.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:44 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
sl65monsta- your coil packs were already on their way out. The tune didn't make them go bad, they just accelerated them going out faster by putting a minor amount of additional strain on them. You were going to have to replace them in the next year anyhow even if you didn't get the tune.

What you're doing here is the same as someone who added a tune or other power adder to their car being mad that it made their transmission go out. It wasn't the tune that made the transmission go out, it just exposed a ticking time bomb that was about to go off soon anyhow.

At the prices you are talking for coil packs you need to see if some place will ship international like autozone, who has a lifetime warranty on the part. There is a sponsor on the board that give a lifetime warranty ON ALL PARTS including wear parts like brake pads. I bet they'd ship them to you and save you a boatload of money on the coils
Old 02-05-2016, 07:59 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
I kind of agree with EC, should have done the research more thoroughly.......I have read a lot about EC over the years.........and they're mostly good reviews
Old 02-06-2016, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
I remember being told that when it comes up as a misfire, first thing is to replace the plugs at fault. If it is still a misfire, then the coil pack. If the problem persists then the ignition control module. I don't remember hearing of a way that you can clearly pin point coil from control module. I had a warranty at the time and it turned into a bunch of down time back and forth when the shop anticipated the second one to fail.

If/when my coils are to fail again, I would replace plugs and both coils all at once. I personally would never buy used coils or spend the money on a refurbished kit. It could be a huge waste of time. What you save in the part will double in time and/or labor if you have to remove and replace. Also, who's to blame if it doesn't work if you are doing the refurbishing?

I would buy two new coils, the 24 plugs, and find an independent Mercedes repair shop to install. If that doesn't fix the misfire problem, then you will probably need the ignition control module.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
If your plugs have more than 40K on them you are asking for trouble. They will potentially weld themselves to the block and then you are f'd. Mine were changed at 38K and were horrific looking.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:55 PM

SL65
Originally Posted by RoadHazard
The old coils were absolute garbage. When you get a tune, you end up changing ignition timing, and with the original coil packs and voltage transformer being terrible even on stock timing, it's no wonder that a more aggressive ignition would cause them to short. I'd just do everything - both coil packs and the transformer. The updated MB models have a very small failure rate.
a guy who reconditions them says the new part number and the old part number are exactly the same except a voltage sticker on the outside, he also explains the reason the newer part numbers are more resilient is because there more newer (parts internally) but says none of the parts are more higher voltage resistant or anything of that sort, this is why I think there may be a better way to resolve the issue instead of forking out $thousands. Also a new IGN module , the part numbers the same Ive been told? how would this resolve the issue if the part failed because of the tune? one would assume it would only just fail again not being an updated part? maybe its just a case of similar to the coils i.e not updated but just in "better condition and less wear tear", which seems to be what makes these parts more "resilient" to tunes.

Originally Posted by carguyshu
sl65monsta- your coil packs were already on their way out. The tune didn't make them go bad, they just accelerated them going out faster by putting a minor amount of additional strain on them. You were going to have to replace them in the next year anyhow even if you didn't get the tune.

What you're doing here is the same as someone who added a tune or other power adder to their car being mad that it made their transmission go out. It wasn't the tune that made the transmission go out, it just exposed a ticking time bomb that was about to go off soon anyhow.

At the prices you are talking for coil packs you need to see if some place will ship international like autozone, who has a lifetime warranty on the part. There is a sponsor on the board that give a lifetime warranty ON ALL PARTS including wear parts like brake pads. I bet they'd ship them to you and save you a boatload of money on the coils
why are a lot of people saying "your coils were already out on there way?" those plugs were in the car for the last 12 years! and did there job just fine, as soon as I post onto a forum a tune has blown my coils at the exact same day i upload the tune, you sit there say " they were soon to go" you do not know this for sure or should say that. Reality is the tune has done this damage its not rocket science this damage was not present before the tune.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
I kind of agree with EC, should have done the research more thoroughly.......I have read a lot about EC over the years.........and they're mostly good reviews
They have been in the game for years your right, but I as a customer was entrusting into there years of expertise about the tune and if it will affect my car or do damage. They failed to say yes it will, this is why I am blaming them, if they told me I would probably need to upgrade "plugs, coils, IGN modules" I think a lot of people would live without a tune!

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
I remember being told that when it comes up as a misfire, first thing is to replace the plugs at fault. If it is still a misfire, then the coil pack. If the problem persists then the ignition control module. I don't remember hearing of a way that you can clearly pin point coil from control module. I had a warranty at the time and it turned into a bunch of down time back and forth when the shop anticipated the second one to fail.

If/when my coils are to fail again, I would replace plugs and both coils all at once. I personally would never buy used coils or spend the money on a refurbished kit. It could be a huge waste of time. What you save in the part will double in time and/or labor if you have to remove and replace. Also, who's to blame if it doesn't work if you are doing the refurbishing?

