SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Video: V12 Running on Plug n' Play ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
Video: V12 Running on Plug n' Play ECU

Discuss.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
What is.that going to do for you that programming the ECU can't do? Off hand, I'm thinking this could control a wet shot NOS kit, maybe an aftermarket wastegate, crazy big injectors, or?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by BlownV8
What is.that going to do for you that programming the ECU can't do? Off hand, I'm thinking this could control a wet shot NOS kit, maybe an aftermarket wastegate, crazy big injectors, or?
Launch control,
rolling boost,
boost by gear,
will allow for manual trans, or any other trans option really.
Integrated widebands,
flexfuel control,
nitrous control,
up to 1000hz data logging,
LIVE tuning, as in adjust on the fly,
several tune strategies selectable though cluster,
programable traction control,
meth control,
to list a few, and more to come....
Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What's that going to cost? Sure wish you guys sold a big turbo kit and I didn't have to leave my car at your shop to have it installed.......
Old 05-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Banned

Speedriven
What's that going to cost? Sure wish you guys sold a big turbo kit and I didn't have to leave my car at your shop to have it installed.......
Here's the thing- the cars we build here run great. Some of them have been running for years now. The PKGs we send out? I've had to pull techs off cars in the shop to explain to other techs in other shops how to install ROW airboxes. I can't imagine how hard it would be to hold someone's hand through that process- and for what? We charge about 40 hours of labor to do the build in-house. That's probably less than what any other tech will charge ("book" time is about 20 hours just to swap turbos, another 20 for the trans., and that hasn't gotten into the new mounts, the tuning, the killer chiller, the intercoolers, etc.), so there's no money to be saved, really, from having a local shop do it- especially if they've never done one before. So, help me out- what's to be gained from having it done on your end?
Old 05-12-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Very Interesting!

Nice to see someone who is still pushing this platform.

When can we expect to see the first car running on the street? Any plans when we can see the RED SL600 with the Big Turbos in Action?

Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Very Interesting!

Nice to see someone who is still pushing this platform.
I think this platform is just getting started, TBH ...
Old 05-12-2016, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's a time factor not money. The time it takes to ship cross country and the time it sits in your shop. I can install or have it installed and instill a sense of urgency on a local mechanic or myself while i can't do that when it is in your shop. I don't want to have my SL sitting without me being able to drive it for months and or years like some of the projects.

How long has the red car been in your shop?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

Speedriven
It's a time factor not money. The time it takes to ship cross country and the time it sits in your shop. I can install or have it installed and instill a sense of urgency on a local mechanic or myself while i can't do that when it is in your shop. I don't want to have my SL sitting without me being able to drive it for months and or years like some of the projects.
I hear what you're saying, but you're comparing an established PKG that we've done a dozen of (the turbo PKG) with guys who are, in one way or another, pushing the envelope to do something unique. Red car? Built motor, standalone, 9" conversion, coilover conversion ... that stuff takes time. Black car? Alt fuel/flex fuel- now, standalone. That stuff takes time. White R8? Ran, set a record, came back for bigger turbos. Ran, set a record, came back for trans. upgrade and drag slicks. Ran, set a record, came back for built motor and standalone. Etc.

We couldn't run a business if EVERYONE was on that kind of perpetual R&D schedule!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As I recall, the black car was in the Speedriven shop for.5 years and only gained a dozen hp?

Where are all these MB V12 cars with the big turbo upgrades?
Old 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Banned

Speedriven
As I recall, the black car was in the Speedriven shop for.5 years and only gained a dozen hp?
You've been mis-led.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Speedriven1
You've been mis-led.
Was the owner miffed at something? As I recall, that's what was posted on the forum
Old 05-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Was the owner miffed at something? As I recall, that's what was posted on the forum
We might be talking about different cars (though I doubt it), but the one I'm talking about has been home and been recently sent back for more. We're doing a built motor as I type this with custom rods and pistons (check out our Instagram).

That said, everyone has a bad day now and then, man- but forum posts are forever. I get how it can be hard to separate what's posted here from reality (especially for people who are super-active on here), but you have to treat this place like Facebook sometimes when someone posts some way over-simplified nonsense and some other person having a bad day calls him Hitler and blah blah ensues, you know? (And that's not even touching on the guys that have agendas and alliances with other shops who are deliberately out to undermine each other!)

Anyway, here's the last thing I'll say about that on this (now sort of hijacked) thread: we collect a deposit (50%) when we take an order, and collect the remaining balance when we deliver. If 95+ % of our orders aren't completed and collected on QUICKLY, we're out of business. Yet, here we are- going into our 6th year ... so something's not adding up, right? Either we're a lot better at moving stuff through than you think, or we have enough margin in our products to survive indefinitely without ever actually finishing anything. Looking around, our prices are pretty competitive ... so it must be that we're moving stuff through, no?

Chicago's a major city. Come visit it, see the sights, take a few hours to check out our shop, and find out for yourself.

