SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Rack and Pinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
SL55 Rack and Pinion

Hi all,

So I figured out the leak in the middle of the plastic cover and it is a kinda slow leak of the rack and pinion. The liquid looks exactly like the ABC liquid so I assume they share the same pump???

It does not appear to be the O ring as it is in the bottom. Cleaned it and it leaked while the car is turned on.

Anyone with experience on how to change out the rack and pinion for a 2003 SL55?

Thanks,

J
Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by jtse
Hi all,

So I figured out the leak in the middle of the plastic cover and it is a kinda slow leak of the rack and pinion. The liquid looks exactly like the ABC liquid so I assume they share the same pump???

It does not appear to be the O ring as it is in the bottom. Cleaned it and it leaked while the car is turned on.

Anyone with experience on how to change out the rack and pinion for a 2003 SL55?

Thanks,

J
Yes, they share the same pump, but the systems are isolated (in tandem.. hence the name "tandem pump")

I would be more inclined to suspect a leaking ABC line then the rack. I would look at the respective reservoirs and inspect all of the ABC lines.
this is a useful ABC reference DOC that includes how to accurately check the fluid level.
http://mercedes-abc-drive-carefully.blogspot.com/

if you do end up needing to remove the rack, here is the WIS on that

Cheers,
Chris
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
stykshooter (04-24-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:16 AM

Wow, thanks for the WIS (Not sure what it stands for, and how you have it). BUT MAN, thanks! This will give me enough confidence to repair this thing.

I was wondering if the seals around the rack was leaking, are there any good seals possible to just do a patch up job rather than a replacement for such a slow leak?

J
Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 AM

Closer View

Far View

So, I've taken a much closer look at the leakage, and realize it is seeping oil from the above picture. I left the engine on for about 30 minutes, and kept on turning the wheel from left to right and back. After 10 minutes, I saw something of a hint of the ABC fluid, then after 20 minutes, I saw a bit of oil forming, at 30 minutes it was large enough to get a paper towel and soak very little wet.

I couldn't get it to drip, I probably have to leave it on for hours for a first drip.

I feel like I'm being perfectionist and should expect a 2003 SL55 to be seeping a little bit of oil somewhere no matter what.

Do you guys think that if I got this, and spray it on there slightly, would it be enough to stop the leakage?

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p...-repair-detail

Thank all!

J
Old 04-22-2016, 05:46 AM

Update:

I got the liquid sealant and sealed where I pictured above and it stopped it, but there was another slow leak just about 3 centimeters away, and I sealed that too after testing it. I used a Q tip to further inspect the area and found no more leaks.

Sealed the sucker up with 5 layers each and after leaving the engine on, and turning the steering wheel back and forth for 20 minutes, I saw no more leaks. I assume that I have fixed it as it only would previously take 5-10 minutes for the first signs of oil to show.

I think I took care of it.