I would buy two new coils, the 24 plugs, and find an independent Mercedes repair shop to install. If that doesn't fix the misfire problem, then you will probably need the ignition control module.
It would be wiser to pinpoint where the issue is instead of just replacing the whole motor, lets say it was your IGN module, I'm sure you wouldn't go wasting money on all the rest, unless of course they all needed doing and you were half way into the disassembling of the motor

If your plugs have more than 40K on them you are asking for trouble. They will potentially weld themselves to the block and then you are f'd. Mine were changed at 38K and were horrific looking.
plugs were changed a week ago, less then 150kms on them
Old 02-07-2016, 12:36 PM

I'd be willing bet that one or both of your coils could not handle the added stress of the new spark plugs and the tune.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cl 65
so let me get this straight, eurocharged is claiming ignorance on coil packs failing after installing their tune? That doesnt sound right as im sure they know this is a common occurence. Why didnt you guys (eurocharged) disclose this as the customer asked if their were any shortcomings to intalling a tune from you guys?

Kind of messed up I would be pissed.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:09 PM

Cl 65
plugs dont weld themselves to the block and by block im sure you meant heads which are aluminum on the m275 and the plugs have metal threaded shells.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
This entire thread is silly. You mod your car, you take risks. Yes, coil packs are weak. Yes, the tune probably made it worse.

Yes, you should have done the most basic Google search to learn this.

You took the risk.

I once had a supercharger added to my C5 Corvette, with a tune. Went too lean with the mechanic on the first drive and blew the engine.

Ended up costing me $20k. Did I complain? Nope.

I knew the risks. I'd done my homework.

Which is why I LOVE the Eurocharge tune on my SL65 AND E55. Am I risking needing coil packs?

Yep.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Cl 65
Originally Posted by tscales
This entire thread is silly. You mod your car, you take risks. Yes, coil packs are weak. Yes, the tune probably made it worse.

You took the risk.

I once had a supercharger added to my C5 Corvette, with a tune. Went too lean with the mechanic on the first drive and blew the engine.

Which is why I LOVE the Eurocharge tune on my SL65 AND E55. Am I risking needing coil packs?

Yep.
So the mechanic tuned your vette for the blower or you got a mailorder tune that was too lean for the mods you told them you had? Hope you werent careless enough to get a mailorder tune on a supposed 20k motor. Either way there has to be accountability for blowing your motor or you just like getting screwed. I pay a tuner everytime I mod my motor on my mustang entrusting their expertise that something so simple as a lean condition which would be caught on a dyno does not occur.

I bet you didnt even dyno your car to test it under load and adjust timing and fuel. If you didnt i wouldnt go around bragging about spending 20k on a motor lol. Since when do ls1s cost 20k anyways

Gotta love forums
Old 02-07-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 SL55
"I cranked up my hp and something broke."

Welcome to making cars faster.

That said, coil packs go bad. Those particular units are known to be weaker than their newer revisions.

Id say be thankful you have so many people with experience and expertise willing to help you pinpoint the issue rather than spending hours of shop time diagnosing.

If you had spent a little more time listening to the wisdom from said forum posts before making the upgrades, perhaps you would have found the proper maintenance items might be higher priority than more power?

5 years ago when I got my Lightning, the first thing i did was port the blower and turn up the boost. It was a little faster and i never questioned it. A few years later i wanted more power so i got a twin screw blower and all the fuel mods. Well, turns out, i didnt gain anything. Weird... so it took me almost a year to find out my IC pump worked while sitting during inspection, but failed under load... i had iats through the roof! So when i finally fixed it, my new fuel regulator was worn and wouldnt seat properly because of all the fluttering it endured when the truck went in and out of limp mode at high rpm with high charge temps. Took me 4 years to finally get it running right, and a lot of shop diagnostic time after i finally admitted it was beyond my understanding to figure out the issue.

So with these higher ticket amg motors, i am doing my best to make sure everything is working properly before i turn up the power.

Best of luck taking care of the small stuff so you can enjoy your bigger power numbers and the true potential of your motor!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
Sorry guys but every time I read this thread all I can think about is that girls *** in the green short shorts,coils ,tunes ,homework f that ,who is that chick
Old 02-08-2016, 03:35 AM

SL65
I'd be willing bet that one or both of your coils could not handle the added stress of the new spark plugs and the tune.
So far Ive had everyone saying different things from "coils, IGN module, ECU fried, 02 sensors, boost leak" Im gonna get it booked into one of the Merc dealers to look at it, at least then I will know for sure.

Originally Posted by fastlife23
plugs dont weld themselves to the block and by block im sure you meant heads which are aluminum on the m275 and the plugs have metal threaded shells.
hahah so true ^

Originally Posted by tscales

You took the risk.

Yep.
im glad you enjoyed blowing $20k ahhahahahahaha and didnt do anything about it hahahahaha , I didnt hire Eurocharged so I go and google "will a tune affect any part on a 2004 SL65 v12 AMG?" if your trusting google to determine your lifes decisions, my friend you need to ask yourself some serious questions

So the mechanic tuned your vette for the blower or you got a mailorder tune that was too lean for the mods you told them you had? Hope you werent careless enough to get a mailorder tune on a supposed 20k motor. Either way there has to be accountability for blowing your motor or you just like getting screwed. I pay a tuner everytime I mod my motor on my mustang entrusting their expertise that something so simple as a lean condition which would be caught on a dyno does not occur.