Now, if you have any further desire to talk about a turbo kit, you can PM or email me, please. If you want to talk standalone, this is the right place.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:23 PM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
How well is this running?

Also, what is the level of effort to get this ported to other benzes? Is it going to be designed to be fully plug n play or is everything going to have to be handled at your shop?
Old 05-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
'06 SL65
Originally Posted by Speedriven1
We might be talking about different cars (though I doubt it), but the one I'm talking about has been home and been recently sent back for more. We're doing a built motor as I type this with custom rods and pistons (check out our Instagram).

That said, everyone has a bad day now and then, man- but forum posts are forever. I get how it can be hard to separate what's posted here from reality (especially for people who are super-active on here), but you have to treat this place like Facebook sometimes when someone posts some way over-simplified nonsense and some other person having a bad day calls him Hitler and blah blah ensues, you know? (And that's not even touching on the guys that have agendas and alliances with other shops who are deliberately out to undermine each other!)

Anyway, here's the last thing I'll say about that on this (now sort of hijacked) thread: we collect a deposit (50%) when we take an order, and collect the remaining balance when we deliver. If 95+ % of our orders aren't completed and collected on QUICKLY, we're out of business. Yet, here we are- going into our 6th year ... so something's not adding up, right? Either we're a lot better at moving stuff through than you think, or we have enough margin in our products to survive indefinitely without ever actually finishing anything. Looking around, our prices are pretty competitive ... so it must be that we're moving stuff through, no?

Chicago's a major city. Come visit it, see the sights, take a few hours to check out our shop, and find out for yourself.

Now, if you have any further desire to talk about a turbo kit, you can PM or email me, please. If you want to talk standalone, this is the right place.

The shop is legit. And that's coming from someone who has gone from wrenches to engineering. And from 30 min of conversation with Marcin and Jo, they know their business as well.

Last edited by PrecisionEngine; 05-12-2016 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Speedriven1 (07-21-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is the thread. https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...r-eyes-16.html

Sorry to hijack your thread but the elephant in the room has to be addressed. Look, my car has Speedriven downpipes, Speedriven intercoolers, Speedriven BOV's mounted on the intercoolers, black series injectors, full custom exhaust with metal cell cats, trunk intercooler expansion tank, ECU/TCU tunes from another company, and a few other things I've surely missed. I know Speedriven has good products but beside the above I have seen no real big successes from the big turbo kits from any posters on the forum.

I want the turbo upgrade but I'm not willing to let my car sit in Speedriven's shop for months let alone years. The thread posted above is why I won't ship my car there and Chicago is a long way away from Florida so it's not like I can just drop by the shop.

The things you are posting about are great and it is really expanding the market for the MB V12. I applaud you for the ideas but show me some proof. Imagine I'm from Missouri rather than Florida. You have to show me.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:44 AM
Banned

Speedriven
I applaud you for the ideas but show me some proof. Imagine I'm from Missouri rather than Florida. You have to show me.
I literally invited you to the shop to see for yourself how things work in my last post, and your response is "show me"? You have thousands of excess dollars to spend on bigger turbos for your car, but that plane ticket to Chicago is a step too far?

I'm really trying to believe you're not just actively trolling my posts, but you're making it pretty difficult.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not trolling at all. Just waiting to see some big turbo build success stories.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:40 PM
Banned

Speedriven
Not sure if you guys saw the update ...

Old 07-21-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
SL65 R230
Interesting Product!

Who would you recommend to do the tuning later, when you have access to your car?
Do you need software etc. and how do you know how far you can push your engine and tranny?

Has anyone experience with Syvecs Tuning with a V12 Biturbo Benz?

Will there be "maps" from Speedriven?

Thanks!

Last edited by AMG-Driver; 07-21-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Banned

Speedriven
Originally Posted by AMG-Driver
Interesting Product!

Who would you recommend to do the tuning later, when you have access to your car?
Do you need software etc. and how do you know how far you can push your engine and tranny?

Has anyone experience with Syvecs Tuning with a V12 Biturbo Benz?

Will there be "maps" from Speedriven?

Thanks!
I'm not sure I understand some of these questions, fully, but I'll do my best. To the first question, purchasing an ECU also buys you a few hours of live support, which most people- we assume- will spend on dyno tuning their car. We would connect remotely over the internet and help your chosen tuner/dyno guy.

On the second question, all software will be included with purchase, but you'll need a laptop with an ethernet port. As for how far you can push your engine and tranny, you'd need to talk to whoever built your engine and transmission. We're building our engines to handle about 1800 HP (150/hole), then dialing it back from there for increased reliability.

Finally, there probably won't be "maps", since most people who are spending big money on an ECU like this will have a 1-off car, it wouldn't make sense. Additionally, the ECU tunes itself to a target AFR using the wide bands, so there's really no need, in most cases.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Looking forward to seeing your results on a big turbo build with this system. This may really help achieve some big numbers.
The following users liked this post:
Speedriven1 (07-21-2016)