I bet you didnt even dyno your car to test it under load and adjust timing and fuel. If you didnt i wouldnt go around bragging about spending 20k on a motor lol. Since when do ls1s cost 20k anyways

Gotta love forums
hahah ^

Originally Posted by m-svt-amg
"I cranked up my hp and something broke."

Welcome to making cars faster.

That said, coil packs go bad. Those particular units are known to be weaker than their newer revisions.

Id say be thankful you have so many people with experience and expertise willing to help you pinpoint the issue rather than spending hours of shop time diagnosing.

If you had spent a little more time listening to the wisdom from said forum posts before making the upgrades, perhaps you would have found the proper maintenance items might be higher priority than more power?

5 years ago when I got my Lightning, the first thing i did was port the blower and turn up the boost. It was a little faster and i never questioned it. A few years later i wanted more power so i got a twin screw blower and all the fuel mods. Well, turns out, i didnt gain anything. Weird... so it took me almost a year to find out my IC pump worked while sitting during inspection, but failed under load... i had iats through the roof! So when i finally fixed it, my new fuel regulator was worn and wouldnt seat properly because of all the fluttering it endured when the truck went in and out of limp mode at high rpm with high charge temps. Took me 4 years to finally get it running right, and a lot of shop diagnostic time after i finally admitted it was beyond my understanding to figure out the issue.

So with these higher ticket amg motors, i am doing my best to make sure everything is working properly before i turn up the power.

Best of luck taking care of the small stuff so you can enjoy your bigger power numbers and the true potential of your motor!
Ok I dont know if you have been following this post , but there are numerous things that could be wrong as mentioned in my reply to "Aeroman" so I'm still at no where near "diagnosing" the issue yet. A guy who works on the coils swears the coil packs are the same internally, but is still yet to confirm in a couple days.. the coils are not something you just replace because your servicing your car, in Australia over here they cost $10k , the equivalent of $7k US so its not something you "casually" service at a plug change. These items get replaced if need to! not just because the car might fail soon... some peoples plugs last 20,000kms and some 200,000kms. Everything was working fine also on the car prior to Eurocharges tune.

They also knew this was a common failure with tuning but failed to inform me, so liability is on them. If they had told me or there customers they would be up for new coils , IGN modules and possibility of frying the ECU I'm sure I would have not got the tune and many others would have not, so this puts them out of business. So is what I am saying wrong here ? no ! its the reality of life that people have a self interest , but I dont make a profit by hurting other people.

Originally Posted by cnterline
Sorry guys but every time I read this thread all I can think about is that girls *** in the green short shorts,coils ,tunes ,homework f that ,who is that chick
how exactly have you contributed to this ?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:04 AM

Yes. Yes. I didn't say it correctly. Weld wasn't the right word but they can get stuck in there and my tech said in layman's terms they are welded......
Old 02-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Hi,

I gave you good advice in the other thread - get a professional diagnosis by Autohaus Zetland, they will help you.

From my experience:

If everything (plugs, coils, IGN-Module etc.) were o.k. BEFORE the tune, a professional tune makes NO problems. Same on my car. No Problems (I have no Eurocharged Tune).

I am pretty sure there was something wrong before with your car - even if you did not noticed it.

This is the reason you always go BEFORE AND AFTER on the Dyno.

If the Eurocharged Tune would be the problem, others (like Racehorse with EC-Tune) would not run 1 whole mile races full throttle with no problems. This is real stress for the car.

Good Luck!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
2006 C55
Sorry man...I've heard nothing but good things about Eurocharged, seems like you now what the error(s) were now.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 sl65
"failed to inform me, so liability is on them."
Caveat emptor

I know that I have wasted too much time reading these multitude of threads from this guy. Lets stop these threads now.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:11 AM

SL65
Originally Posted by lawrence99
"failed to inform me, so liability is on them."
Caveat emptor

I know that I have wasted too much time reading these multitude of threads from this guy. Lets stop these threads now.
When a supermarket fails to inform customers there is a "water spill in a isle shopping centre and that person slips because of this failure to inform" then "YES" liability is on them! and they get sued!

maybe your not the one with a problematic engine right now because of someone elses negligence, think before you post buddy
Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz E63
"those plugs were in the car for the last 12 years! and did there job just fine"

Just ban this guy from forum. What a joke man..
Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65
Originally Posted by SL65MONSTA
a guy who reconditions them says the new part number and the old part number are exactly the same except a voltage sticker on the outside
That is not true. The original P/N is A2751500580/A2751500480 and the new ones are A2751500780/A2751500680.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 PM

SL65
Originally Posted by sgaar
That is not true. The original P/N is A2751500580/A2751500480 and the new ones are A2751500780/A2751500680.
The part numbers only changed and a sticker issued on the newer one. Not internally changing I meant.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: DO NOT EVER GO WITH EUROCHARGED! $5K LOSS